C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming / Vibration In Dash Area @ 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 PM
George Ware
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WickedQuik
This is exactly the same area the noise I am hearing is coming from. Interesting in that it comes and goes. Didnt notice if when it was worse if the wind blowing and direction had any impact. I am thinking if the wind speed is up, combined with a car going 80 mph in the right direction, might increase the amount of noise I am hearing.

Going to drive the car again this week to work on the highway and see if I get the same noise. If so, its going into GM for a look. If not, and I took it to GM, I am sure I'd get the standard "Dealer can not duplicated condition. No repair required."

Thanks for the ideas as I will check them out.
I have 100% the same issue!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 PM
WickedQuik
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George Ware
I have 100% the same issue!
George,

99% chance you have a crack in the cowl covering at he bottom of your windshield. Simple GM part and replacement. You cando it yoursel as I did.

Lift the hood and check below your wiper blades. Had a separation of mine. To confirm it I placed some duck tape over the crack at noise was gone.

Changed the cowl out and problem solved. Think the part cost $50 through GM Parts direct online.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 PM
mattdracing
Racer

yep i had the same problem...had the dealer replace the cowl. i dont know the TSB number but its something like "buzzing noise at highway speeds"
Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Vey common problem, buzzing of the windshield cowl.

The cowl doesn't have enough material at the corner of passenger side bend against the glass.

Plus it is a welded two piece and can tear at the seam. Even without the tear it can/will vibrate.

I replaced mine but some will use clear silicon under the cowl attaching to the glass. Can get a little messy just because of the limited contact area available.

At this time I know of no GM design change available.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine looks to be separated on both sides and I get the sound around 95-100 . Prob still there at 100+ but can't hear it over the other noises
Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I'm betting on the wiper cowl.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-you-guys.html
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM
1fastbob
Racer

Originally Posted by dwatt24
to be honest i am not too thrilled at the prospect of having to tape and glue my high performance sports car together, surely there must be a proper fix? i wouldnt go as far to say a recall but at least GM should recognize the issue and advise dealerships to fix the problem rather than b/s us and say they cant replicate it
Uhhh, it's a Corvette, what did you expect.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:41 PM
vettes and harleys
3rd Gear

Default same thing...

The exact same thing happens to me... why doesnt GM issue a fix? These are expensive cars and loyal customers....
Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 PM
vettes and harleys
3rd Gear

The exact same thing happens to me at the same speeds, sometimes putting it on recirculate helps a little... why doesnt GM fix this????
Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 PM
vettes and harleys
3rd Gear

Default Humming in the dash

On another forum they indicated replacing the wiper cowl as the pla tic weld separates, I haven't tried this but a bead of clear caulk seems a reasonable fix.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vettes and harleys
The exact same thing happens to me... why doesnt GM issue a fix? These are expensive cars and loyal customers....
Dunno but this is one problem I always thought the GM Customer Rep on this Forum could run with. It is a very often heard of problem. I have replaced mine 3 times in 30,000 miles.

Always had all five clips too.

If you mess with it while on the car it is easy to tear the weld (between the two different material) and things will be worse regarding the buzzing.

This last time I replaced it myself and added caulk at the 5 clips that attach to the bottom of the glass.

So far so good but my hearing is pretty bad now so who knows for sure. No one else has complained but I am usually alone when driving the vette.

Maybe this is GM thinking.....most of their owners are old farts.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:28 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

two sided tape under the cowl in the offending area solves the problem

If nothing else, silicone bead under it with masking tape over it to hold it down until the caulking dries.

PITA but an easy fix

Yes, GM should fix it. I'm sure they addressed it on the c7
Old 02-11-2017, 08:15 PM
2009 ZR1
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A Bummer of a Hummer in the C6

Yes... the C6 windshield cowl on the passenger side from the end to almost the middle either has or develops a looseness or a gap in some areas and does not fit or adhere as closely to the windshield as on the driver side. It's a design or material flaw courtesy of designers and manufacturers.
So, gently using the edge of you fingers carefully lift the edge of the rubber on the cowl where it meets the windshield and with a wet paper towel clean any dirt, dust or debris out of the area behind the rubber and on the windshield. You just need to lift the edge ever so slightly as you work your way across from about the middle of the windshield to the passenger corner. Now go back with a dry paper towel to remove any moisture or remaining residue. Go to an auto parts store and buy a small tube (maybe $6-7) of clear silicone sealant and cut the screw on filler tip off at about the 2nd or 3rd notch to create a bead of 1/16 to 1/8 inch (small bead... but not micro bead). Starting at the middle of the windshield if possible, then gently lift the edge of the rubber on the windshield cowl and letting your fingers to lead the way of keeping the gap open, begin to fill the gap behind the rubber (and onto the windshield) with your bead of silicone sealant all the way to the corner. After you gently press or allow the rubber molding to settle or conform back to the windshield you may notice some silicone sealant oozing out above the rubber where it meets the windshield. Gently wipe the majority away with a dry paper towel and clean up the balance of any silicone ooze (on the windshield or on the rubber of the cowl) with a paper towel on which you have placed some standard rubber alcohol. Just keep using the paper towel with the alcohol to keep cleaning up the area by gently wiping ithe silicone residue away.

Let it "set up" for a while or overnight. You can even add a slight weight to the passenger corner of the rubber cowl (a brick) to help it maintain contact and get a good seal.

Good luck!

Last edited by 2009 ZR1; 02-11-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 PM
Oakny607
Heel & Toe

Default Dash vibration

Originally Posted by got2hav1
I have read another post sometime back on this. There is a plastic cover at the bottom of the windshield (outside) that may be vibrating at highway speeds. Try taping it tightly to the windshield and bring it up to highway speed and see if that stops it. Hope this helps.
I think your onto it. I went thru a car wash today and when the dryer was blowing down at the wiper area I heard the sound for a second while it passed over it. It's been driving me nuts trying to find it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Humming / Vibration In Dash Area @ 80 mph