C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Activating XM Band on 05 US9 Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 PM
CUTiger80
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Activating XM Band on 05 US9 Radio

Guys, I am looking for any insight that any of you can provide on this modification to my US9 radio. I have been communicating with Ray Kawal to install the PAL (Personal Audio Link) in my 05 Coupe. Here is the situation. I have the stock US9 (non-NAV with 6-disk CD changer) radio without XM. The BAND button on the radio toggles between AM, FM1 and FM2 (but not XM1 or XM2). I have the XM connector in the wiring harness located above the left rear wheel well. The PAL plugs into the XM connector in the wiring harness and looks like an XM receiver to the radio. When you switch the radio to the XM1 band, you can control your iPod from the radio controls. That is the way it is supposed to work. In my case, when I install the PAL unit, the radio does not see it and therefore will not allow me to switch to the XM1 band. I have gone to the dealer to see if they can connect their TECH 2 or other device to the car and force the radio to recognize the PAL device and activate the XM1 band. So far, they have not been able to do this, but I am not impressed with their technical savy or their willingness to try and figure it out. Can anyone give me any insight on how I can make this work? Surely if I were to buy an XM receiver there would be a way to make it work with my radio. HELP!!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 AM
sandbarking
7th Gear

Im in the same boat... did you figure it out?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:46 PM
CUTiger80
Heel & Toe

Nothing yet. I'm sure that Ray and Mediatronics are working on it. This may take some time.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A few years ago, I installed XM on a Chevrolet SSR. I had a similar problem. The issue was a jumper harness which would install either way, but only one way was correct. I reversed the jumper harness connectors and everything worked properly.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

This came up recently in another thread in both General and Audio/Electronics Forums..

If the head unit has never had XM activated, then the dealer has to program it do so.

In the previous thread the dealer in question had no idea what to do and thought the car owner was misinformed.

Apparently they checked with GM and figured out how to activate XM, making the bands finally appear.

Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Local dealer just reset my radio to receive XM. They didn't understand what I wanted. They kept telling me that I do not have XM and I had to explain how the stock head will recognize XM even if it isn't there.

So now it recognizes my iPhone!!!

Bought my set up off Dennis at Double D Mods. Thanks again Dennis!

Now I can listen to radio stations all over the world!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The tech will hook up the Tech II tool and program the modual. When it asks for the RPO code (US9) it will ask if it has digital satellite (UK2, I think) Tell it yes, even if you do not have XM. shut the radio and car off and then restart them and it will read it.

Get notified of new replies

To Activating XM Band on 05 US9 Radio

Quick Reply: Activating XM Band on 05 US9 Radio