C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 C6 stock LS3 with supercharger...thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 03:40 PM
rnbiker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These posts are confirming for me what I already suspected... 500hp from a supercharged stock LS3 is a no brainer and easy on the engine. I rarely push my car as I said in the original post...and even then I don't overdo or abuse it.... Just the occasional "stop light challenge" or hard pull onto the freeway or something. I'm really feeling that all of the things done to my C5 in the name of horsepower were a waste. I should have just supercharged it and left everything else alone. I would have had more horsepower than I ended up with, it would have run better day to day, it would have gotten better mileage and I would have been so happy with it that I would still probably have it instead of my new one. I know being an '08 with less than 8,000 miles on her that I should just leave her alone, but I'd like just a little bit more power to be absolutely happy. If she'll still be able to go close to 100,000 miles with no more issues than a stocker, than it seems the way to go to me. I'm just a little "old school" and need to get used to the idea that modern engines can handle this sort of power. Back in the day, I would NEVER have put a blower on a sbc on a Camaro or Corvette without changing to forged EVERYTHING and studding EVERYTHING for fear of making a grenade engine... It seems people are doing that very thing on today's stockers with no issues. Also seems to me that dollar for dollar, the supercharger is the most bang for the buck and I can leave everything else stock to beat..... The arguments here are pretty convincing of that...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rnbiker
If she'll still be able to go close to 100,000 miles with no more issues than a stocker, than it seems the way to go to me..
Supercharged Corvettes are fantastic cars, no doubt. I have one and I love it.
But, let's think for a second OK? The Corvette is a sportscar: horsepower is what sells it. Why did GM go from 5.7L to 6L to 6.2L to 7L to gain a measly 100hp (C5Z to C6Z)? Why does the ZR-1 cost $110+thousand dollars and has a low compression, fully forged engine? Is everyone at GM just completely clueless and they don't realize you can just slap on a blower atop of a bone stock cast piston motor and make heroic power for over 100,000 miles with no issues?
Just think about that for a second. Because someone is wrong here: either you for believing it, or the Engineering team at GM for not capitalizing on a fantastic business opportunity to make super car power for cheap.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think a S/C is worth every penny. But factory reliability? Ha ha ha. You want factory reliability keep it stock. It'll run for a good while before something breaks (driveline or engine), but 100k miles? That is very unlikely. Half of that maybe, if you drive it carefully.

Last edited by PowerLabs; 03-03-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM
csnow
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
But, let's think for a second OK? The Corvette is a sportscar: horsepower is what sells it. Why did GM go from 5.7L to 6L to 6.2L to 7L to gain a measly 100hp (C5Z to C6Z)? Why does the ZR-1 cost $110+thousand dollars and has a low compression, fully forged engine? Is everyone at GM just completely clueless and they don't realize you can just slap on a blower atop of a bone stock cast piston motor and make heroic power for over 100,000 miles with no issues?
Just think about that for a second. Because someone is wrong here: either you for believing it, or the Engineering team at GM for not capitalizing on a fantastic business opportunity to make super car power for cheap.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think a S/C is worth every penny. But factory reliability? Ha ha ha. You want factory reliability keep it stock. It'll run for a good while before something breaks (driveline or engine), but 100k miles? That is very unlikely. Half of that maybe, if you drive it carefully.

Based on your power goals, I would stay NA. Have you thought about spray? A 75 or 100 wet shot will give you that once in awhile spirited driving you are looking for. With 200 foot lbs of torque, you would be faster than a down tuned SC. You also dont have to worry about belts, 100lbs of weight added to the nose of your car, and IAT issues. A 10lb bottle would give you 25-30 hits in 2nd and 3rd gear pulls. I would guess a N2O setup with window switch, bottle warmer, WOT switch, and install/tune would be around $1400. That is 5k worth of nitrous to buy. As said before, any modification increase risk and decreases the life of the motor.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:25 PM
rnbiker
Racer

Now, I don't know that I totally agree with this stance.. Here's why...

GM, like any other car manufacturer, needs to warranty the cars they sell. Now, knowing that a lot of people are going to put a performance-based car through its paces, they HAVE to have the extra protection built into the engine or be prepared to lose money in the long run. After all, stupid people buy the cars too....money doesn't always equal smart, especially about cars/engines. They are banking that my drivetrain in my car will last 100,000 miles or five years and that they will not have to do any major work to it. If they go up in perceived performance and actual horsepower, people will run them harder I think (think guy that buys the stock coupe vs. the guy who pennies up for a Z06)... They still offer a warranty on these cars and they NEED to overbuild them for additional protection against people running them hard. With that being said, my original thought is that if I don't run the hell out of the engine and don't abuse it, the occasional application of the additional horsepower should have little more impact on the engine than the way I run it already. Sure, even running my stocker hard, as in wot (and let's face it, a lot of Vette owners NEVER even actually do this!!) I could break something... But going up a little over 100hp (which can very nearly be done with just a tune, headers, cai and catback) I don't think I'd really be pushing the envelope. Again, my target is around 500hp max and I'd probably be happy with 480 or so considering how my C5 performed at 409rwhp... My goal is to gain this horsepower with as few changes to the stock setup as possible. This way, if I decide to sell her in a few years because I can finally afford the C7, I can just remove and sell the supercharger and just put the C6 back to stock in a jiffy to trade her in. I just learned the hard lesson that a modified Vette is worth less in a trade than a plain jane low mileage stocker. In fact, I found it funny because the more I talked about all the aftermarket goodies in my C5, the more "lost in space" the sales manager looked!! He just followed me up by saying, "so it's a good car and not a piece of junk, right??".. Too funny. Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. I'm not saying forged components wouldn't be the safest way to go as this would just be lunacy..but, I AM saying that the additional power I'm wanting shouldn't REQUIRE forged components to still give me good service and reasonable longevity. 100, 000 miles was what GM was willing to warranty on this car... Do I expect that even from a stocker?? Of course not. If I wanted that, I'd have bought a *** import car (don't be hating or snob-ish!! I love my current Vette and every one I've owned, but face it...the imports have a far better rep for longevity). If I get a reasonable number of miles and get the performance where I want it, I'll be a happy guy. After all, I'm a nurse and I know that eating steak and other crap can trim years off of my life, but even with that, it's the QUALITY and not the QUANTITY that counts, right?? That's why we eat junk, drink alcohol, skydive, drive ridiculously fast cars, etc... If she loses 20% of her life span but packs 500hp...it'll be worth it

Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

A similiar type discussion is going on over on the FI Forum. Thought I'd drag over a couple of quotes from guys who have more than a "sample size of one" or the "sample size of none" as their frame of reference.

Originally Posted by Andy@AandACorvette
The problem with posing a question such as this is that the regular guy who installed a system and just drives it, isn't constantly looking for more power, isn't hanging around the FI section every day.
I have LOTS of customers who have been going for years. (like 5 years or more) It's a VERY VERY small minority who have engine problems. Those are just the ones you hear about.
Who posts that my engine DIDN'T break?
If you don't push the envelope, there's absolutely no reason for the engine to break, EVER.
Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Well said Andy, the highest mileage customers here that I can think of are C5's since obviously they are older. One of them we installed our procharger kit on his car at 105,000 miles, the car now has over 225,000 miles and came back for a cam and methanol injection and a roll bar. (against our recommendation, but is still going strong, and that was 6-8 months ago) The car has had a trans rebuilt, but is on the stock engine still.
The second one that comes to mind is Shawn/2003VETTE on CF, who has now serpassed 1200 1/4 passes on his ECS Paxton kit/cam/alky. He was the very first customer to have a Paxton installed when we made the switch away from ATI, and has won the entire race series of our PRO 10.50 class last season, and has came very close during the last few years to other class wins. I'm not sure of the mileage during that time, but 1200 passes is pretty impressive to me, let alone it holds the record for the fastest stock bottom end LS1 @ 9.75/142, so this car is no slouch either.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Thanks Motorhead! I think I will mosey over to the FI section and read on!!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rnbiker
Now, I don't know that I totally agree with this stance.. Here's why...

GM, like any other car manufacturer, needs to warranty the cars they sell. Now, knowing that a lot of people are going to put a performance-based car through its paces, they HAVE to have the extra protection built into the engine or be prepared to lose money in the long run. After all, stupid people buy the cars too....money doesn't always equal smart, especially about cars/engines. They are banking that my drivetrain in my car will last 100,000 miles or five years
No, they build it so that the number of failures in 100k miles will be a certain(small) percentage of cars sold. That number is acceptable and taken into account on thr vehicle's price. In other words, the car is designed with a high probability that it will last that long. That is as much power as they can guarantee it can make for 100k miles. Any more and there is a high probability it wont last the warranty period which is precisely why when it does break as a result of mods, it is not covered under warranty...
You can believe anything you want to believe but always be sure to ask the question: "does this make sense" Are we outsmarting everyone who designed this car, or are we simply making a reliability compromise tha they could never make
Old 03-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,172 Likes on 677 Posts

I recall a few people with stock C6 manifolds having cat failures on S/C cars. My guess is that LS9 cats are not the same as the LS3. If I were supercharging an otherwise stock car and not running headers, I'd look into swapping to LS7 manifolds and cats or the set-up used on the ZR1.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:15 PM
rnbiker
Racer

Good advice ragtop.... I'm finding the same issues with others in posts I've seen. I'm not really opposed to changing from stock, I just want to keep it to a minimum given my previous C5 fiasco... Thanks for the tip...
Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Blew out my stock ls3 cats in less than 2k miles. Want to see the difference? The first dyno is with blown cats and with running more timing and leaner. We replaced the stock cats, pulled timing, and made the tune richer, and still got more power. My guess is with the same tune, I lost 40-50hp with blown cats. Also, look at how the car falls flat on its face and the powerband shifted with blown cats. I'm replacing the cats this week with headers to see what gains I get.

