C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peak Speed Shop: the new guy on the block

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:05 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Peak Speed Shop: the new guy on the block

Note: Peak speed Shop is a forum supporting vendor.
I wanted to take the opportunity to comment on these ported intakes which I have seen in person. I have worked with Bob on projects and can assure you his patience, honesty, and professionalism are rivaled only by his incredible die grinder control with porting. His work is excellent by any standard. The one constant in business is that you have to be able to turn a profit. the work put into these intake manifolds would take most people 4 hours+ to match this level of work. I am amazed that he puts this amount of time into each one.

The LS2 intake is a mess in the runners. Most porters remove the needed amount to produce a good result and still make money. the runners in this case are 100% cleaned and there was nothing I could critisize on the finished product. I have seen manifolds that I wouldnt even run on my car be made to be perfect after he is done. I couldnt see many examples like this letting you make a profit but Peak Performance obviously puts the customer ahead of the profits.

Just so it doesnt look like Im just plugging a shop, here are pics i took the day I was a wtiness to these awesome manifolds. My pricing for this work would be higer by 30-35% from what he is charging. You get that benefit.

It unusual for a porter to show the work in this detail online for fear of copy-cats. Bob felt showing the pics of the level of work was justified because the work is what is being sold and would be hard if not unprofitable for anyone to copy.

Here the unfinished runner shows absolutely no uneven surfaces. This is before the smoothing/high speed buffing and is only to show how smooth transitions are. Areas with low spots are filled with an epoxy filler that is resistant to fuel and oil contaminations. most dont need this but he does it for sample fault manifolds that I would have rejected from porting. His fix is time consuming and solid.

In this pic, the caliper verifies that the width of the runner is not over ported and Bob is well aware with his extensive automotive experience that the science behind porting is about smoothing transitions and not showing bags of material removed to justify the price. Removing the minimum amount of material with the smoothes transitions gets the most power with highest velocity. This is far from a hogged out runner and it fits the head perfectly.

I didnt want to offer a ported Stage 2 that removes the internal posts but again here, Bob has accomplished the impossible. He showed me a custom tool that does this. Why didnt I think of that? The plenum is flawless and the epoxy holes can take quite a beating and not break. this rivals the best work I have seen.

Paying more for such a piece is silly and will not make anymore power. He uses my configurations on porting and built on some great formats.

I highly endorse this shop.

His thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...y-porting.html

Bob has current restoration projects underway and is a really good problem solver in the car world. He can do just about any level of work from fabrication to porting. You will find his help on these forums a big asset. Unlike some porters who dont give you the time of day, he is the type to share info and be accessible. Kick a tire, ask some questions, and come to the conclusion I did; he has a great product.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 11-24-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:41 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

looks like a great port job,,, and matching of the intake to the heads is really smart and makes alot of sense. I did my own and cut out the posts (saw a post of your spin and kinda copied your work) but the idea of getting the heads and intake matched (kinda blueprinted really) is the best to go at it and get the best flow. I tried to match mine (measured the height and width of the heads) but the reality is i didnt do a perfect job. Nice info spin as always, regards, paul
Old 11-24-2010, 03:57 PM
0peakspeedshop
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks, SpinMonster!

Thank's, SpinMonster, for the great endorsement. Your experience is absolutely right. Careful smoothing of transitions and matching the width of the runners to the head generates more horsepower than simply trying to hog out the manifold by removing a lot of material. I look forward to helping the forum members get the most bang for their buck when porting their intake manifolds and throttle bodies. I hope many will take advantage of our sale that goes through 12/31/10.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:32 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Old 11-26-2010, 05:06 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Anyone with questions or comments, please PM me.

Get notified of new replies

To Peak Speed Shop: the new guy on the block

Quick Reply: Peak Speed Shop: the new guy on the block