C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 charging intermittent "Voltage Too High" - 17+volts - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:26 PM
C6bass
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have C6 06
Fuse #2 horn/alt sense was blown. The horn stop working two days before this started. I checked the voltage on the alternator n battery and getting a reading of 15.7v to 18.7v. The horn is bad sounds like if under water. Replaced fuse n horn problem fixed! ����
Old 07-30-2022, 09:54 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
It's very safe to say.....that your alternator is no good.

07 Corvettes have a tendency to have alternator problems.

If you have ever made WOT accelerations to redline with aggressive shifts
then you have the potential to kill an 07 Corvette alternator.

I have at least 4 or 5 alternators FROM 07 CORVETTES ONLY that failed immediately after WOT shifts.

The centrifugal forces inside the alternator (keep in mind that the cooling fan of the alternator is INSIDE the unit and not outside) cause the cooling fan to "GROW" with high rpm and cause the fan to short against the field windings causing the regulator to fail, the diode to fail, or the field to become directly shorted.

Sometimes they will smoke, smell like burnt plastic, or just not charge.

I have seen on occasion that they set a "service charge system" message and code and after clearing the code they drive fine for years....

Trust me.... 07's don't last.

Chuck CoW

Sorry for the necropost but this is the exact issue with my 07 Z06 and after some searches this post seemed to have my symptoms/fix so adding some info. All this started about 18months ago: My 2007 Z06 had been running perfectly, actually broke into the 9s(9.97@137mph) that day BUT after some hard runs, OEM alternator took a dump, it was the voltage regulator inside the alt after some troubleshooting - I had these symptoms right after some runs, heading home:

Smelled burned plastic
High Voltage (about 17-18vDC)
DIC message stating that "Service charging system"
DIC messages stating that ABS needs servicing
Radio turned off
AC turned off
Heads up display turned off

I replaced the battery initially since it was an old batt and replaced the alternator with a Mechman "S" Series 240 Amp Alternator and all was fine for about 18months.

Issue just returned this past week. SAME EXACT SYMPTOMS as above; all after some runs & high revving pulls. Suspect the voltage regulator inside the alternator but will double check everything else. Calling Mechman on Monday and seeing if they can service the alt soon, in the meantime I'm double checking any fuses, wiring at the fuse box and starter.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:41 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

About 4 months ago, the alternator in my 2011 GS (with 25,000 miles) took a dump.

High voltage caused by a failed voltage regulator inside the alternator.

Here is the thread I posted that tells the story ...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-driving.html

Quick Reply: C6 charging intermittent "Voltage Too High" - 17+volts - Ideas?