C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming / Vibration In Dash Area @ 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:05 PM
WickedQuik
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Humming / Vibration In Dash Area @ 80 mph

Looking for a little info from the group if possible. Took my 08 CRM Coupe on a trip to Florida for vacation. Coming home yesterday I noticed that at around 80 mph (in Florida heading North on 75 if you dont run 78 - 80 mph you get run over) with the cruise set I heard a low humming from what appears to be the center of the dash. If I accelerated to 85 the humming got louder.

Hard to describe the humming as it was not loud, just annoying. It sounded like the hum you would get from "feedback" or "reverbaration" from an old single speaker radio system that was about to go bad or had the wires connected incorrectly.

First I have ever heard this in the 4 months since I bought the car. Still under warranty with 12 K miles on the clock with an in service date of April 2008. First I have had it on an extended trip with the cruise set at 80 mph. If I slow down the noise goes away.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Sometimes mine makes a bit of noise from the center area of the dash, it sounds like it's coming from underneath/behind the radio area. Not sure what it could be though.

Mine only happens when the revs are low, maybe with my exhaust I just can't hear it at 80
Old 11-06-2010, 03:39 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I occasionally get a noise that sounds like a thin piece of plastic is fluttering inside the dash. It comes and goes.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:24 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Default vibrating noise

I have read another post sometime back on this. There is a plastic cover at the bottom of the windshield (outside) that may be vibrating at highway speeds. Try taping it tightly to the windshield and bring it up to highway speed and see if that stops it. Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:55 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by got2hav1
I have read another post sometime back on this. There is a plastic cover at the bottom of the windshield (outside) that may be vibrating at highway speeds. Try taping it tightly to the windshield and bring it up to highway speed and see if that stops it. Hope this helps.
Interesting. I just checked and that side of the windshield where the plastic cover is a little slack. Very minor, but it could be enough to cause that flutter sound I hear every once in awhile. I will try the tape, and if it works I'll put a tab of glue there. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Interesting. I just checked and that side of the windshield where the plastic cover is a little slack. Very minor, but it could be enough to cause that flutter sound I hear every once in awhile. I will try the tape, and if it works I'll put a tab of glue there. Thanks.
You are welcome. Not my idea though just passing it on!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:01 PM
WickedQuik
Drifting

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
Sometimes mine makes a bit of noise from the center area of the dash, it sounds like it's coming from underneath/behind the radio area. Not sure what it could be though.

Mine only happens when the revs are low, maybe with my exhaust I just can't hear it at 80
This is exactly the same area the noise I am hearing is coming from. Interesting in that it comes and goes. Didnt notice if when it was worse if the wind blowing and direction had any impact. I am thinking if the wind speed is up, combined with a car going 80 mph in the right direction, might increase the amount of noise I am hearing.

Going to drive the car again this week to work on the highway and see if I get the same noise. If so, its going into GM for a look. If not, and I took it to GM, I am sure I'd get the standard "Dealer can not duplicated condition. No repair required."

Thanks for the ideas as I will check them out.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:28 PM
da vette guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by got2hav1
mine does it too, i was thinking the outer 'a' pillar trim on the passenger side as mine has a little gap...also when its doing it if you use the windsheild washers or popping the hood release at speed it changes the sound or at least mine does.. mine is a 2008 built in may 2008
Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
huls2399
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

It is most likely the cowling at the bottom of the windshield. I had the same problem and my 07. I took it in the to deal to have them reseal it since it was under warranty.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Default vibration at bottom of windshield

Originally Posted by huls2399
It is most likely the cowling at the bottom of the windshield. I had the same problem and my 07. I took it in the to deal to have them reseal it since it was under warranty.
I have an 08 and I am experiencing the same issue. I applied painters tape along the bottom of the windshield and the plastic cowl to seal any gap. I took it for a drive and no more vibration noise. Did GM put a bead of caulk or did they replace the entire plastic cowl. Thanks for any responses.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I have an 08 and I am experiencing the same issue. I applied painters tape along the bottom of the windshield and the plastic cowl to seal any gap. I took it for a drive and no more vibration noise. Did GM put a bead of caulk or did they replace the entire plastic cowl. Thanks for any responses.
I put a carefully placed bead of clear silicone under the passenger side cowl to hold it down. Amazingly, it worked and no more noise.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I put a carefully placed bead of clear silicone under the passenger side cowl to hold it down. Amazingly, it worked and no more noise.
Thanks, I will try it.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM
dwatt24
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks folks, got the same issue with mine, of course the dealership cant replicate it but as long as it's nothing serious it's ok, i will try some tape first, if not metallica is a good solution
The following users liked this post:
IProbBrokeSomething (12-06-2023)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 AM
kyle0k
Burning Brakes

Hmmm now I gotta listen to see If I have this noise haha
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

I have this same humming noise on my 07 Coupe. Seems to come and go depending on the speed and who knows what else. Wish there was some other fix besides tape or silicone bead on the cowl and winshield. Don't really want to trust the dealership with this one.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
dwatt24
4th Gear

Default humming noise

to be honest i am not too thrilled at the prospect of having to tape and glue my high performance sports car together, surely there must be a proper fix? i wouldnt go as far to say a recall but at least GM should recognize the issue and advise dealerships to fix the problem rather than b/s us and say they cant replicate it
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 PM
c6coop
Pro

Originally Posted by dwatt24
to be honest i am not too thrilled at the prospect of having to tape and glue my high performance sports car together, surely there must be a proper fix? i wouldnt go as far to say a recall but at least GM should recognize the issue and advise dealerships to fix the problem rather than b/s us and say they cant replicate it
I have been working on cars for what seems my whole life. Used to be the fix was a wad of gum and bailing wire, now it's sealicone! I'm just glad we have the CF members who have shared their experience. Sealicone works for me!
coop

Get notified of new replies

To Humming / Vibration In Dash Area @ 80 mph

Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM
dwatt24
4th Gear

Default good point

dont mean to be a complainer, and the fact of the matter is that there isnt any better value for money out there than a corvette, in my humble opinion
Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 PM
c6coop
Pro

Originally Posted by dwatt24
dont mean to be a complainer, and the fact of the matter is that there isnt any better value for money out there than a corvette, in my humble opinion
Sorry. Didn't mean to rip on you. You have a right to complain! Just that sometimes a simple remedy that works is better than the mind numbing dances we do with the dealer folks. I love this car!
coop
Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 PM
DIAMOND DAVE
Instructor

Default vibration noise.

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic

Some of you may be getting the noise from the gear shift release-lock.....If you hear the sound, just put slight finger pressure on the release. The last six vettes have had the same thing and like to drove me ape-**** finding the rattle. Just about dismantled the 02 and found it by accident. Can't believe I am the only one with this rattle..Goodluck

Quick Reply: Humming / Vibration In Dash Area @ 80 mph