C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal to the Floor ?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 03:25 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Clutch Pedal to the Floor ?????

High RPM got me---3rd gear shift & the clutch pedal went down & will not come up, but clutch is engaged??? The fluid was black--changed it--pedal still down--everything together--no parts falling off--pedal goes up & down by hand, but not disengaging. Actually, the car will run after pushing start button—no unusual noises when running. Can someone reply who has experienced this & can give me a probable cause & remedy? Thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 03:36 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by secrt0007agt
High RPM got me---3rd gear shift & the clutch pedal went down & will not come up, but clutch is engaged??? The fluid was black--changed it--pedal still down--everything together--no parts falling off--pedal goes up & down by hand, but not disengaging. Actually, the car will run after pushing start button—no unusual noises when running. Can someone reply who has experienced this & can give me a probable cause & remedy? Thanks
Read this: http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html. Then change the fluid again..
Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No, no, no, don't do anything, there are guys on this forum who think black fluid is perfectly normal...

It will take a few more cycles to clear it up. Personally when I bought my 08, it had 22K and the fluid was black. It took a full bottle to get cycled through before it would stop sticking to the floor on WOT speedshifts, even though the fluid had cleared up earlier, I kept at it. It got to the point where I was keeping the resivour clean every other weekend and at 500whp speedshifts, it never gave me a problem after that.

Keep cleaning it, it will clear itself up.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
No, no, no, don't do anything, there are guys on this forum who think black fluid is perfectly normal...

It will take a few more cycles to clear it up. Personally when I bought my 08, it had 22K and the fluid was black. It took a full bottle to get cycled through before it would stop sticking to the floor on WOT speedshifts, even though the fluid had cleared up earlier, I kept at it. It got to the point where I was keeping the resivour clean every other weekend and at 500whp speedshifts, it never gave me a problem after that.

I have been thru one 12oz of DOT4 and it still come up brown (was black), but the pedal will not come back up without assistance--how long does this go on for before I get my clutch back?

Last edited by secrt0007agt; 08-07-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:17 PM
lytmup
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its due to a cheap crappy design by GM of the clutch in the car. (the diaphragm isnt strong enough to overcome the centripetal forces inside at high RPM's).

That is combined with the fact that GM runs the hydraulic lines beside the exhaust all of the way back to the clutch and the fluid gets boiled (causing the black fluid and air).

That link to Ranger's fix DOES work short term, BUT is really a band-aid. The real solution is to get a better (aka heavier) clutch.

I believe that GM even has a TSB about the issue but I cant seem to find the number.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:28 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

As others have said, if you are driving hard you need to stay on top of that fluid maintenance, maybe weekly. Here are the 2 pertinent GM docs, follow the procedures exactly, as needed:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/kens...al-effort.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1561070929-post3.html
Old 08-07-2010, 09:00 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by secrt0007agt
I have been thru one 12oz of DOT4 and it still come up brown (was black), but the pedal will not come back up without assistance--how long does this go on for before I get my clutch back?
Until it goes from brown to clear, it can be a problem. Even when clear it was a few weeks where it would still give me a problem. Work through another bottle.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 PM
kev101
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2

black fluid is normal. u could change it it wil turn black asap due to seals..ok
Old 08-08-2010, 11:58 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kev101
black fluid is normal. u could change it it wil turn black asap due to seals..ok

It turns black due to clutch dust getting into the fluid-

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pedal to the Floor ?????

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal to the Floor ?????