C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter repair in Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Starter repair in Phoenix

Got in my daily driven 2006 A6 on Wed morning to go to work and nothing but a click. I went to Checkers to get a battery and they said my 2 year old Delco was fine. Went back and tightened the nut on the starter solenoid. No luck. Batteries don't last much longer than 2 years in Phoenix, so I went to the dealer and bought a new one for $130. The group 90 at Checkers was $100 and they didn't have one. Since all you do is rent a battery, I figured I better get the one at a Chevy dealer so I can get one in any town I might be in during a trip.

Well, Checkers was right, still didn't fix it. So I dropped the starter. Took me a little longer because I had to loosen the header on the passenger's side. It also hung up coming out, and I forgot about the shim you have to loosen. Man, it's been 20 years since I took out a starter. I just loosened the small bolt that holds the plastic shim in place and the starter came right out.

Looking at my options, everything took time. Checkers or Autozone had to order the starter and wait a couple of days. Chevy wanted over $400, Gene only wanted $300, but shipping would take 5 days. I then remembered a small electrical shop that I used a long time ago to rebuild 911 alternators: C&C Electric at 3046 E. Southern in Phoenix.

So I called C&C and they said they could fix it. Drove over and talked to the son, who is my age, 57. His Dad used to work at Garrett, where I have worked for over 33 years. I said, "I assume your Dad has passed away." He then hollared at a guy with a welder's helmet on. This old guy lifted his helmet and the kid said, "Hey Pop, this guy thinks you are dead!" We all got a good laugh. This old guy had gone to work for Garrett in 1953. I went to work for them in 1976. My employee number is 13XXX. His was 42.

Anyway, he rebuilt the starter for $100 and it looks great. He said the armature was "open." He put in a new armature, greased the planet gears, put in new brushes, and it was done the next morning.

Putting it back in took about an hour in a half. It was a little awkward because I didn't have the car high enough on jack stands. Got everything buttoned back up and viola, fired right up. What a great feeling. I had also bought a starter thermal blanket, but decided to put it on the headers next to the starter. That might have been a mistake because I'm not sure it will take the heat. If it melts, I'll take it off and get some header wrap.

If anyone in Phoenix wants to avoid a $400 starter, take yours to C&C. I like keeping my original starter because I know it only has 42,000 miles on it. You have no idea what you will get from Checkers or Autozone with their rebuilds.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:03 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great info and story.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Great story and good reccomendation, you should add it to our local froum too.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Nice story. I too found that our starters are hard to find. I had to mail order it from DB Electric. ~$75 shipped, no core charge. http://www.db-starter-alternator.com...-60-liter.aspx

The reason I had to replace mine is the plastic housing on the solenoid that holds in the lug that the battery and alternator attach to cracked from heat fatigue, likely due to the headers. Did they replace the solenoid housing on yours?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good job. I'm sure your right about the heat and headers. How many miles on your C6.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:23 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's good people out here, but man are they tough to find. I'll have to write his info down somewhere. Mine can't be too much further behind yours Glen.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:23 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

really good story. finding a shop that rebuilds electrics is not easy today. I'm sure they're out there, but nearly as many as there used to be.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the comments. 5 Liter, how is that $75 new starter? Obviously made in China, but I'm betting the OEM is also made in China. Looked nice in the photos. Probably worth buying one just to have around as a spare!!!!

Les, my car has 42,000 miles on it, way too soon to have a starter go out. I hate to say it, but typical GM, starters, water pumps, and alternators do not last long enough for me.

Last edited by glennhl; 05-13-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Looks OK to me. Installing it on Sunday. I bet it'll last at least as long as the stocker.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Looks OK to me. Installing it on Sunday. I bet it'll last at least as long as the stocker.
Keep me informed on how it works. If it works well, I'll pick one up as a spare.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Its in and goes vroom so I'm happy.

It did have a "made in China" sticker on it but I don't really care.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 05-15-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:14 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

I agree with you. $400 plus for a starter is such a rip-off. Plus I'm betting the OEM starter is also made in China. Guaranteed it's made offshore.

I think I'll order one for a back-up. Since this is my daily driver, I can do a starter swap in a couple of hours and not lose a day of work.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:46 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

5 Liter, thanks for the recomendation. At that price, I decided to go ahead and get one. Heck, I hope I don't need it for 5 years (that's how long my OEM lasted), but I figured if I don't use it before getting rid of the car (which I may never do!) I can always sell it.

Thanks,
Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by glennhl
5 Liter, thanks for the recomendation. At that price, I decided to go ahead and get one. Heck, I hope I don't need it for 5 years (that's how long my OEM lasted), but I figured if I don't use it before getting rid of the car (which I may never do!) I can always sell it.

Thanks,
If you leave that spare starter in the garage, you will have a starter failure during a road trip 2,000 miles from home. If you carry the spare and the required tools with you, you'll never have another starter failure in your lifetime.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
If you leave that spare starter in the garage, you will have a starter failure during a road trip 2,000 miles from home. If you carry the spare and the required tools with you, you'll never have another starter failure in your lifetime.
So true! This is the first car I've had that was an auto. Whenever I've had starter problems before I could always bump start it.

Last edited by glennhl; 05-15-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM
xxvanzantxx
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey

Ordering my starter with DB electrical today, anyone has any issues with it?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
xxvanzantxx
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your post !!

Get notified of new replies

To Starter repair in Phoenix

Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by xxvanzantxx
thanks for your post !!
My rebuilt starter is still going strong and the spare DB Starter is still sitting in my garage. Maybe 5 liter eater will post how his has been doing.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by glennhl
My rebuilt starter is still going strong and the spare DB Starter is still sitting in my garage. Maybe 5 liter eater will post how his has been doing.
Now that I know you have a spare, you're going to be my emergency supplier.

My OEM lasted 72K until I broke the bakelite solenoid battery stud. I got a $90 O'Reilley's replacement. As I sourced it, I found they were manufactured in Michigan and may be the supplier for GM, etc.

I'm on the third alternator. Number one died at 800 miles and the second at 51K.

Strange as it may seem, the OEM water pump is still going strong at 104K.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Now that I know you have a spare, you're going to be my emergency supplier.

My OEM lasted 72K until I broke the bakelite solenoid battery stud. I got a $90 O'Reilley's replacement. As I sourced it, I found they were manufactured in Michigan and may be the supplier for GM, etc.

I'm on the third alternator. Number one died at 800 miles and the second at 51K.

Strange as it may seem, the OEM water pump is still going strong at 104K.
Did you get a complete starter for $90 or just the solenoid?

Quick Reply: Starter repair in Phoenix