C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust system - Experts chime in

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:15 AM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Exhaust system - Experts chime in

Can anyone compare the performance gains from:

Stock LS3 vs Stock Z06 vs aftermarket long tube/short tube headers

Stock LS3 engine with Corsa Sport exhaust

Look forward to the comments!
Old 11-27-2010, 02:48 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Keep in mind that no long tube headers are CARB approved and could cause a failure in your next smog visual test.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:59 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Mufflers or full exhaust system?

From what I have seen on a stock powered C6 or C6Z06 a muffler change is worth more for weight loss than it is HP. Most of them will pick up 4-8 HP but drop anywhere from 14 to 30 lbs of weight off of the car depending on application and mufflers used.

Installing the full Z06 system, manifolds and all on a LS2 or LS3 powered car is worth 12-16 HP and weight generally remains about the same or you pick up 2-4 lbs of weight because of the larger pipes.

Installing a full long tube header on the car (with or without cats) you will see 25-32 HP, the biggest increase will be the 30-40 ft-lbs of torque gain. You should also drop 20-28 lbs of weight from the car as well by doing this. (this is figured with OEM mufflers)

All of my HP figures are based at the rear wheel on a dyno jet from results I have seen here.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 AM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Keep in mind that no long tube headers are CARB approved and could cause a failure in your next smog visual test.
Thank you... As I am aware of that. I am on temporarily out here and will be returning to Texas in late January where there are less restrictions.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:50 PM
F40
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-28-2010, 04:47 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Installing a full long tube header on the car (with or without cats) you will see 25-32 HP, the biggest increase will be the 30-40 ft-lbs of torque gain.
Is this true if the car is not "re-tuned" after the header install? I'm asking because I'll be installing your headers myself. Thanks.

Tom
Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 PM
BBExhaust
Supporting Manufacturer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't say what kind of other manufactures are seeing however we have seen increases in the mid 40's of both HP and Torque with the long tube headers, x-pipe with high flow cats and our Bullet exhaust system on both the LS3 and Z06. As for axle back systems we have systems that range from 8-17hp. For more information you can visit our website, www.bbexhaust.com or email me at mark@bbexhaust.com.

Mark Fowler
Billy Boat Performance Exhaust
888-228-7435 Ext.18
mark@bbexhaust.com
Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by TCW
Is this true if the car is not "re-tuned" after the header install? I'm asking because I'll be installing your headers myself. Thanks.

Tom
A true long tube header should be re-tuned after install because it does change the air flow through the engine enough to warrant a fuel change.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mark@BBExhaust
I can't say what kind of other manufactures are seeing however we have seen increases in the mid 40's of both HP and Torque with the long tube headers, x-pipe with high flow cats and our Bullet exhaust system on both the LS3 and Z06. As for axle back systems we have systems that range from 8-17hp. For more information you can visit our website, www.bbexhaust.com or email me at mark@bbexhaust.com.

Mark Fowler
888-228-7435 Ext.18
mark@bbexhaust.com
Does this setup pass emissions test? I know they might fail it on looks but other than that does it pass?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:24 AM
BBExhaust
Supporting Manufacturer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S'vette
Does this setup pass emissions test? I know they might fail it on looks but other than that does it pass?
Yes, The cats we use are a 200 cell metal catalyst and aside from the visual inspection we have not seen any issues passing emissions. There always exceptions and if you have altered the tune so it is running excessively rich or something out of the norm you could run into issue the same as you would with the factory cats.

Mark Fowler
888-228-7435 Ext.18
mark@bbexhaust.com
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mark@BBExhaust
Yes, The cats we use are a 200 cell metal catalyst and aside from the visual inspection we have not seen any issues passing emissions. There always exceptions and if you have altered the tune so it is running excessively rich or something out of the norm you could run into issue the same as you would with the factory cats.

Mark Fowler
888-228-7435 Ext.18
mark@bbexhaust.com
Would you happen to have a vid of your headers, x-pipe w/HFCs and the PRT exhuast? Also do you have resonators that can be added?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 PM
oklahoma
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Default performance change after stock zo6 exhaust added to c6 ac

I added a full stock z 06 exhaust including mufflers to my stock 2008 c6a6 with2.56 gear and then a sunset controller for the exhaust. Looking at over 40 time slips before and 40 after and with no change in tune the zo6 exhaust reduces et's by .11 seconds and adds 1.5 mph with mufflers closed. Open mufflers nets a total et improvment of .2 and adds 2mph to the top end. The exhaust install includes a poorly welded over the axle section of the oem base exhaust that was rewelded to the zo6 mufflers. I do not have any afr data but I suspect that the change leaned out my afr some and that it may have contributed to the change in performance. I have used the car for bracket racing and do not strive for max performance but rather consistency so the actual time slips are quite varied depending on the venue(bracket vs index racing and various track elevations) I posted my best stock time on the forum 12.26@115.x. One other thing if you can stand the extra resonace and cruise with the mufflers open at 80mph you will gain 1.5 mpg
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oklahoma
I added a full stock z 06 exhaust including mufflers to my stock 2008 c6a6 with2.56 gear and then a sunset controller for the exhaust. Looking at over 40 time slips before and 40 after and with no change in tune the zo6 exhaust reduces et's by .11 seconds and adds 1.5 mph with mufflers closed. Open mufflers nets a total et improvment of .2 and adds 2mph to the top end. The exhaust install includes a poorly welded over the axle section of the oem base exhaust that was rewelded to the zo6 mufflers. I do not have any afr data but I suspect that the change leaned out my afr some and that it may have contributed to the change in performance. I have used the car for bracket racing and do not strive for max performance but rather consistency so the actual time slips are quite varied depending on the venue(bracket vs index racing and various track elevations) I posted my best stock time on the forum 12.26@115.x. One other thing if you can stand the extra resonace and cruise with the mufflers open at 80mph you will gain 1.5 mpg

I think you are right about that, freeing the intake and exhaust will lean a car out and gain some power that way. Just have to make sure it doesnt get too lean and thats where a good tune will come in and put all in its sweet spot. In my last car when I first got it the tail pipes would get black from running on the rich side and when I did all my intake and exhaust mods they wouldnt get black cuz it leaned out but had more power. But I quickly addeda tune and got even more power as they adjusted AFR and timing a bit.
I

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust system - Experts chime in

Quick Reply: Exhaust system - Experts chime in