C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Tire Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
bocallaghan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Tire Monitoring System

I put new tires on my aftermarket rims and Discount Tire couldn't recalibrate my tire sensors. For some reason they could only get one to work. I was told that I had to get them recalibrated with a machine from GM. I took my vette to the dealer and they too couldn't get them to reprogram with the existing sensors. I was informed to replace all four sensors. Thing was all of them were operable before I purchased the new rear tires. How would the front sensors now fail? The tech even tried to put a magnet on the tire sensor with the programming machine to no avail. Does anyone know what may have happened or what I would need to do to get my tire pressure to register?

Last edited by bocallaghan; 11-04-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-04-2010, 11:43 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Any tire pressure sensor/TPMS tool will work to trigger the sensors - the official GM tool is not required.

Actually, ABSOLUTELY NO REPROGRAMMING IS REQUIRED when using your old sensors!!!

If your sensors are already programmed into your TPMS, nothing needs to be done when installing new tires.

However, if the sensors get mixed up and put back on a different corner of the car than they were originally on, they'll still work but the DIC display won't correspond to the correct location.

Many aftermarket wheels require the tire pressure sensors to be mounted differently than they are in an OE wheel. If they are mounted with bands/straps deep inside of the wheel, it's hard to get the transmission from the tool to trigger the sensor - you need to get the antenna of the tool within a couple inches of the sensor.

So.....the tire shop should have made sure they put the wheels/sensors back on the same corner of the car they were originally on and not tried to reprogram your sensors at all. Unfortunately, if the got one to reprogram, it wiped out all the other sensors from the TPMS memory.

If your sensors are mounted deep inside the wheels, you have to know EXACTLY where they are so you can get the antenna of the tool as close as possible to the sensor. Normally the antenna goes on the sidewall right next to the valve stem to transmit the shortest distance, however if the sensors are strapped/banded deep inside the drop center of the wheel, you may have better luck shooting the signal through the tread.

If all else fails, if your sensors are mounted deep inside the wheels, you may have to take the wheels off and break the bead to get the tool in close enough to the sensor to trigger it, then mount the wheels back on the car after you do the sensor relearn procedure.

If your sensors are mounted in your aftermarket wheels in the standard OE manner (valve stem sticking out of the hole in the wheel) then your tire shop just doesn't know how to put the car into the learn mode and can't use their tool properly.

It's very likely they don't know what they're doing or they would have made sure the sensors went back on the original corner of the car and nothing at all would need to have been done.

BTW, a magnet was used on the C5 sensors, but it won't do anything to trigger C6 sensors (except a very few very early 2005 C6s).

Good luck!!

Bob
Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like your getting BUM DOPE. Find a dealer or shop that has the correct tool and program the sensor. if they cant, the sensors may have been damaged during mounting.

I agree. They shouldnt need to be reprogrammed if they were installed in the stock locations.

BC
Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 PM
bocallaghan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'm going to see if I can find a shop that can do this for me. Any suggestions?

Get notified of new replies

To Service Tire Monitoring System

Quick Reply: Service Tire Monitoring System