Bottom line, you can't run boost with stock cats. I thought my car was fine until we strapped it down.

Name:  dyno3.jpg
Views: 8253
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  scan0012.jpg
Views: 8277
Size:  78.7 KB
Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
I'd look into swapping to LS7 manifolds and cats or the set-up used on the ZR1.
Just an FYI, the ZO6 and ZR1 share the same manifolds and cats.

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Bottom line, you can't run boost with stock cats. I thought my car was fine until we strapped it down.
You had an unfortunate situation, but I persoanlly do not agree with that statement. A major part of cat failure is in the tune, and out of 100's of cars we have supercharged over the years, I have had one stock cat fail here, and that happened on the road course.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

For what it's worth my cats are still going strong after over 40,000 miles on boost. The engine blew up at 30k, but the cats are fine.
These are aftermarket cats on arh headers.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Interesting, Doug. I've heard a lot of people in Houston blowing there stock cats on boosted cars from the 3 big tuners here.

I'll be interested to see if 1-2k miles blew out the replacement ones when I take them off this week.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,337 Likes on 945 Posts

For what it's worth my cats are still going strong after over 40,000 miles on boost. The engine blew up at 30k, but the cats are fine.
These are aftermarket cats on arh headers.
Do the high flow/aftermarket cats really do the job or are they just there for looks? I'm sure they beat no cats...just wondering what compromises are made.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 AM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ill tell you rnbiker.. i was in the SAME position as you only a few weeks ago.

I went with an ECS kit on my 08 ls3 which is FULLY stock. I was looking to break 550ish rwhp as well/... with the nice cool weather it came back at 590rwhp/590rwtq

So you are def on target if not even very LOW for a base supercharger kit.

As far as driveability... besides getting 4mpg MORE then I was before... the throttle is only like 2% more touchy at like 2k rpm (prolly because of the 400lb tq) but otherwise stock

I say GO FOR IT!!! you will need to relearn how to drive lol but so far its well worth it for me!! (plus a proper tune is key for not making your engine go boom)

and ps read the reason WHY some of these guys engines exploded.... one guy the BAP was turned OFF completely ... and he wonders if it was his engines time.... no it wasnt... but someone messed with her car and not enough fuel = lean= boom thats not a superchargers fault!

pss yes it will slowly kill your engine but driving decently i think it will be worth your time.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by robertaj
besides getting 4mpg MORE then I was before...

and ps read the reason WHY some of these guys engines exploded.... one guy the BAP was turned OFF completely ... and he wonders if it was his engines time.... no it wasnt... but someone messed with her car and not enough fuel = lean= boom thats not a superchargers fault!

pss yes it will slowly kill your engine but driving decently i think it will be worth your time.
4mpg more huh? Makes one wonder why GM doesn't just supercharge every single vehicle on their fleet instead of reducing displacement to meet the new CAFE regulations regarding fuel economy Or why the ZR1 has to pay gas guzzler tax. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the DIC calculating fuel consumption based on injector duty cycle and the larger injectors we run because of added fuel consumption on boost

FYI mine just broke. No det, no bad fuel, no failed BAP, and it was very well tuned by the same guy that tuned your car. The piston ring land simply fatigued and broke off; that stuff just happens...
Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

... making close to 600RWHP. It was professionally tuned, well kept and run on 93 premium only. The piston split in half and the engine was destroyed. I did drive the absolute crap out of it though.

FYI mine just broke. No det, no bad fuel, no failed BAP, and it was very well tuned by the same guy that tuned your car. The piston ring land simply fatigued and broke off; that stuff just happens...

...it "just broke"...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there is probably some correlation between beating the crap out of your car all of the time and how long you can expect it to last..mod'd or not.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 C6 stock LS3 with supercharger...thoughts??

Old 03-05-2011, 03:41 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Do the high flow/aftermarket cats really do the job or are they just there for looks? I'm sure they beat no cats...just wondering what compromises are made.
Yup, there are compromises. They have a less dense matrix so it is doubtful that they work quite as well.
That said, they make the exhaust quieter than a cat less exhaust and there is no smell. I couldn't stand cat less exhaust, and I'm very happy running cats.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:42 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
...it "just broke"...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there is probably some correlation between beating the crap out of your car all of the time and how long you can expect it to last..mod'd or not.
Yes buddy, I did not put a blower on my car so I could drive grandma to church on sundays.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Yes buddy, I did not put a blower on my car so I could drive grandma to church on sundays.
No point in having the power and not using it. To each, their own though.

Quick Reply: 2008 C6 stock LS3 with supercharger...thoughts??