C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Rob Joyner
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Swap

I have an '08 base model 430hp with manual trans and 50k miles. I'm considering doing a cam swap to get a little more hp/tq, but mainly I'm interested in a definite lopey idle as I've always found it enjoyable. I have the NPP exhaust system and will retain it.
I've seen so many negative comments from several years ago on Corvette Forum about the GM "hot cam" # 88958733 GM promotes that I'm hesitant to go this route. GM video here:
I'm told that my stock valve springs are good for .530 lift and this cam stays within this parameter at .525. GM also says this cam will give me 50 more hp and 50 more ft lb. tq. Retaining the stock valvetrain and exhaust will definitely help me keep the cost down.
I'm not interested in all out hp/tq since driveline dependability is a concern also.
From what I can tell the only thing that needs to be changed is the cam itself. I notice that there is a tool that holds the lifters away from the cam, and a tool that holds the dampener away from the chain, so I don't even need to pull the intake, the dampener, or even the oil pump. This cam has been around since at least 2009, so it's not anything new. Suggestions?

Host: edit my post if you want to remove the link showing in full, retaining only the link. I don't know how to do this.

Last edited by Rob Joyner; 02-05-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

There are better cams out there than the hot cam. Research the subject of cams here on the forum as there are many options. As for me I did a comp cam grind with the following specs 230/234 .613/.598 114. I choose this cam because of its reputation of a good balance of power and drive ability.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:14 AM
arkentect
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon619
There are better cams out there than the hot cam. Research the subject of cams here on the forum as there are many options. As for me I did a comp cam grind with the following specs 230/234 .613/.598 114. I choose this cam because of its reputation of a good balance of power and drive ability.
Any videos of the cam in your car. currently doing my research, and I'm leaning towards LGs G6x3
Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Joyner
I have an '08 base model 430hp with manual trans and 50k miles. I'm considering doing a cam swap to get a little more hp/tq, but mainly I'm interested in a definite lopey idle as I've always found it enjoyable. I have the NPP exhaust system and will retain it.
I've seen so many negative comments from several years ago on Corvette Forum about the GM "hot cam" # 88958733 GM promotes that I'm hesitant to go this route. GM video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1hy-BMiJds I'm told that my stock valve springs are good for .530 lift and this cam stays within this parameter at .525. GM also says this cam will give me 50 more hp and 50 more ft lb. tq. Retaining the stock valvetrain and exhaust will definitely help me keep the cost down.
I'm not interested in all out hp/tq since driveline dependability is a concern also.
From what I can tell the only thing that needs to be changed is the cam itself. I notice that there is a tool that holds the lifters away from the cam, and a tool that holds the dampener away from the chain, so I don't even need to pull the intake, the dampener, or even the oil pump. This cam has been around since at least 2009, so it's not anything new. Suggestions?

Host: edit my post if you want to remove the link showing in full, retaining only the link. I don't know how to do this.
I would suggest you find a competent tuner to help you with this as he will need to tune the car when your done. If you are anyware near Delaware then Josh at Horse Power Addicts is who I use.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam Swap

Quick Reply: Cam Swap