C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Replace 09 Z06 Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 AM
CYBER Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How To Replace 09 Z06 Shocks?

Need advice to change out my shocks. Do I need a special tool to compress the OEM shocks to get them out?

Last edited by CYBER Z; 01-12-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Nope, they just unbolt and come right off.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 'VETTE PHASE
Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

there are a couple youtube videos for step by step DIY
Old 01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure this is totally accurate.

The rears will come out without incident, BUT the fronts most likely will need some compressing. Use the "large zip tie" method. I've had success with this method a handful of times without issue.

Simple and easy to do swap!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I've changed mine twice. The last time was two weeks ago when I installed Z06 shocks on mine. I didn't have to compress them or anything else out of the ordinary. I did have to finagle the front ones a little to get them to drop out. Maybe I just got lucky. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to mislead you.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I replaced my OEM 2009 Z06 shocks with Bilsteins a few months ago. The rears came right out. It did take some manuevering to get the fronts out. I compressed the Bilsteins on the ground prior to installing and tied twine around them. Then, they go right in.

It was helpful to have an air ratchet to install the front top retaining nuts. I had to remove the overflow container on the driver side to get at the shock bolt. I also took the time to clean the inside wheel barrels and the entire process was about 2 hours.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:58 PM
CYBER Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. I fanagled the fronts every way possible. I havent looked into the rear yet. I will try the zip tie approch on the front. I think I can compress the fronts by jacking up the lower A arm with the drag link disconected from the sway bar and then attach a tie wrap to hold them compressed.
Again Thanks!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've changed mine twice. The last time was two weeks ago when I installed Z06 shocks on mine. I didn't have to compress them or anything else out of the ordinary. I did have to finagle the front ones a little to get them to drop out. Maybe I just got lucky. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to mislead you.
I've heard some getting them out as you said above without issue. Guess the car wanted to make me work the times I did the swap.

Originally Posted by CYBER Z
I can compress the fronts by jacking up the lower A arm with the drag link disconected from the sway bar and then attach a tie wrap to hold them compressed.

Exactly what I did.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:36 AM
mjorgensen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CYBER Z
Thanks for the info. I fanagled the fronts every way possible. I havent looked into the rear yet. I will try the zip tie approch on the front. I think I can compress the fronts by jacking up the lower A arm with the drag link disconected from the sway bar and then attach a tie wrap to hold them compressed.
Again Thanks!!
Are you doing this on a lift or on the ground one side at a time? Will be very hard on the ground if so because of the swaybars influence.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have done it way to many times and I found the easiest way to do the front is to just take the 2 upper control arm bolts off from the frame and the lower control falls, you unbolt the shock and you don't have to mess with trying to compress the old or new shock. Trust me, this is really easy if you do it that way.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
0Talent MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easiest way to do this is to raise up the front of the vehicle and Secure on jack stands remove wheels.

You will need a 1/2 or 13mm Wrench,1/2 or 13mm socket with ratchet,Smaller Sized Vise Grip, 15 mm wrench, and 10 mm socket.

It has two bolts in the bottom of the lower control arm which holds the shock in place, you will use the 13mm wrench and 13mm socket with ratchet to remove the bottom bolts.

Next for the drivers side you must remove the coolant tank in order to access the top bolt for the shock "use 10mm socket"

Next hold the top of the shock with a vise grip and unloosen the 15mm nut with the open end of the wrench. "vise Grip works best" to hold the shock from spinning ........ Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:25 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here you go

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tallation.html
Old 01-15-2011, 05:42 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I have done it way to many times and I found the easiest way to do the front is to just take the 2 upper control arm bolts off from the frame and the lower control falls, you unbolt the shock and you don't have to mess with trying to compress the old or new shock. Trust me, this is really easy if you do it that way.
The easiest way for sure. Each bolt will have about 4 shims behind it, these have to go back in. I also bought the tool to grab the top shock bolt.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 PM
0Talent MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has a Easier way huh? Darn Gear Heads :P
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine today. I tried both, the zip tie and the A-arm bolt removal. The rears were easy. I zip tied them after compressing the shock on the car with a jack.

The fronts were a different story. The zip ties would either break on me or when they didn't, they still wouldn't give me enough room to pull out the shock, even though they were compressed.

So I did as timd38 and some others have done and supported the a-arm and removed the 4 top bolts.

Then I moved the A-arm away and had all the room in the world. I replaced the washers, just as they were, behind the bolts and I was done. The bolts on the drivers side had only 1 washer a piece.

The passenger side was really easy. An adjustable wrench held the top of the shock and a ratcheting box wrench from inside of the wheel well did the rest.

I didn't even bother with the tie wraps on this side and once I dropped the a-arm, I removed the shock easily, even uncompressed. These a-arm bolts had 2 washers on the front two bolts and only one on the other 2.

Don't bother with the zip ties in my opinion for the fronts.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Glad it worked out!

Get notified of new replies

To How To Replace 09 Z06 Shocks?

Quick Reply: How To Replace 09 Z06 Shocks?