C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Comp Cams 1.8 rockers

Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 PM
1FSTVET
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new Comp Cams 1.8 rockers

I am looking to do the new comp 1.8 roller rockers part #16755-KIT on my full bolt on Ls2 the mods I have now are K+N intake,LT headers,high flow cats, xpipe, B+B bullits,fast 102 intake manifold and a recent dyno tune.I want to keep this a full bolt on car so thats why I am not doing a cam. I spoke to Brian at Hinson super cars about power gains, but I want to hear from anyone else who thinks what gains I will get making this change from the stock 1.7 to the 1.8 rockers.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
1FSTVET
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1FSTVET
I am looking to do the new comp 1.8 roller rockers part #16755-KIT on my full bolt on Ls2 the mods I have now are K+N intake,LT headers,high flow cats, xpipe, B+B bullits,fast 102 intake manifold and a recent dyno tune.I want to keep this a full bolt on car so thats why I am not doing a cam. I spoke to Brian at Hinson super cars about power gains, but I want to hear from anyone else who thinks what gains I will get making this change from the stock 1.7 to the 1.8 rockers.
Also does anyone think I should use yella terra ultralites instead and can I use my stock springs with the 1.8 rockers?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Your springs are good for .580 lift, but it's more than just about lift, it's also about spring pressure and valve control. You will probably run into some valve float once you change the rockers. You not only changed the weight over the valve, but also the rate at which the valve opens and the spring may not be suitable. I would do a spring change when changing out the rockers.

Check with these people, they had some 1.8 X 3/8 X 5/16 kits posted but I don't see it now, only 3/8 X 3/8

http://www.jobberwarehouse.com/index.aspx
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...rms/index.html
Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would install Patriot Springs and hardened push rods for stability as mentioned.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM
glenB
Safety Car

I have a set of those shaft mounts shown in the article for sale $450 complete plus shipping 1.8 ratio
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
360jeepboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of gains can be expected?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I am looking to do the new comp 1.8 roller rockers part #16755-KIT on my full bolt on Ls2 the mods I have now are K+N intake,LT headers,high flow cats, xpipe, B+B bullits,fast 102 intake manifold and a recent dyno tune.I want to keep this a full bolt on car so thats why I am not doing a cam.
Unfortunately, changing out one's rockers is an internal engine modification and no longer falls under the realm of 'bolt ons only', just as installing a cam would.

There are power gains to be had from the swap but I would sooner just install a cam with some good springs and even a new timing chain before doing rockers.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Unfortunately, changing out one's rockers is an internal engine modification and no longer falls under the realm of 'bolt ons only', just as installing a cam would.

There are power gains to be had from the swap but I would sooner just install a cam with some good springs and even a new timing chain before doing rockers.
I could see rockers as a bolt on, less work than doing headers. I think the OP just meant he didn't want to install a cam.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:04 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by glenB
I could see rockers as a bolt on, less work than doing headers.
It's not a matter of seeing it or not seeing it as a bolt on or even what amount of work is involved in the install.
There are simply certain areas that are not considered bolt ons and any internal engine part that touches motor oil while performing it's functions is not a bolt on.
Bolting on a top mount blower, a nitrous kit or maybe even cylinder heads might also be less work than installing headers but that still doesn't make them bolt ons.

I think the OP just meant he didn't want to install a cam.
Oh, I must've misinterpreted this part:
I want to keep this a full bolt on car
Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 PM
glenB
Safety Car

It's not a matter of seeing it or not seeing it as a bolt on or even what amount of work is involved in the install.
There are simply certain areas that are not considered bolt ons and any internal engine part that touches motor oil while performing it's functions is not a bolt on.
Bolting on a top mount blower, a nitrous kit or maybe even cylinder heads might also be less work than installing headers but that still doesn't make them bolt ons.

