C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Power Steering(PS) Pump swap taking PS pump alternator bracket off car

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6 Power Steering(PS) Pump swap taking PS pump alternator bracket off car

Maybe its the 295 wide tires I run on the front that wipes out the Power steering pump... keep scrolling down for text between pictures.

I bought an aftermarket PS pump from TurnOne that regears the pump so it spins less. I swapped it for my burned up Delco that i sent back in for warranty. I have that brand new Delco one for sale.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...post1574651233
You will need a press/tool to take the pulley off the PS shaft making sure you measure to place the pulley precisely in the exact location it was. GM has you use that tool right on the car..since i do not have the tool, I had to take the pump off the car and take it to vettech in Houston for them to do the swap. unloosen belt tension-er. you can see that i have already used spacers to move the ABS unit away from the PS pulley.

There are 4 bolts that attach the PS/Alt bracket to the block. this pic shows how to reach the farthest and unloosen a little bit at a time.

on my setup i had to take the PS reservoir off too to get to the bracket bolts.

once the bracket is off Plug the steering column so no contaminants get into the system. the hose wraps completely around the steering column and is a PITA.

take the whole thing to your mechanic to have the power steering pump swapped. don't forget to re-install the outlet hose prior to re-installing the pulley.

car has a Z51 package with the PS cooler. I replaced with a JEGS double size and used same hoses. used zip ties for mounting

pfadt anti-sway bars and supercharger tubing routing to intercooler

crowded

reinstall in reverse order. make sure the belt is placed correctly and tightened to specs. No leaks so far

Last edited by drivinfast; 07-10-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Very timely -- thank you. I have a Turn One pump in my garage that I need to install and was hesitant because the GM service manual says you have to remove the ABS module and then do an ABS bleed. Very happy to see that that is not necessary.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:37 PM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool. You may want to fab up some brackets for the power steering cooler. Zip ties can break... usually at the most inopportune moment.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Very timely -- thank you. I have a Turn One pump in my garage that I need to install and was hesitant because the GM service manual says you have to remove the ABS module and then do an ABS bleed. Very happy to see that that is not necessary.
my ABS unit is moved away from the pulley about 1/4" with spacers...so it was way easier.

Just take your time, patience. i had to walk away a few times, get a beer. instead of breaking something...

thats what i swapped it with a TurnOne.

I did not mention the bleeding of the new fluid. once installed and with tires off still on jacks:
add fluid
turn steering wheel or rotors back and forth all the way 10 times or so.
then keep adding fluid until no bubbles appear....i never saw any at all, but thats the instructions.
then start car
turn steering wheel again same procedure
make sure no bubbles and reservoir stays same level
lower car
test drive.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:56 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steve@AandACorvette
Very cool. You may want to fab up some brackets for the power steering cooler. Zip ties can break... usually at the most inopportune moment.
yep ur right. did you see how I put a rubber piece where the down hose from SC is to protect against the fins rubbing?

I moved the stock one and got a larger one from where i had it installed previously

Last edited by drivinfast; 06-29-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 07-05-2010, 04:21 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Thanks again for posting this, Mark. I got my Turn One pump in today following your instructions. What a messy job (my old pump was leaking, so there was PS fluid and grime everywhere). Didn't have to crack open a single brake line so I am good to go!

Bert
Old 07-05-2010, 08:42 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Thanks again for posting this, Mark. I got my Turn One pump in today following your instructions. What a messy job (my old pump was leaking, so there was PS fluid and grime everywhere). Didn't have to crack open a single brake line so I am good to go!

Bert
awesome. yep for me it took many pairs of disposable gloves
Old 10-23-2010, 09:34 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Default Follow Up -- Replace the Pressure Line!

After following these steps to replace my leaky pump, my leaks did not stay away for long. The C6 pressure line (between the pump and steering box) has a tendency to fail. Mine did and I had to do this entire repair a second time. What a pain.

GM has a newly designed pressure hose that is significantly different (and more costly) than the original C6 line -- I've heard it is more like the C5 hose design. I am hoping now not to see any power steering fluid underneath my car again for a long, long time.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Adis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I'm going to need to do this repair. PS fluid all over the engine bay after spirited driving. Thanks for posting your progress with great pics. A few questions to help visualize this repair:

1. I haven't determined where the PS failure is. How did you tell if it was a pressure line failure or a pump failure (these seem to be the two main points of failure.)

