C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 knock, (video)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 06:35 AM
D2207
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 knock, (video)

Hi! My ls3 start knocking, I think it not bottom. Its completely stock, 44k miles, drive aggressively (high RPM). Can someone give me suggestions what is knocking and how it critical?
P/S: new oil 5-30, pressure well, look at photo.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:06 PM
1hander
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

my ls2 does the same thing, i have a wiped lobe and a bad roller in the lifter on number 8
it sounds almost exactly like mine.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:57 AM
D2207
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 1hander
my ls2 does the same thing, i have a wiped lobe and a bad roller in the lifter on number 8
it sounds almost exactly like mine.
Thx for response! I think its a lifter too. How long you driving while ls2 is knocking?
Old 01-01-2024, 12:36 PM
1hander
Racer

Originally Posted by D2207
Thx for response! I think its a lifter too. How long you driving while ls2 is knocking?
about 7 or 8k miles..I stopped driving it when the knock became a squea and glitter started showing up in the pan and filter...
l..I think the lifter roller seized and that's when I started building a motor for it ..
The following users liked this post:
D2207 (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 07:03 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Figure out what is actually wrong with it before driving another inch. You might get by with some fairly inexpensive repairs. Drive it from a light click to a loud clack or knock and you can guarantee yourself an engine rebuild.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:07 PM
1hander
Racer

I agree completely
Old 01-02-2024, 04:36 AM
D2207
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Figure out what is actually wrong with it before driving another inch. You might get by with some fairly inexpensive repairs. Drive it from a light click to a loud clack or knock and you can guarantee yourself an engine rebuild.
That's true. yes you right. But to be sure its knock comes from lifter need to remove heads. that's mean new gaskets. that's mean delivery 2-3 weeks(I live in Europe)Or existing another way to check healthy of lifters?
P/S: one more thing, when I buy a vette first what I did was change the oil, because we know that Americans don't take good care of their cars, most but not all. Unfortunately, this is my case, the oil drained from the engine was blacker than black, it seems it was never changed in 44k miles. This led to the knocking of the lifters

Last edited by D2207; 01-02-2024 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:44 AM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

Of all forums.... Think this is the last one to say "most Americans don't take care of their cars"... Where did you get your Vette from? An American.. or some other European who may or may not have..as you say taken good care of it? I would be safe to say every American on this forum takes pretty good care of their cars!
good luck with your knock!
The following 3 users liked this post by Lee Cromwell:
1 MEAN66 (01-15-2024), grinder11 (01-11-2024), TCW (01-28-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 03:13 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hander
about 7 or 8k miles..I stopped driving it when the knock became a squea and glitter started showing up in the pan and filter...
l..I think the lifter roller seized and that's when I started building a motor for it ..
I can guarantee you that driving a car with a seized roller for 7-8k miles.....Hell, 2k miles, or less, will have all that metallic grit scoring your cylinders. You'll turn your oil into an abrasive fluid! DON'T DO IT!!! Motorhead is right. Don't drive it another inch!!! I once drove a car after an overrev. A click was immediately apparent that wasn't there before. I was hoping it was just my picky, paranoid hearing. Until wife and I went through a drive thru. Wife immediately asked "what's that noise?" I knew right then it wasn't good. Got home 150 miles later, and pulled the heads. Lifter wheel had a nice flat on it, cam was junk, oil pump was junk, and cylinders were all scored. Worst FRIGGING thing about it was I KNEW something was wrong, but drove it home to save a $200 towing bill!!!!! Dont ask how that worked out for me. But, drive thru's are great external engine stethoscope's......
The following users liked this post:
D2207 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 04:50 PM
D2207
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell
Of all forums.... Think this is the last one to say "most Americans don't take care of their cars"... Where did you get your Vette from? An American.. or some other European who may or may not have..as you say taken good care of it? I would be safe to say every American on this forum takes pretty good care of their cars!
good luck with your knock!
That's not a thread of topic, if you want discuss something pls PM me
Old 01-11-2024, 04:57 PM
D2207
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by grinder11
I can guarantee you that driving a car with a seized roller for 7-8k miles.....Hell, 2k miles, or less, will have all that metallic grit scoring your cylinders. You'll turn your oil into an abrasive fluid! DON'T DO IT!!! Motorhead is right. Don't drive it another inch!!! I once drove a car after an overrev. A click was immediately apparent that wasn't there before. I was hoping it was just my picky, paranoid hearing. Until wife and I went through a drive thru. Wife immediately asked "what's that noise?" I knew right then it wasn't good. Got home 150 miles later, and pulled the heads. Lifter wheel had a nice flat on it, cam was junk, oil pump was junk, and cylinders were all scored. Worst FRIGGING thing about it was I KNEW something was wrong, but drove it home to save a $200 towing bill!!!!! Dont ask how that worked out for me. But, drive thru's are great external engine stethoscope's......
sometime its knocking sometime all fine. I don't understand under what condition it knocks

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 knock, (video)

Quick Reply: LS3 knock, (video)