C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LS3 dyno numbers, Thanks Spin

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Default My LS3 dyno numbers, Thanks Spin

The attachment is the final dyno numbers on my 08 C6. The scan is of the dyno run in spreadsheet form. I find this format more useful than the standard graph printouts I normally see here. The blueprint for this build was Spins writeup last year using his 230/234 cam with milled heads and a ported intake manifold. The peak HP was 499 at 6377 RPM and the TQ peak was 455 at 5177 RPM. The TQ crossed above 400 ft/lbs at 3500 RPM and stayed above 400 all the way to 6477 RPM's where the session ended. I never would have thought a cam with this little overlap would perform this well. The other supporting modifications were Kooks 1-3/4" headers with Kooks 2-1/2" catted X-pipe, a BPP vortex ram air intake, Fasterproms stage 2 ported intake manifold & TB, heads milled per Spin's post reccomendation, competition valve job & valve seats blended with heads, Valve reliefs cut into stock pistons per Spin's reccomendation, Katech timing chain, Comp 26925 spring kit, Comp 7955-16 push rods. The crank pulley is stock and the car had a stock thermostat when tuned. The dyno tune was conservative, we did not try to wring the last couple of Hp out of the tune. The dyno was a Mustang 1000 Hp load cell dyno at Automotion in Lou. KY.

My car was modified in stages over a 3 month period. The car made 395 HP stock as a baseline with a dyno tune. It made 402 Hp with the addition of the BPP Vortex intake & dyno tweaks. It made 435 HP when the Kooks headers & X pipe were installed and it was again dyno tuned. The cam, head work, intake manifold and TB modifications recommended by Spin accounted for the final dyno numbers.

Couldn't be more pleased with this combination. Very streetable cam and the car still gets 27 to 29 MPG driven reasonably on the road. Thanks for the writeup & help with this project Spin. I did have to go to 18 X 11 rear rims with Nitto 555R2 tires to get any traction with this build. Thanks also go to Spin for the writeup on widening the 18" front rims to 11" and the Nitto tire reccomendation.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jstewart; 01-04-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Very nice results and I'd expect nothing less from Spin's recommendations. He is the man!

San
Old 01-04-2011, 03:11 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I was happy to see another car with the TractionMonster mod out there instead of just spinning with the new power. Drive safe and enjoy it.

A question, did you omit the UD pulley for timing chain concerns? What chain did you use? The UD pulley usually nets 6 to 8rwhp and 6-8 rwtq. If it was a good chain, I wouldn't be afraid to use a good balancer like the ATI superdamper which comes in an under drive version. Its biggest gain is that it lowers the very harmonics suspected of causing chain breaks.

I know Phil Jimenez used it without issue on his 427. It does fit properly.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Fuego
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I wish my car was paid off. That Spin cam kicks ***.

Last edited by Fuego; 01-04-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hate to admit this Spin but the UD pulley was omitted because I was to inexperienced with modifying cars to know I needed it. The shop that did the work didn't say anything about it and I was to inexperienced to ask. Money wasn't an issue.

The timing chain replacement was a Katech/IWIS gen 3 & 4 timing chain purchased through Thunder Racing (part # 88-HME-G68V-2).
Is this timing chain suitable for use with the underdrive ATI superdamper??

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I was happy to see another car with the TractionMonster mod out there instead of just spinning with the new power. Drive safe and enjoy it.

A question, did you omit the UD pulley for timing chain concerns? What chain did you use? The UD pulley usually nets 6 to 8rwhp and 6-8 rwtq. If it was a good chain, I wouldn't be afraid to use a good balancer like the ATI superdamper which comes in an under drive version. Its biggest gain is that it lowers the very harmonics suspected of causing chain breaks.

I know Phil Jimenez used it without issue on his 427. It does fit properly.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Nice, Nice I love it when a plan comes together!
I think your Ls-3 would give an Ls-7 a few problems!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Nice, Nice I love it when a plan comes together!
I think your Ls-3 would give an Ls-7 a few problems!
Amen....there's something about a well planned set of mods with excellent results that's all good. Tastes even better when you compare it to a factory car and the results are far better with $ left over. Congrats!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Fuego
That Spin cam kicks ***.
Unless its installed in Texas.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Unless its installed in Texas.
Wow, generous dyno or those #s with a power adder?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
I dont know, as with all the other numbers posted out there for this cam it was an independent tuner that didnt have a cam in the race. It was in Kentucky though.

His car aslo lacked a FAST, UD pulley, 102 TB, 3" X-pipe, and it had cats so it had to be false results.

You know mustang dyno's. They always read high.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

.........and those crazy correction factors all these tuners use as Matt tells people.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
This build has been complete for almost a year. I avoided posting these numbers because I wanted to live with it for a season to see how it was to live with on the street before posting anything. The cam and other mods Spin reccomended worked out as advertised and I wanted to give credit where it was due. The HP & TQ gains would have endoubtedly been even better if I had installed a UD pulley and eliminated the cats. I did not set out to set any internet records with this build just build a fast reliable & streetable car.

Arguments over whether one dyno or another give false high or inaccurate readings are fairly common on the internet. Can I certify that these numbers are the same numbers a dynojet would produce. No I can't any more than I can certify that the many dyno runs on dynojet motorcycle dynos I have used are more accurate than the ones I have done on superflow dynos. When doing a project whether motorcycle or car I do use the same dyno and tuner for all stages of the build. All dyno runs on the Corvette were run in SAE corrected HP with the same smoothing factor. All runs were run on the same dyno with the same tuner. I am going to attach some of the other runs in graph form as well as the head flow sheet for this build. Look at the one dyno graph sheet that compares the baseline to the finished car. The baseline was with the CAI installed and tuned vs the finished car. The difference is what a set of Kooks headers, Spin's cam package and head and intake manufold mod reccomendations produced on the same dyno. The difference in the before & after readings using the same dyno and tuner are more important than the absolute numbers. Hope this helps.
Attached Images    

Last edited by jstewart; 01-05-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default head flow sheet

Here is the head flow sheet that didn't come through on the last post. The readings as stock were as Knieriem recieved them after de carboning the heads. The new readings were after The heads were milled per Spins recommendation, a valve job was done and the bump in the exhaust port was removed per Spin. The flow readings were at 28".
Attached Images  

Last edited by jstewart; 01-06-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 AM
fman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how far were heads milled what gasket are you running and were did your compression ratio end up at thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fman
how far were heads milled what gasket are you running and were did your compression ratio end up at thanks
The head gaskets are .040 Cometic. The heads were milled .022. Spin reccomended .030 for milling with the thinner .040 Cometic gaskets but I opted to be a little more conservative. New compression is 11.5/1

Last edited by jstewart; 01-11-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My LS3 dyno numbers, Thanks Spin

Quick Reply: My LS3 dyno numbers, Thanks Spin