Paddle shifter F1-mod DIY? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle shifter F1-mod DIY?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM
vig1116
CF Senior Member

Thanks, I'm gonna try this. This is a no brainier cause nothing is being modified, if I don't like it I just switch the 2 wires back.... Thank you!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Thanked 2,747 Times in 1,885 Posts

The way to avoid confusion is to cut the thumb buttons off so all you have are the paddles behind the spoke. I have the stock paddles on my Malibu and the thumb buttons are hard to use anyways as I have to rotate my hand to get the thumb to hit the buttons. Don't have to rotate my hand to pull on the paddles.

Bill
Old 11-20-2013, 06:22 PM
akcraig85
CF Senior Member

I just did this myself and it worked great. I've used these connectors before and know how to get them out without messing them up.

Take a paper clip and beat the end of it flat. This is kind of hard to since its already skinny and you will have to use a metal surface to hammer against. I tried to take a picture but it doesn't look very flat but it is.

Then insert the paper clip in the back of the connector on top of the wire. Don't pay attention to the color code in my picture because I didn't take it till the swap was already done. When the paper clip is inserted correctly the wire will slide right out. Its hard to explain but you can kind of feel a pop when its correct. Don't pull on the wire until the paper clip is inserted because that will make it harder to come out.

Hope this helps.

Picture of the Paper clip (i know it isn't great)

Picture of the paper clip in the connector
The Following User Says Thank You to akcraig85 For This Useful Post:
Gryphon_ (12-05-2017)
Old 11-20-2013, 06:46 PM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I found Dan's write up about 2-3 years ago and did the mod. I like using the finger pads and this allowed me to downshift on the left side, and upshift on the right side using the finger pad. Of course, now the thumb pads are upshift for the left, and downshift for the right.
I changed my (+) (-) indicators with arrows. Here is a pic of that.

Thanks DAN, for a great write up with pics.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-02-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 PM
zrracer
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

LV2TOUR,
How did U do the arrows?
Thks,
Robin
Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 PM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zrracer View Post
LV2TOUR,
How did U do the arrows?
Thks,
Robin
I used Microsoft Word Shapes format.
I then printed them on Ink Jet Water Resistant Gloss Full page Labels
and cut them out to fit the thumb paddles.
Here is the link to the labels
http://www.labelsbythesheet.com/item...abels/list.htm

and I've added a PDF of the Arrows

Hope this answers your questions. If you need anything else, PM me
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
paddle arrows.pdf (155.6 KB, 419 views)
Old 11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
dbratten
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by akcraig85 View Post
I just did this myself and it worked great. I've used these connectors before and know how to get them out without messing them up.
<...>
Hope this helps.
Thank you, Adam. I took you up on your offer and have added your helpful tips and pictures to my file.

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR View Post
I found Dan's write up about 2-3 years ago and did the mod. I like using the finger pads and this allowed me to downshift on the left side, and upshift on the right side using the finger pad. Of course, now the thumb pads are upshift for the left, and downshift for the right.
I changed my (+) (-) indicators with arrows.
Thanks DAN, for a great write up with pics.
Very cool mod with the arrows. Thank you for including a template. I will add it to my file as you have it posted here for anyone to use.

--Dan
Old 03-10-2014, 03:21 PM
vettdreamer
CF Senior Member

Hello all thinking about this mod again i made some changes with the wiring to get the right paddle to shift up ether push or pull and the left to own shift either push or pull. Now i need some advise on the wiring mods to the diagrams. Do any of you wiring wizards agree with what i have done. The changes to the wires are in red in the green circle

Thanks

Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 AM
dbratten
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vettdreamer View Post

I took a close look at the diagrams you sent and I believe your mod will do what you want and have the left side only-downshift and the right side only-upshift. I can't swear to it as I am only a hobbyist but I would try it.

Since you need to work on the left paddle, anyway, I would place the jumper connection (joining tan and purple) to only-upshift (shown on the right side) within the left paddle. Just remove the tan wire connection on the left first.

--Dan
Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 AM
vettdreamer
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dbratten View Post
I took a close look at the diagrams you sent and I believe your mod will do what you want and have the left side only-downshift and the right side only-upshift. I can't swear to it as I am only a hobbyist but I would try it.

Since you need to work on the left paddle, anyway, I would place the jumper connection (joining tan and purple) to only-upshift (shown on the right side) within the left paddle. Just remove the tan wire connection on the left first.

--Dan
Dan thanks for the input as soon as the car gets home from winter storage i am going to try it.
Thanks alot for your input

Ron
Old 05-31-2014, 09:51 PM
dustbusterplus
CF Senior Member

I'm currently trying this mod but having difficulty removing the wires from the connection. I removed the white keeper at the end of the connector but when I stick the flattened paper clip (safety pin for me) I can't get it to release the wire.

Do I insert the flattened tool up against the top of the connector or right on top of the wire and stick in? How far in should the flattened tool go? Do I need to apply any pressure once the tool is in?

Any advice?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 PM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dustbusterplus View Post
I'm currently trying this mod but having difficulty removing the wires from the connection. I removed the white keeper at the end of the connector but when I stick the flattened paper clip (safety pin for me) I can't get it to release the wire.

