C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Run Flat Tires

Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 PM
simontonbill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Run Flat Tires

I just talked with the shop that normally does my wheel and tire stuff and he said the RFT's on the C6 are almost impossible to remove without ruining them.

Is this true? I bought some wheels from a CF member and want to swap the tires over from my stock wheels. Should I just look elsewhere to have this done?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

well, it is not a piece of cake, but if he can't do it you do know what you have to do, right? of course they can be removed safely, and without damaging either the tire or the rim~!

it is possible that A) he has had no good experience doing so, or B) doesn't work on wheels with runflats very often. whichever is the case, he's telling you in a roundabout way, go somewhere else or he will ruin the tires.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by simontonbill
I just talked with the shop that normally does my wheel and tire stuff and he said the RFT's on the C6 are almost impossible to remove without ruining them.

Is this true? I bought some wheels from a CF member and want to swap the tires over from my stock wheels. Should I just look elsewhere to have this done?

Sounds like he just didn't want your business. Tires is tires. They come off they go on. He's ducking the job.

Elmer
Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
simontonbill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he's scared of damaging the glossy black wheels. He said he usually just cuts the run flats off with a utility knife. I think I'm going with Discount Tires on this. I called them and they said "No biggie, bring it by".
Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

better yet, call a Corvette club or hot rod club in your area and ask who they use "for their precious wheels." no kidding.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I would find a new tire installer.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
sampaschal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not rocket science...Discount Tire does this every day...your dealer doesn't want your business.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Find a good shop who does alot of work on Hi-po cars and use a Hunter Road Force machine.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched my shop do the fronts and it looked to me like any other tire change. Maybe it's the equipment they use.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,167 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
Find a good shop who does alot of work on Hi-po cars and use a Hunter Road Force machine.
I found a listing of shops using the Hunter Road Force and then I called to a couple shops and told them the size of the rear (325/19 in my case). If they flinched or hesitated, I was on to the next place.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
well, it is not a piece of cake, but if he can't do it you do know what you have to do, right? of course they can be removed safely, and without damaging either the tire or the rim~!

it is possible that A) he has had no good experience doing so, or B) doesn't work on wheels with runflats very often. whichever is the case, he's telling you in a roundabout way, go somewhere else or he will ruin the tires.
There are many shops that don't have the training or capability to remove/install run flat tires. Most of them have old equipment or bought new equipment without the capability to change run flats since they didn't see a need for that type of equipment. Most places sell lots of off brand tires for grocery getters which don't have run flat tires.

Dealers will most likely have the right equipment and some Goodyear stores have trained tire jockeys and the correct equipment. There are two GY stores in my area. The closest one cannot do run flats and sends everybody to the other store which can. Outside of that there are no other tire stores that have the equipment. When I purchased Firestone run flats from Tire Rack to put on my 97 I had to take the car and tires to the GY store to get them installed.

Bill
Old 01-31-2011, 04:15 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
I found a listing of shops using the Hunter Road Force and then I called to a couple shops and told them the size of the rear (325/19 in my case). If they flinched or hesitated, I was on to the next place.

325/19 & 275/18's here also. Word of mouth is a great way to find a place also. Us Corvette guys are quite particular about our rides and if they dont get it right they hear it but if they do a great job, others hear about it.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Tire removal/installation

Originally Posted by NYC6
Find someone who's got the right stuff and the right attitude.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I think he's scared of damaging the glossy black wheels. He said he usually just cuts the run flats off with a utility knife. I think I'm going with Discount Tires on this. I called them and they said "No biggie, bring it by".
Is his name "Goober". Does he own a gas station at the edge of town? lol

Discount tire usually has state of the art equipment. I just watched them change my tires and they made it look easy.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Total BS.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:29 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My local Big O didn't have any problem with mine. The last set I resold. Didn't have one tear in the bead area. Later! Frank
Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

"No biggie, bring it by".
If he has to cut a tire off with a knife, then he either doesn't know what he is doing or he doesn't have the right equipment. I have my two rear tires that Costco took off and they show no signs of any rough treatment, and my chrome wheels are fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Run Flat Tires

Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Honch
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me two days ago at the third Goodyear I went to, I needed a slow leak (visible nail in the center of the tire tread) repaired. The first one said that runflats were not repairable, the second told me to try Firestone, and the third one did this with a brand new Coates rimgrip and then took no responsibility for it. The manager claimed it was road hazard damage (with no corresponding damage to the wheel), and obvious freshly exposed rubber. The technician did not notice it until after the tire was removed from the rim.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
I would find a new tire installer.
Cut them off. Thats a joke!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Is his name "Goober". Does he own a gas station at the edge of town? lol

Discount tire usually has state of the art equipment. I just watched them change my tires and they made it look easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Run Flat Tires