C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rattle - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Brake Rattle - FIXED

I've had an annoying brake rattle on my 07 c6 coupe that has been getting worse and worse. I finally got tired of it and fixed it.

At slow speeds, through the sub, I could hear a rattle coming from the passenger side when passing other cars (reflected sound). When lightly pressing the brakes the sound disappeared, so I figured it had to be the brakes.

I traced it to the front. Took the wheel off and then grabbed the caliper and noticed I could wiggle it. There was a slight clanking sound.

Took the top bolt off of the caliper and rotated the caliper out of the way (suspended with a cord so as not to strain the brake line).

I then noticed the inside brake pad was very loose. I figured this was the cause.

I ended up taking both pads off, then the anti-rattle clips (top and bottom). I bent the end sections of both clips that held the brake pad in by the metal tab on the brake backing. I figured this would provide some extra tension to keep things tight.

Also, I put some anti-squeal paste on both brake pad backs to keep them in place better.

My first test drive resulted in silent brakes in the sub at low speeds. I'll see how this holds out. I was prepared to order some caliper pins and bolts but this may just do the trick.

Last edited by thirtythird; 06-15-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Good info, thanks for passing it on.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:24 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

After a few more hundred miles all is quiet. I believe this fix was is the right one. For those that develop this rattle, try bending the anti-rattle clip and applying some anti-squeal compound like I did. Keeps your car from sounding like a bucket of bolts!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Rattle - FIXED

Quick Reply: Brake Rattle - FIXED