Do I insert the flattened tool up against the top of the connector or right on top of the wire and stick in? How far in should the flattened tool go? Do I need to apply any pressure once the tool is in?

Any advice?
My wires came out without much pushing of the paper clip at all.
When you push in the clip on top of the wire push the wire in at the same time, and then pull back the wire. It should slip right out.
Good Luck.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 PM
dustbusterplus
CF Senior Member

Do you remember about how far in the clip had to go to release the wire? Was it most of the length of the connector or just barely in?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 PM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Do you remember about how far in the clip had to go to release the wire? Was it most of the length of the connector or just barely in?
it's been 3-4 years since I did this mod from Dan's instructions, but I think the paper clip was most of the way in. Push the wire inward when you put in the paper clip, then pull the wire out. It should slip right out of the connector.
Get that paper clip thin and flat using a hammer to get it that way. The pic above shows the paper clip flattened. As long as the flattened paper clip is not as wide as the wire, it should work OK.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:09 PM
dustbusterplus
CF Senior Member

I finally got the wires to pull out and it was a piece of cake to swap and put everything back together.

I test drove it with the mod and I think I'll be using the paddles a lot more. This is the way they should have been all along IMO.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:50 PM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I finally got the wires to pull out and it was a piece of cake to swap and put everything back together.

I test drove it with the mod and I think I'll be using the paddles a lot more. This is the way they should have been all along IMO.

Thanks for your help!
Awesome job.

I'm glad I did this years ago. I use the paddles almost 99% of the time.
It's nice to have the right finger paddle for upshifting, and the left finger paddle for downshifting.
It should have been set up this way from the factory in the first place.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Andarwa

Thanks for posting this mod. I'm in paddle shift heaven!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dbratten View Post

--Dan
Resurrecting an old post here as I'm looking for some clarity on the differences between the 'wire switch' mod and the aftermarket modded left paddle. It seems the wire mod leaves the push switches in opposite sense to their paddles, but the aftermarket mod has same sense for push and paddle per side. The wire mod is done on right paddle, but the aftermarket mod is a replacement left paddle. So it should be possible to do a wiring mod on the left paddle to get same function as the aftermarket mod, if thats the config you prefer. Anyone tried that? It looks like the post I quoted was going that way but there was no follow up.

Last edited by Gryphon_; 12-05-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by akcraig85 View Post

Take a paper clip and beat the end of it flat. This is kind of hard to since its already skinny and you will have to use a metal surface to hammer against. I tried to take a picture but it doesn't look very flat but it is.

Then insert the paper clip in the back of the connector on top of the wire. Don't pay attention to the color code in my picture because I didn't take it till the swap was already done. When the paper clip is inserted correctly the wire will slide right out. Its hard to explain but you can kind of feel a pop when its correct. Don't pull on the wire until the paper clip is inserted because that will make it harder to come out.

Hope this helps.
<image>
Picture of the Paper clip (i know it isn't great)
<image>
Picture of the paper clip in the connector
This is the most useful post ever. I struggled with getting the wires out and was about to give up, then beat a paperclip flat and inserted it exactly as he shows - and the wires just drop out.

Now my paddles work F1-style and the push buttons are opposite to each paddle (allowing one hand driving). AWESOME mod. Thanks to all the contributors!

Last edited by Gryphon_; 12-05-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Andarwa

Did the mod today. If you search "C6 corvette remove steering wheel airbag" there is a video of a guy changing out his steering wheel and the video provides a complete perspective on removing the center airbag assy. And it ain't easy, had a tough time finding the spring wire and when it was found the tool would slip right off the edge. Use the largest allen wrench that goes through the hole but leaves some free play to wiggle it around. One side was way easier than the other but I eventually got on that spring just right and that side finally popped out.

I did unplug and remove the airbag and radio control panel to get them out of the way and prevent any cosmetic damage. I had enough extra wire and did not have to remove the paddle assy to unplug it. The hardest part was getting the pins out of the jack and I'm no virgin to doing that. These pins are held by a plastic tab in the hole so you want to get the flat part between the tab and the back edge of the pin so it will slide by the tab. One took about 5 minutes and the other 10. As stated, when you get this just right the pin easily pulls out so be patient and keep working it until the stars align in your favor.

What troubled me about this mod was swapping the wires which makes the thumb button a down shift although it is clearly labeled plus. Someone else driving the vehicle or me accidentally hitting it was the concern. Accidentally upshifting may ruin what you wanted to do but nothing dangerous will come from it. Accidentally downshifting could cause the vehicle to unexpectedly lose traction under the right conditions. Safety first. So I swapped the purple for the tan wire in the connector but left the tan wire disconnected. Put some heat shrink on the pin and stuffed it into the wiring harness cover that is around the wires. The plus thumb button does nothing now on that side of the wheel.

Putting it all back together was the easy part and a test drive confirmed correct operation.

This mod is so friggin cool! Thanks, thanks and thanks to all!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paddle shifter F1-mod DIY?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: