C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No key fobs detected

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM
B's Z06
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default No key fobs detected

I have a 2006 Z06. I haven't driven it in about a month, and usually I start it up from time to time to warm it up and keep everything flowing during the winter. Today I went out to start it and the dash said "no key fobs detected" so I went inside and grabbed my other key fob and the same thing came up. I tried the unlock button and the lock button as well as the trunk button and nothing works on both key fobs. The lights in the car do come on, so I'm thinking it can't be the battery. If the battery is low will the key fob not work? I also doubt both key fob batteries are dead... and suggestions?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by B's Z06
I have a 2006 Z06. I haven't driven it in about a month, and usually I start it up from time to time to warm it up and keep everything flowing during the winter. Today I went out to start it and the dash said "no key fobs detected" so I went inside and grabbed my other key fob and the same thing came up. I tried the unlock button and the lock button as well as the trunk button and nothing works on both key fobs. The lights in the car do come on, so I'm thinking it can't be the battery. If the battery is low will the key fob not work? I also doubt both key fob batteries are dead... and suggestions?
If there are no other electronic gizmos around to interfere with the fob signal, then it's probably your battery charge state.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Put a charger (not a tender) on your battery for a few hours and you'll be good to go.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 AM
B's Z06
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks guys, problem solved. Took out the battery and charged it, and then it started right up.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

My 2006 Keyfob battery went dead and I got the same message.

They are due for replacement but if you have a volt meter they should be 3 volts +/- alittle.

My battery was down to 2 volts no load.

Douglas in Green Bay
Message To the Steelers. You called down the Thunder and now you've got it! The Steelers are finished! The Packers are coming, you tell them I'm coming and Hell's coming with me! The Lombardi Trophy is coming home in 2 more days!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
TeddRiggs
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No key fobs detected

I have a 2010 Grand Sport and the other day I received a "No key fobs detected" I tried it again and the engine started right up. I am assuming the battery in the Key Fob is getting low as the main car battery is fine.

Question is, how do you change the battery ? I opened up the Key Fob and found the spare key, but no battery, I did not want to force anything and there is nothing in the manual about batteries in the Fob.

Also the car is a year old, how long are most C6 owners getting out of the battery ?
Thanks !
Tedd
Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 676 Posts

Tedd:

Did you have a cell phone or other electronic device that might have interfered with the FOB's radio signal? Some have found that the FOB and their cell phone can't be in the same pocket.

You should not be having FOB battery issues with a 2010. If you are, take it in under warranty.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Some have found that the FOB and their cell phone can't be in the same pocket.
Definitely. My car won't let me in if my iPhone and the fob are in the same pocket. Move the phone and all is good.

Z//
Old 02-13-2011, 03:25 AM
Farsighted770
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same issue. Charged battery and new batteries in fobs. Still can't start the car. 05 c6 a4 and it is essentially just a giant garage ornament.

HELP!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Farsighted770
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BUMP.... A LIL HELP PLEASE!!!

thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM
TeddRiggs
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Tedd:

Did you have a cell phone or other electronic device that might have interfered with the FOB's radio signal? Some have found that the FOB and their cell phone can't be in the same pocket.

You should not be having FOB battery issues with a 2010. If you are, take it in under warranty.

Ragtop,
Yes I do have a cellphone with Bluetooth always on, I changed pockets of the cell phone and like magic no more error messages ! Thanks alot for the hint
Tedd
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Qbasic8
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No Key Fob Detected

Hello everybody. Just wanted to share my experience today. I am an ASE cert tech. Today I had to work on a 2008 Chevy Corvette. Vehicle would not start. Would not unlock doors nor trunk. Trying to start vehicle displays "No key fob detected" message. I have the factory scan tool so I checked for diagnostic codes in the system - none.

The owner already had the key fobs sent to the dealer for inspection before I ever seen this vehicle. They returned them to customer saying they were ok.

No fob would work on this vehicle. I took the battery out of fob #1 and measured the battery voltage: 2.6v. The battery is a 3v battery. I replaced battery with a new one (measured 3.24v) and vehicle started and operated correctly. Checked battery on fob #2: .10v. Replaced battery and fob #2 works.

Check the basics first. Even though the dealership said they was ok - don't take anybody's word for it. Get out a DVOM and find out for yourself.

FYI: If you remove the key section from the fob (the key part operates the emergency trunk release) and do not reinstall it, the fob will not operate correctly. If you have an original fob and get the message displayed you can open the glove box (with fob buttons facing torwards passanger side) slide it into the small square and you will be able to start the car. This is a bypass so you are not stranded.

I couldn't believe 4 th's of a volt would make the fob not work. So my recommendation is to replace the battery in each fob once a year. You can buy the battery nearly anywhere (2032 battery). I even seen them at drug stores for < 2 dollars. Hope this helps somebody out there.

-Jason
The following 2 users liked this post by Qbasic8:
foxie (02-23-2017), NOrrTH (07-03-2016)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 AM
foxie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Qbasic8

I couldn't believe 4 th's of a volt would make the fob not work. So my recommendation is to replace the battery in each fob once a year. You can buy the battery nearly anywhere (2032 battery). I even seen them at drug stores for < 2 dollars. Hope this helps somebody out there.

-Jason
Having returned home after a few months away, and finding someone had disconnected the trickle charger from my C6 Zo6, the battery was completely dead !! Got in the car put in on charge. Neither fob1 or fob2 were recognised ! The car started by inserting one into the glove box as previously described - but kept getting the message "no fobs detected".. As neither fob worked I thought the worst, that the programming had been lost after weeks of a dead battery. I then found myself on this page..

Sure enough, replaced the batteries in both both fobs work just fine - the simple things first - thankfully, as no dealership back-up here in the UK :-/
Old 10-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Mark Jones Sr.
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Farsighted770
Same issue. Charged battery and new batteries in fobs. Still can't start the car. 05 c6 a4 and it is essentially just a giant garage ornament.

HELP!!!
I really don't want to share this because I feel senile. But I had the same problems. But I installed the new batteries in backwards. Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Mark Jones Sr.
2nd Gear

Make sure new fob batteries were not put in backwards.

Get notified of new replies

To No key fobs detected

Quick Reply: No key fobs detected