C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Install- Factory Vaccume or EZ-Tap Location????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default NPP Install- Factory Vaccume or EZ-Tap Location????

I am going to tackle my NPP install tomorrow, and had a few questions about a retro install (2008 NPP on 2008 C6 w/ NPP in a box.)

I finally got everything together, and have been going over what needs to happen for a smooth install. Due to the tight location of the factory vaccume location, I elected to purchase the EZ Tap to get vaccume without having to cut your hands trying to get to the factory location.

Another vendor mentioned

"Our kit taps vacuum at the factory npp location. We would never recommend to remove a crtical engine senrsor Auchincloss as the map sensor and then tap vacuum with a tee fitting. If there is a leak at that location your engine could be damaged due to an incorrect reading of he engines load."

Any comments on whether I should use the EZ Tap method or the factory location for my NPP in a box install?

PLEASE HELP! ALL OPINIONS APPRECIATED!!!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 PM
2scary
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the EZ tap with no issues at all!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2scary
Thanks for your response! Also mentioned was the factory location does not allow your to swap back to stock easily since your have to twist/break that tab.... though I think you could simply run a "lead" line and then plug it.

I am still mixed on this- and heck, it may not mean a difference... but I am 52/48 for going with the factory location...

:will y:
Old 10-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Default Best to keep an eye on it.

I tapped the hose from the valley cover port to the intake manifold. The OEM hose is fairly heavy & held the tap leak free, but the vacuum line provided in the Sunset Orange M2W kit was much more pliable & either from heat or pressure or both expanded & thus started leaking. I just cut the end off & went one size larger on the tap & sealed leak, but it's something I'm gonna keep my eye on.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Villareale
I tapped the hose from the valley cover port to the intake manifold. The OEM hose is fairly heavy & held the tap leak free, but the vacuum line provided in the Sunset Orange M2W kit was much more pliable & either from heat or pressure or both expanded & thus started leaking. I just cut the end off & went one size larger on the tap & sealed leak, but it's something I'm gonna keep my eye on.

I am new at this... So forgive me if this is dumb. What/where is the valley port? I assume this is a ez tap location, and not the factory nipple in the rear of the intake?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 08:54 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2scary
Although I don't see a real problem using the EZ Tap, I used the factory location for the reasons mentioned. Was it a PINA? Yes but you only need some patience and only have to do it once and it was worth it to me to have it connected the way the factory does it.

If you ever wanted to go back to stock, you can't replace the nipple that is removed but you can leave a short section of the vacuum hose connected and plug it.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 AM
moog5050
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the factory location. It is a PIA to tap the vacuum there, but its a clean install. My wife assisted me since my fat hands couldn't get in there, but if you do some searching, others have found easier ways of tapping that port.

BTW - I did remove my exhaust and just cut and plugged the line without issue. I now have to reinstall it and am happy that it will be a much easier job now.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Default Front top right side

Originally Posted by nch209
I am new at this... So forgive me if this is dumb. What/where is the valley port? I assume this is a ez tap location, and not the factory nipple in the rear of the intake?

Thanks
It's on the top front right of the motor (pass. side), it vents the motor w/ about a 4" U shaped hose into the intake directly above. Send me a PM w/ ur email & I'll shoot a pic closeup & the entire plumbing job in the engine compartment. It's as simple as u can get, & to the untrained eye u wouldn't notice it or mistake for stock plumbing. With covers on u can't even see it. Check this out, it maps it out perfectly:

www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829128

Last edited by Mike V.; 10-30-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Divvi
Burning Brakes

I did it from the front of the intake with the EZ tap. I've had no issues so far. Its a snug fit, even more so than with the stock sensor, so I don't see a problem with it leaking.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Villareale
It's on the top front right of the motor (pass. side), it vents the motor w/ about a 4" U shaped hose into the intake directly above. Send me a PM w/ ur email & I'll shoot a pic closeup & the entire plumbing job in the engine compartment. It's as simple as u can get, & to the untrained eye u wouldn't notice it or mistake for stock plumbing. With covers on u can't even see it. Check this out, it maps it out perfectly:

www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829128
Many Thanks! I actually did my install today at the rear location, with only minor blood loss. In the end, I still see it as nearly a wash in the long run - after cuts heal- but I think the front EZ location is fine too. I just wanted to be close to factory specs...

More later- Im beat. I RUSHED my install, and am BEAT!
Old 09-20-2015, 04:11 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I've managed to twist off the "T" cover but despite reading just about EVERY comment on this topic, I cannot for the LIFE of me connect the TUBING to the rear of the manifold. Any tips or tricks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I know if I turned my car on I'd have a "vacuum leak" ... but what does that mean? Is my car undrive-able until I get this hose connected?
Old 06-11-2018, 05:33 PM
gerrod
8th Gear

So how do I start a new thread? I am trying to install npp control where do I use ez tap at would like pics if possible or detailed instructions. Can't get any info from website
Old 06-11-2018, 06:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by gerrod
So how do I start a new thread? I am trying to install npp control where do I use ez tap at would like pics if possible or detailed instructions. Can't get any info from website
Go back to C6 Tech front page with all threads listed. On top left, is a black box saying "new thread." Click on it. Before you do, do an advanced search from the search box in top red line, go to advanced search, put in key words on left such as NPP install, or whatever gets threads to show up. limit it to C6 Gen and C6 Tech. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:58 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrod
Just type "NPP In a box install" in a Google search. You should find several Youtube videos.

Last edited by BadAV; 06-11-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:51 PM
gerrod
8th Gear

All I really need is for someone to tell me the best vacuum line to tap into or are they all equal. I have everything else hooked up and can find very little about it. My controller didn't come with these instructions. Since this thread was so old I thought there may some different opinions

Last edited by gerrod; 06-11-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 AM
BadAV
Race Director

The videos will show you the exact location of the MAP sensor, if you are using the EZ-tap. Mine has been installed over a year now with no issues.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 AM
gerrod
8th Gear

What video? The only one on you tube is for fusion exaust and it's showing to hook up to back of intake at factory location

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Install- Factory Vaccume or EZ-Tap Location????

Old 06-12-2018, 12:29 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Here's a link to a page that has the installation pictures. The first page shows pictures of the EZ tap installation.

https://www.southerncarparts.com/corvette-exhaust-p-2724.html

Maybe this is a little over your expertise level?

Last edited by BadAV; 06-12-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:57 PM
gerrod
8th Gear

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. All done sounds good.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 PM
addictedtotrack
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

factory location is best but helped a buddy do his no need for blood....just take the intake manifold loose slide it forward install vacuum line slide it back and bolt it down. was really easy

Quick Reply: NPP Install- Factory Vaccume or EZ-Tap Location????