C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 T56 issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 06:44 PM
Sweebation
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 T56 issues

Hello, I was driving and came up to a red light and as I was slowing down my car locked up and skidded to a stop, I turned it back on and could not get it to move in first so I pulled into a parking lot in second, when I pulled in and tried shifting through all the gears they all mostly worked but randomly I would get weird results like it getting stuck in reverse or the car moving forward in neutral (as in under load it acted like first gear) however after some time it went back to normal and the only issue now is it will not shift into second gear and grinds when I try to do so and it whines extremely loudly like a supercharger. I am wondering what kind of problem this could be because I have not seen anyone’s symptoms match mine online, I’ve heard anything from a missaligned steering linkage (which is possible because I’ve always had trouble shifting into first randomly) up to a new trans and diff. Opinions?
Old 04-14-2024, 11:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Start with making sure shifter is indexed correctly, and on T45 rear coupling bolt, torqued to 45ft lbs, and use blue loctite. Hence old owner may had had after market shift in car, pulled it when they sold the car, and did not get the rear coupliing bolt tighened correctly with blue loctie and causing problem now.

Next, check the clutch fluid, and if not clear, do the ranger method of clutch fluid change.

Short of that, may have a slave TB support race that some melted from abuse that is causing problems or problem in the trans, but to correct either, drive line would need to be dropped. As for master clinder, between old style and updated style, if old style slave lost its end plunger, your not getting the master to work again.
The following users liked this post:
rc51racer (04-18-2024)

Quick Reply: 2005 T56 issues