C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&B Headers/Xpipe/QTP cutouts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 PM
bigtool03
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default B&B Headers/Xpipe/QTP cutouts.

So i got my B&B 1 7/8 headers and 3in xpipe in a few days ago. Took a little longer then i anticipated, from what i was told they were having trouble with bending the tubes and ended up modifying a z06 exhaust to fit an ls3. Didn't go with kooks because of the fitment and quality issues ive been hearing about and seeing, and LG, ARH, and B&B 1 7/8 headers and xpipe and all about the same price, so went with B&B just to be different.

Headers went on without a problem whatsoever, i also really like the look of them, however the xpipe was a different story. The flanges from the xpipe to the headers didnt match up and t
he xpipe was at an angle, also it was about 10 inches too short to mount up to my stock exhaust. I knew I would have to modify it to fit my stock exhaust but didnt think it would be short 10 inches. So i brought it Meineke (would defiantly recommend to anyone who lives around Lake Charles, La). They had to notch the xpipe to get it straight, weld on a different flange to mount up to the headers, and add pipe to the back. The QTPs went on after that and after a little clearance problem with the cutouts opening and closing i was off. Cost a little over $200. Extremely happy with the sound of them, lots of drone from 1600 to 1900 rpms with them open but who cares, it sounds like a d@nm street legal drag car

Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 PM
bigtool03
Intermediate

I put turndowns on it also but didnt take a pic of it.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I got the 1 3/4 headers and their hfc x-pipe and their PRTs and all went on with no probs. What was it that was making yours so bad? The cutouts?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 PM
bigtool03
Intermediate

No, it was the flange from the xpipe to the header, it didn't fit the gasket, too big or something. The xpipe was at an angle, like it was bent. One way it would hang down too low, turn it over and it would hit that plate covering the drive shaft. It being too short wasn't too big of a deal. Really none of it was, there was nothing wrong that an exhaust shop couldn't handle. It's just if your were trying to do it by yourself, it would have been a little difficult. I'm pleased with the finished product, I'm just telling how it went.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:42 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you made your car sound like it should
Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 PM
hammert85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. This is the exact thread I was hoping to find and I have a couple questions for you...... I have the same setup as far as Long Tubes and catless X pipe mounted to the stock exhaust. First off, it is def not loud enough for me as I was expecting some more sound. Thus I am considering going with the cut-outs. My questions are do you notice an excessive smell of gas with them open and being closer to the cab? I can notice some smell right now but I don't have a tune yet and it is nothing horrible. Secondly where did you mount your switch and do you have the car tuned yet? Also how much did your shop charge for the cut-out install as I am trying to get a rough idea of the cost...... And if you have any videos that would be great if you can share! Thanks
Old 05-20-2011, 11:10 PM
bigtool03
Intermediate

I haven't smelled excessive gas or anything, I've only had it for a day though. I would get a whiff here and there but nothing bad. I mounted my switch in the same place another guy did on this website, it's the left screw in the center consol. I could take a pic tomorrow. I don't have a tune yet, probably wait till I get an a&a kit installed. The shop charged me 220 but they had to do more work then just installing cutouts. My guess would be about 80 or so. Don't have any videos yet but I plan on going put tomorrow and taking a few. Honstly though, you can't go wrong with cutouts.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never smelled anything in my catless setup after it was tuned.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 AM
hammert85
Racer

Cool. Thanks for the comments guys. I know I def need to get a tune cause the car is pretty rich right now. If you could snap a pic of where you mounted your switch that would be awesome. I am going to go with a set of cutouts as I found a local shop that said they could do it in about an hour. Now I just need to decide what to get QTP or DMH. I am thinking DMH because they have the low profile version and my car is lowered.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
hammert85
Racer

Any videos/pictures yet? I want to hear these things!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 PM
SoonerC6
Racer

