C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will OEM ZR1 rear wheels and qtr panels bolt on to base?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
mhack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will OEM ZR1 rear wheels and qtr panels bolt on to base?

Will rear OEM ZR1 wheels fit base with no problems?

I know the Z06 and ZR1 frame is aluminum, but is it exactly the same?
Anyone done this before?

Also can I buy OEM Z06/ZR1 qtr panels and bolt them up on base?

Sorry if this was already discussed.

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mhack
Will rear OEM ZR1 wheels fit base with no problems?

I know the Z06 and ZR1 frame is aluminum, but is it exactly the same?
Anyone done this before?

Also can I buy OEM Z06/ZR1 qtr panels and bolt them up on base?

Sorry if this was already discussed.

Thank you.
OEM ZR1/Z06 wheels won't fit a base without sticking out.

No idea why you're asking about the Z06 and ZR1 frame. It's cheaper to buy a Z06 or ZR1 than to replace the frame. The C6.R GT1 uses a steel frame.

OEM Z06 rear quarter panels bolt up fine to base. I know.

San
Old 09-16-2010, 12:27 AM
mhack
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldmansan
OEM ZR1/Z06 wheels won't fit a base without sticking out.

No idea why you're asking about the Z06 and ZR1 frame. It's cheaper to buy a Z06 or ZR1 than to replace the frame. The C6.R GT1 uses a steel frame.

OEM Z06 rear quarter panels bolt up fine to base. I know.

San
Well, I understand they will stick out, that's why I asked about panels.

But do they just bolt on (OEM ZR1 20x12")?

I mentioned the frame, because maybe Z06/ZR1 has different hardware points in there, so in base rear suspension will rub or interfere somehow with ZR1's 20x12"?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Well, I understand they will stick out, that's why I asked about panels.

But do they just bolt on (OEM ZR1 20x12")?

I mentioned the frame, because maybe Z06/ZR1 has different hardware points in there, so in base rear suspension will rub or interfere somehow with ZR1's 20x12"?
Your original post makes it clear you didn't/don't understand if the ZR1 wheels would fit, let alone if they'd stick out. Asking about panels doesn't imply knowledge about offsets or wheel fitment.

Without knowing the offset of OEM ZR1 wheels it's hard to say if they'd fit. That said I would never recommend 20" wheels on a performance car. It sounds like you're after looks, not performance. Best of luck.

San
Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You'll need to do a wide body rear mod to fit the rear OEM 20" ZR1 wheels. The Z06/ZR1 rear fenders/etc will bolt up to the base car. The chassis material has no bearing on the attachment points.

Check with Gene Culley (GMPartsHouse) for the entire 'widebooty' kit.

Your bigger challenge may be finding ZR1 wheels (19") for the front that have the required offset to fit under the stock C6 front fenders. Unless you plan on also doing the much more expensive front end mod to go with the rears.

Many who have done this mod find that the base brakes look a little puny behind the larger wheels/tires/fenders. And, adding big brakes complicates the wheel selection.

One downside of this cosmetic mod is that all this extra un-sprung weight will definitely have a negative effect on handling.

Good Luck

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 09-16-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 AM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Yes. You will need to install a rear widebody which will bolt right up, this will included also changing your wheel liners and brake ducts. After market wheels are available and they will fit. If you don't install the widebody rear they will stick out. "Search" widebody and your questions will be answered. Good Luck.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
mhack
Instructor

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
Yes. You will need to install a rear widebody which will bolt right up, this will included also changing your wheel liners and brake ducts. After market wheels are available and they will fit. If you don't install the widebody rear they will stick out. "Search" widebody and your questions will be answered. Good Luck.
Thank you for the answers.

So if I buy OEM ZR1 wheels, they will bolt up with no issues (other than sticking out) to my rear body?

No rubbing issues etc?

Later on I'm planning on doing front/rear conversion and brake conversion.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you for the answers.

So if I buy OEM ZR1 wheels, they will bolt up with no issues (other than sticking out) to my rear body?

No rubbing issues etc?

Later on I'm planning on doing front/rear conversion and brake conversion.
They will bolt on BUT the first major bump you hit will drive the tire into or thru the fender/inner fender. There is not enough room under a base rear fender for the ZR1 wheel/tire. Thats why you have to do the wide body to get the wide wheel/tire.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM
mhack
Instructor

Originally Posted by haljensen
They will bolt on BUT the first major bump you hit will drive the tire into or thru the fender/inner fender. There is not enough room under a base rear fender for the ZR1 wheel/tire. Thats why you have to do the wide body to get the wide wheel/tire.
Thank you!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:50 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

I am planning on close to the same thing. I will buy the rear widebody kit from Gene and then get AFTERMARKET ZR1 wheels (19x12 I think). OEM ZR1 wheels are about 3-4 times more than the aftermarket ones. You can get the aftermarket front wheels in the same size as our base stock wheels and then go for the aftermarket rear ZR1 wheels to fit into the widebody rear fenders. I don't plan on buying the front wide body simply because of the cost which I think is around 3-4k where the rear wide body is around 1200.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good plan of attack.

There always seem to be posts about Members having problems with inexpensive, aftermarket reproduction wheels.

I'm not suggesting that they all are bad, but I would stick with a trusted Forum Vendor and ask if they check the wheels for any problems before they ship.

And if they warrant them.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM
steve m baker
Racer

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Your original post makes it clear you didn't/don't understand if the ZR1 wheels would fit, let alone if they'd stick out. Asking about panels doesn't imply knowledge about offsets or wheel fitment.

Without knowing the offset of OEM ZR1 wheels it's hard to say if they'd fit. That said I would never recommend 20" wheels on a performance car. It sounds like you're after looks, not performance. Best of luck.

San
So this said a ZR1 is just for looks and not performance?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by steve m baker
So this said a ZR1 is just for looks and not performance?
Do you see 20-inch wheels on a C6R? Do you not understand rotational weight or unsprung weight and how it affects steering, handling and braking?

I said I wouldn't recommend 20-inch for a sports car and I don't. My C6 came with 19s in the back. It sports 18s all around now.

The 19 and 20-inch wheels and tires on the ZR1 add unnecessary weight without benefits. I'm sure GM did it to clear the brakes on a budget. With the proper offset 18s will clear the ZR1 brakes. I know some CCWs do and I'd guess some of the Forgelines would as well.

I always recommend going with the smallest wheel that will clear your brakes and support the widest tire you'll run. You're free to do as you choose.

San
Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by **** Jockey

Good plan of attack.

There always seem to be posts about Members having problems with inexpensive, aftermarket reproduction wheels.

I'm not suggesting that they all are bad, but I would stick with a trusted Forum Vendor and ask if they check the wheels for any problems before they ship.

And if they warrant them.

agreed, there are a couple of forum vendors like tirerack and RPI that sells the ZR1 replica's for around 1k for a set. I called my dealer for OEM ones and they wanted around 5K for a set.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Loaded08
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dads toy
agreed, there are a couple of forum vendors like tirerack and RPI that sells the ZR1 replica's for around 1k for a set. I called my dealer for OEM ones and they wanted around 5K for a set.
The OEMs probably are probably lighter...
Old 09-19-2010, 10:08 PM
shor0814
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make your search easier, search for "widebooty" which will return more relevant results.

Get notified of new replies

To Will OEM ZR1 rear wheels and qtr panels bolt on to base?

Quick Reply: Will OEM ZR1 rear wheels and qtr panels bolt on to base?