Oh, I must've misinterpreted this part:
Spool down turbo, nobody in this thread is after any record of yours so don't get your panties in a bunch ....
Old 03-05-2011, 01:37 PM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

IFSTVET did state that he wanted to be a true bolt-on car. If he changes the rockers he disqualifies his ride as a true bolt-on. LS1LT1 was just pointing out this forums rules. I would hate to spend all that money and find out it NO longer falls in that class and now must compete with internal modified engines. This forum relies on honesty and integrity and any help and or suggestions from it's members are welcomed.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Where does it say the OP is going after any bolt on record? I'm not espousing cheating, just don't see where the OP is racing
Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Spool down turbo, nobody in this thread is after any record of yours so don't get your panties in a bunch ....
Where the fv<k is that coming from?!
It has little to do with records or even the 1/4 mile performance lists, it has to do with simply using proper terminology and definitions which apparently you don't seem to care about yet still have plenty to say on the subject.
If someone were to see a Corvette and then call it a Camaro would you not correct them?
One can't just decide on their own that when the traffic light is red that it's ok to proceed forward, the system just isn't set up to operate that way.
You brought up the list, not me. Don't assume that my sole motivation was to protect my spot on some list because it's not. I've occupied those spots for A LONG time now, I'm not too worried LOL.
But I do find it funny that some tend to have something to say about those lists until they themselves run a decent number and suddenly want to be put on one LOL, and yes if/when that happens it is somewhat important to know which one certain modifications will land you on.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I researched this before I did a cam.

The results were negligible gain for relatively high cost due to new springs being necessary.

There is a reason nobody does this mod....it's not worth it.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 PM
SweetS10v8
Instructor

It has little to do with records or even the 1/4 mile performance lists, it has to do with simply using proper terminology and definitions which apparently you don't seem to care about yet still have plenty to say on the subject.
You guys are goofy. Who freaking cares if its a "bolt on" vs an "internal mod". Its a modification to your vehicle for a performance gain, leave it at that.

Ive never seen a bible on what is bolt on and what isnt. Who would be the author/keeper of this book of proper terminology and definitions?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:31 PM
1FSTVET
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I researched this before I did a cam.

The results were negligible gain for relatively high cost due to new springs being necessary.

There is a reason nobody does this mod....it's not worth it.
Have you read the article that Tomiboy posted from corvette fever mag it gives good info on power gains 20 to 30 from making the switch from stock 1.7 to 1.8 ratio I would say that is worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To The new Comp Cams 1.8 rockers

Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SweetS10v8
Who freaking cares if its a "bolt on" vs an "internal mod". Its a modification to your vehicle for a performance gain, leave it at that.
You're absolutely right, in the grand scheme of things it really does not matter.
But apparently it does matter to the original poster otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned that he wants to keep it a full bolt ons only car and that he wants to avoid installing a cam for that very reason. If he wasn't at least a little bit concerned with titles or definitions then he simply would've asked "hey I'm considering installing some rockers, what do you think?"
Or do you also believe that installing a cam still keeps one within the specs of a 'bolt on car' as well?

Originally Posted by SweetS10v8
Ive never seen a bible on what is bolt on and what isnt. Who would be the author/keeper of this book of proper terminology and definitions?
There is no bible and there are no keepers of it. It's merely a series of basic rules/stipulations established some 12-13+ years ago by a bunch of racers on LS1.com (and later LS1 Tech) and they were adopted/universally accepted by the C5 (and later C5 Z06) guys on this board and followed ever since.
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to get at with some of your statements here, if a person claims that they have a 2005 C6 Z06 or a factory built 2008 C6 Z06 convertible on an open forum should we really just let it go/not question it either because, well, it really just doesn't matter?
If someone asks why their C6 LS3 makes so must less power than a C6 ZR1 (afterall, they're both 6.2L V8s, right?) should we tell them that it doesn't matter because they're both still fast?
Where does one draw the line on order and attempting to provide correct information?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Have you read the article that Tomiboy posted from corvette fever mag it gives good info on power gains 20 to 30 from making the switch from stock 1.7 to 1.8 ratio I would say that is worth it.
yea right. Let's see a dyno sheet with 20-30 HP gain from a rocker change on the lsx engine.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Where the fv<k is that coming from?!

thats the first time i ever seen you mis spell a word clearly no need for those haters statements

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The new Comp Cams 1.8 rockers