2. Which TurnOne pump did you use the T40Y or the T40YZR1? EDIT: Just got off the phone with TurnOne, it's the T40Y.

3. Do you have a part number for the improved GM pressure line?

4. You mention "making sure you measure to place the pulley precisely in the exact location it was." What do you mean. pressing it to the same location on the pump shaft so the belt lines up? EDIT: For $70 TurnOne will install their custom pulley on their pump, so I don't need to worry about pulling/pressing tools and which provides easier access to the mounting bolts for future access.

5. What part number is your replacement oil cooler? I too have SC ducting in the same spot and I still have the monospring, so I need to get a larger cooler, but one that will fit in the stock location (although with all the hot air from the rad, I wonder if it is actually cooling the fluid?)

Thanks for any help. - adis

Last edited by Adis; 06-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adis
3. Do you have a part number for the improved GM pressure line?
You can no longer buy the short C6 original $60 pressure line. You have to buy the redesigned longer C6 (C5 design) $150 one.

C6 Short Design (no more stock)

C6 Long Design
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Looks like I'm going to need to do this repair. PS fluid all over the engine bay after spirited driving. Thanks for posting your progress with great pics. A few questions to help visualize this repair:

1. I haven't determined where the PS failure is. How did you tell if it was a pressure line failure or a pump failure (these seem to be the two main points of failure.) the power steering stopped working this is a Pain to replace, so make sure you diagnose correctly

2. Which TurnOne pump did you use the T40Y or the T40YZR1? EDIT: Just got off the phone with TurnOne, it's the T40Y.

3. Do you have a part number for the improved GM pressure line? answered

4. You mention "making sure you measure to place the pulley precisely in the exact location it was." What do you mean. pressing it to the same location on the pump shaft so the belt lines up? EDIT: For $70 TurnOne will install their custom pulley on their pump, so I don't need to worry about pulling/pressing tools and which provides easier access to the mounting bolts for future access.

5. What part number is your replacement oil cooler? I too have SC ducting in the same spot and I still have the monospring, so I need to get a larger cooler, but one that will fit in the stock location (although with all the hot air from the rad, I wonder if it is actually cooling the fluid?) I just ordered a larger one from summit or jegs. and used the clamps that came with it. I doubt you need one really.

Thanks for any help. - see highlighted
The following users liked this post:
Thebigblue (05-04-2016)
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Adis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. That's an awesome rendering BTW, a lot clearer than the manual. where'd you get it? I was wondering why my pressure line was so long - now I know. The redesigned C5 line must have been installed from the factory on my 2010. This actually helps, since somehow my reservoir was overfilled by about 80 ml of fluid. I'm guessing a seal in the pump...
Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

There are several threads around indicating that an overfilled reservoir will cause what you experienced. could be thats all it is.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:46 AM
Yasei
Instructor

You can no longer buy the short C6 original $60 pressure line. You have to buy the redesigned longer C6 (C5 design) $150 one.

C6 Short Design (no more stock)

C6 Long Design

Hey the pic for the long design is missing, but does anyone have a pic of it? I'm thinking it's the one in this pic:

Anyone able to confirm? So is this the hose you replace when installing a flip drive? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Good write up. One thing worth doing is cutting the holes on the power steering pump bracket into slots. You can then remove/replace it without fully removing the bolts which is a pain to do.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve@AandACorvette
I agree with Steve that nylon zip ties WILL break over time. They get brittle due to heat/age. Instead, I highly recommend stainless steel zip ties. They are available on Amazon.com

BJK
Attached Images  

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 12-07-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Yasei
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yasei
Hey the pic for the long design is missing, but does anyone have a pic of it? I'm thinking it's the one in this pic:

Anyone able to confirm? So is this the hose you replace when installing a flip drive? Thanks!
Anyone know about these hoses?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Power Steering(PS) Pump swap taking PS pump alternator bracket off car

Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 PM
lathrash
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a picture I have showing the longer hose...

Name:  KW8Xebf.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  412.4 KB

I bought one recently and it looked like the one in your picture. Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
joliett (09-19-2020)
Old 12-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Yasei
Instructor

Originally Posted by lathrash
Here is a picture I have showing the longer hose...

I bought one recently and it looked like the one in your picture. Hope that helps.
Thanks so much for this!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After following these steps to replace my leaky pump, my leaks did not stay away for long. The C6 pressure line (between the pump and steering box) has a tendency to fail. Mine did and I had to do this entire repair a second time. What a pain.

GM has a newly designed pressure hose that is significantly different (and more costly) than the original C6 line -- I've heard it is more like the C5 hose design. I am hoping now not to see any power steering fluid underneath my car again for a long, long time.
I did the reverse. I should have chaned my stupid power steering pump while I had it in my hand...

Now I have to go back in and replace the pump!

Quick Reply: C6 Power Steering(PS) Pump swap taking PS pump alternator bracket off car