C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing C6 Seat Belt Pretensioner

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
phylyp
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing C6 Seat Belt Pretensioner

Any help on how to remove the seat belt pretensioner from the seat frame is greatly appreciated. There is a tube nut which holds this in place and I am unable to undo this.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I take it you have the seats out of the car. If so, you should be able to just remove the nut to take off the old pre tensioner and install a new one. Here's a picture of them (a good one on the left, and one that's been activated on the right):

That picture doesn't show the nut/bolt, but as I recall it had a very thin head - and I guess that's the problem you're having. The flat/thin head doesn't give you much to get ahold of, but I don't recall having any real problem.

I can't remember, but I may have used an impact wrench on it. Once it's loose it just screws out so you can take off the old pre tensioner unit.

I put a different set of seats into my 2006 Z06 to get full power for the passenger seat, as well as the adjustable lumbar support and bolsters on both sides.

I got a pair of seats out of a C6 that had been in an accident, and both pre tensioners had fired. I replaced both of them with the ones off of my Z06 seats, so I took the good ones off my Z06 seats, and took the bad ones off the C6 seats, and I don't remember having any particular problems.

Good luck!!!

BTW phylyp, I looked at your profile to see where you were located and what year and model C6 you have, but nothing is there. Take a little time to fill out your profile so people can get some idea of what car you have so they can help you out better.

I see this is your FIRST POST!!! Welcome to the Corvette Forum!!!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-28-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added BTW
The following users liked this post:
bfiore5000 (07-14-2016)
Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
phylyp
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bob. You are correct. I have the seats out, but having difficulty pulling the flat/thin head of the tube nut. I will try the impact wrench as you suggested.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:53 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I am ordering a new right now. Mine is not activated. I am pretty sure the switch is bad. The seat belt light is on all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing C6 Seat Belt Pretensioner

Quick Reply: Replacing C6 Seat Belt Pretensioner