C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 2010 Grand Sport Manual Diff the same as a z06 diff?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:41 AM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy48
I'm under the impression that everyone on here knows everything whether they do or not so instead of relying on the info on here I am going to the dealer and checking myself. Getting really sick of everyones own opinion. Looking for facts!
About an hour east of you in Gas City at Mike Anderson Chevrolet you can call Jay in parts, thats who I called and "check for yourself"
Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 AM
flyboy48
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
About an hour east of you in Gas City at Mike Anderson Chevrolet you can call Jay in parts, thats who I called and "check for yourself"
Thanks for the info Rodney. I worked GM parts for 9 years several years ago. I am retired now but occasionally work in the parts room at the local dealership to cover vacations, etc, dealer trades and such so I have access to the info anytime. Thanks again though for the info.

Tom
Old 11-06-2010, 11:16 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm under the impression that everyone on here knows everything whether they do or not so instead of relying on the info on here I am going to the dealer and checking myself. Getting really sick of everyones own opinion. Looking for facts!
Facts? Oh crap man, why didn't you say so. Opinions are free here, but Facts require access to your Pay Pal account to be charged accordingly.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
flyboy48
Instructor

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Facts? Oh crap man, why didn't you say so. Opinions are free here, but Facts require access to your Pay Pal account to be charged accordingly.
I will PM it to you. lol Just don't know who knows or thinks they know.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:23 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I will PM it to you. lol Just don't know who knows or thinks they know.
The GS hasn't been around long enough and produced in large enough numbers and even modified by a bunch of people yet to have a really good knowledge base of every nut and bolt.

Rodney at RPM is someone that appears to have first hand knowledge, and it's his specialty (trannys/diffs), so you can take his word. Hell, it's new to me too.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Bad News
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to dig up an old thread but did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? Seems like Grand Sport has the same case as the Z06 but what about the internals?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

well put flyboy you are 100 percent right.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Bad News
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I would take Rodney's word for it as RPM probably has more experience with diff's then anyone else but if you go back and read his post it says that the Grand Sport and the Z06 have the exact same case but did not comment on the internals. I also did a check on the part numbers and I didn't come up with the same thing. What makes the Z06 diff more expensive and desirable for high hp builds is its larger ring and pinion that also is shot peened from the factory. If you look at the price for an oem replacement ring and pinion for the Z06 and Grand Sport you will find that the Z06 ring and pinion is more expensive leading me to think that the Grand Sport does not have upgraded ring and pinion set. I am not saying anyone else is wrong here. Just looking at the numbers. This is an old thread so maybe Rodney will jump back in with his current experience.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
Grand Sport's with a manual transmission uses the same differential case as the Z06. I personally have a 2011 GS that I bought new and pulled the entire drivetrain out of to install a built set-up (long story) I was under the impression that they were the exact same as a Z06 diff. When I pulled the drivetrain I noticed the tag read Z51 3.42 instead of Z 3.42 like all of the many Z06 diffs I have. I called the dealer to check and he told me a 2011 Z06 and 2011 GS (stick only) car has the same part # differential replacement. I do know that GS's with the A6 transmission does have the smaller differential as all base cars do.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/sponso...smissions.html
Thanks for taking the time to post. I recall you answering this question for me long ago.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Bad News
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Thanks for taking the time to post. I recall you answering this question for me long ago.
Ok so is everyone else reading something that I am not? As I go back and read Rodney's post once again it say that the "Case" is the same and in his research the "2011" Grand Sport and Z06 have the same replacement part numbers. Now I know there are a lot of intelligent people on this forum the have contributed a lot of good technical knowledge (Yes you Spin are included as you have helped me a lot in a past matter) but everyone knows that 2011 was not the first year for the Grand Sport and GM does have a habit of changing things from year to year on the same car. I am specifically asking about the 2010 Grand Sport diff compared to any other year Z06.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 AM
smonska
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you tell a Z06 diff from a C6 diff externally?

I have a 2010 Manual Trans GS Coupe, if someone experienced could clue me in to the visual differences, I'd be happy to put it up on the lift and find out if it is a standard C6 diff case or Z06.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by smonska
How do you tell a Z06 diff from a C6 diff externally?
I'm not sure how to interpret this, but the 'drain' plug (where the bottom cooling line attaches to) on the GS is 3/8". There's also a 1/2" one, but I don't know if it goes on the Z06 and ZR1, or just the latter. I know the Z06 has a 'beefier' rear end, but am also curious if just internally, or externally as well. I know only the ZR1 has beefier half-shafts, meaning it's possible the case on GS and Z06 is the same. Hope somebody knowledgeable answers your question .
Old 03-03-2019, 11:00 AM
FRANKIEC6
2nd Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

I jusr want to replace the ring and pinion in my 2010 GS trying to figure out the right one to buy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the 2010 Grand Sport Manual Diff the same as a z06 diff?