On my first C6 ('05 z51), I ran B&B headers into the stock 2.5'' H-pipe. I really liked those headers and 4 years ago they were less than $900, but not so much now ... Really surprised about the xpipe issues you had, didn't think they'd let that happen. My setup was mated w/ bullets, so it was insanely loud. Oh, and i do remember some fumes from no cats but not really a big deal at all.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 PM
bigtool03
Intermediate

Sorry about the quality, I was filming with my phone and it was windy. They are alot louder then they sound in the video.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 PM
hammert85
Racer

Sounds great! Not raspy at all nice tone.... I can't wait!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bigtool03
Sorry about the quality, I was filming with my phone and it was windy. They are alot louder then they sound in the video.

Damn that is loud but I like it, its what a big V8 should sound like. My fav thing every morning is starting the car and hearing that beast wake up.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

loud as all get go! sounds great. makes me want to get some long tubes :/

Ok, so here is a question about the "smell"

on my last car, c5 i had full exhaust with no cats and vararram intake.

The previous owner put it on, and never tuned it..but the car would leave my cloths stinking like i was at the race track if i took it for a spin with the top off. especially if i was in stop and go traffic.

so this shouldn't happen if the car is tuned properly? the smell isn't because of the lack of cats?

I'm curious because I've been passing up deals for catless systems because of the smell. But I don't need them for emissions...so I'd rather just leave um off. But don't want the smell.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 PM
mattdracing
Racer

Originally Posted by zwaldo
loud as all get go! sounds great. makes me want to get some long tubes :/

Ok, so here is a question about the "smell"

on my last car, c5 i had full exhaust with no cats and vararram intake.

The previous owner put it on, and never tuned it..but the car would leave my cloths stinking like i was at the race track if i took it for a spin with the top off. especially if i was in stop and go traffic.

so this shouldn't happen if the car is tuned properly? the smell isn't because of the lack of cats?

I'm curious because I've been passing up deals for catless systems because of the smell. But I don't need them for emissions...so I'd rather just leave um off. But don't want the smell.
my LS3 has headers (no cats), intake, and tune. i can notice it if i let it warm up in the garage...but other than that i hardly ever notice the smell. But all my cars are catless (even my daily driver) and i also drive racecars...so im probably the wrong person to ask haha. but to answer your question...i doubt it would bother you. my girlfriend rides in my vette all the time and has never noticed the exhaust smell
Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 AM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattdracing
my LS3 has headers (no cats), intake, and tune. i can notice it if i let it warm up in the garage...but other than that i hardly ever notice the smell. But all my cars are catless (even my daily driver) and i also drive racecars...so im probably the wrong person to ask haha. but to answer your question...i doubt it would bother you. my girlfriend rides in my vette all the time and has never noticed the exhaust smell
well like I said, my last car was catless..and I noticed the smell. But if between 60-100 degrees..the top is usually off.

was curious if the smell was the fact that I was catless, or possibly that I was running rich since the car wasn't tuned, with ram air intake, full exhaust....

Get notified of new replies

To B&B Headers/Xpipe/QTP cutouts.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 AM
mattdracing
Racer

Originally Posted by zwaldo
well like I said, my last car was catless..and I noticed the smell. But if between 60-100 degrees..the top is usually off.

was curious if the smell was the fact that I was catless, or possibly that I was running rich since the car wasn't tuned, with ram air intake, full exhaust....
honestly, its mostly because you have no cats to reduce the emissions. the tune may help the smell some but not a whole lot. im just so use to it that i dont hardly notice it anymore even when i have the top off
Old 09-08-2012, 01:18 AM
michaelmyers
Instructor

Big tool - wow this is the same setup I want to do. It just seems as spending my cash on headers, x pipe, and cutouts would be better than getting a z06 or npp setup for my 06 a6. Where did you order your cutouts from? I'm in Los Angeles which sucks.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

how much did the cutouts cost you?

Quick Reply: B&B Headers/Xpipe/QTP cutouts.