C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do I have to remove the torque tube??

Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Fastlane14
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do I have to remove the torque tube??

To pull the trans and diff do I have to remove the torque tube as well, and then install it put back together, or should I just unbolt the trans from the torque tube and leave that in the car, then stab the trans back in after repairs?? thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can just unbolt the trans from the torque tube. You may have to loosen the flexplate or whatever its called back there. Its not that much extra work to unbolt it from the bell housing but its a PITA to put it back unless you have a helper.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can unbolt the trans from the back of the torque tube. Remember to disconnect the linkage to the shifter first.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Fastlane14
Intermediate

Thanks guys, almost got it all done last night less pulling the trans, got the cradle on the ground, you 2 have some sweet looking cars, its funny, my mom says my car looks like the batmobile as well...I love that dangerous look the black cars with black wheels have.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastlane14
To pull the trans and diff do I have to remove the torque tube as well, and then install it put back together, or should I just unbolt the trans from the torque tube and leave that in the car, then stab the trans back in after repairs?? thanks
I have a How To guide that I put together. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the link.

And no, you don't need to remove the torque tube but it is a very good idea to put a jack or jackstand under the rear of it as well as the rear of the engine to prevent damage to your firewall.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Fastlane14
Intermediate

Default seperate diff from trans??

oh one more thing, should I pull the trans with the diff or seperate?? whats easier to do alone, no help tonite. thanks guys
Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Like Sparo said above, don't forget to disconnect the shift linkage AND put it back together after the trans is bolted up to the torque tube.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Fastlane14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
I have a How To guide that I put together. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the link.

And no, you don't need to remove the torque tube but it is a very good idea to put a jack or jackstand under the rear of it as well as the rear of the engine to prevent damage to your firewall.
that would be great,

My email is Fastlane14@gmail.com

I love the corvette community, everyone has been a huge help with all this, thanks everyone for all the support in making a bad situation easier

ie exploaded diff and bent output shaft
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA

that would be great,

My email is Fastlane14@gmail.com

I love the corvette community, everyone has been a huge help with all this, thanks everyone for all the support in making a bad situation easier

ie exploaded diff and bent output shaft
I just sent it. Good luck with everything.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Fastlane14
Intermediate

Im an idiot, my email is Lane1472@gmail.com sorry for the confusion
Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Im an idiot, my email is Lane1472@gmail.com sorry for the confusion
Not a problem, I just forwarded it to the correct address.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pull the diff off first and then the trans...especially if you don't have help. Be careful though, as these parts are heavy. I dropped the diff and then the trans myself with no jack. I reinstalled it the same way too. I don't recommend it though. Some people get hurt doing it like this. The car was on jack stands to.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:04 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took mine off together. But I had an extra set of hands the first time as well.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Fastlane14
Intermediate

cant figure out how to disconnect the shifter linkage guys...all thats left and it should come out....looking at it has got me nowhere on that, I know its gotta be simple..thanks
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

cant figure out how to disconnect the shifter linkage guys...all thats left and it should come out....looking at it has got me nowhere on that, I know its gotta be simple..thanks
All you need to do is remove the single bolt holding the linkage to the side of the transmission. Everything else can be left in place.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Fastlane14
Intermediate

my car is a 6-speed t56 manual shift...not an automatic, I think you are talking about an auto trans??
Old 10-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Subfloor is talking about the one bolt on top of the trans that holds the shifter linkage to the transmission. It's a jam bolt on the end of the joint of the shifter linkage back on top of the trans. I gave you bad info - I didn't realize you cold get to that bolt with the tube in the car, so I gave you instructions on how to remove the shifter in the car. Sorry about that, I hadn't seen this thread when I got your PM. Christopher and Sparo2 are experts in trans removal (sorry to say for them! lol) so listen to their advice.

Last edited by Joe_G; 10-08-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To do I have to remove the torque tube??

Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Fastlane14
Intermediate

Thats the thing..I dont think I can get to that bolt, I see the shifter linkage, and it seems no way possible to disconect it right there, I still think the tube has to come out, I am almost positive they thought my car was a automatic, I will try agian when I get home to get to that bolt, I didnt even see one there, nor find any way to get to it, I know right where you are talking about, and that would make things so much easier to just disconnect it at that spot, mabye they will post soon and give us some clarification. I am no dummie when it comes to taking things apart, and this hang up is whippin my a** lol. I need the trans out to take it to get rebuilt and boy is this costing me some time. Its m fault for not specifing that m car was a stick..I think their cars were automatics and thats where the confusion is, I just need to know, if its a stick how do you disocnnect the linkage...At thins point I dont think you were in the wrong about the console having to come apart, because I see it no way possible to get at that bolt on the end of the linkage at the trans, all I see is a tiny set screw inside the tube belhousing where it connects to the trans. I want to leave the tube in the car if at all possible. Aparantly Im an idiot....

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Subfloor is talking about the one bolt on top of the trans that holds the shifter linkage to the transmission. It's a jam bolt on the end of the joint of the shifter linkage back on top of the trans. I gave you bad info - I didn't realize you cold get to that bolt with the tube in the car, so I gave you instructions on how to remove the shifter in the car. Sorry about that, I hadn't seen this thread when I got your PM. Christopher and Sparo2 are experts in trans removal (sorry to say for them! lol) so listen to their advice.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Thats the thing..I dont think I can get to that bolt, I see the shifter linkage, and it seems no way possible to disconect it right there, I still think the tube has to come out, I am almost positive they thought my car was a automatic, I will try agian when I get home to get to that bolt, I didnt even see one there, nor find any way to get to it, I know right where you are talking about, and that would make things so much easier to just disconnect it at that spot, mabye they will post soon and give us some clarification. I am no dummie when it comes to taking things apart, and this hang up is whippin my a** lol. I need the trans out to take it to get rebuilt and boy is this costing me some time. Its m fault for not specifing that m car was a stick..I think their cars were automatics and thats where the confusion is, I just need to know, if its a stick how do you disocnnect the linkage...At thins point I dont think you were in the wrong about the console having to come apart, because I see it no way possible to get at that bolt on the end of the linkage at the trans, all I see is a tiny set screw inside the tube belhousing where it connects to the trans. I want to leave the tube in the car if at all possible. Aparantly Im an idiot....
Send me a PM and I'll let you log in to my Alldata account which has writeups for most major operations like what you're trying to do.

Christopher
Old 10-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I tried to find the picture of the trans...there is a stub sticking out of the top of the trans that the shifter rod connects to. Then, the shifter rod goes over it and the bolt fits in a keyway and keeps the linkage from pulling off the stub coming out of the trans.

Sparo do you have any pics laying around??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: do I have to remove the torque tube??