C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper Wings Won't stay down

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:56 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by scotzz
LV2TOUR...........I went to the Culley site and it shows these part numbers for 2006 and newer............do you know what the part numbers are for a 2005?
The 2005 use the exact same part numbers for those. They did not change the design from 2005 to 2006.

For those that have replaced these and it still won't stay down, it is most likely the bottom edge of the indent that the locator sits in. I had to build my indent edge with epoxy to regain the leading edge, then the locator would lock in place, keeping the bumper flap down.
See the attached pic. Notice the bottom edge, and how it is getting worn.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-04-2016 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
topmop1 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 AM
silver_viper_tb
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I replaced my clips and still had the issue. I noticed the gap between the bumper cover and the fender was a bit excessive. I ended up pulling the bumper and adjusting the bar that the front bumper cover mounts to. This tightened the gap and allowed those clips to do their job properly. If the gap is too large those clips don't stand a chance. My issue started after a body shop replaced my front bumper cover FYI
The following users liked this post:
topmop1 (05-15-2018)
Old 06-01-2016, 11:48 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by C6topless
by any chance did you get the part number? my local dealership hires only people with IQs in the single digits and they cannot look it up to save their life..

apparently your just like them, you did 0 research on your own, otherwise you would have seen the other 10,000 posts on the subject.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:22 PM
DNAST1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 266 Likes on 130 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist (C8) - Modified
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist (C6) - Modified
2022 C8 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey guys I went and bought all new fasteners but still my problem is the larger fastener will not fit snug into the hole it goes in. Old and new one fits loose for some reason. So the "wing" pops right out after tightening:c razy:

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
If everything is as it should be I can't see any reason to glue down the front fascia.

Here is the condition we are talking about. There is a pair of fasteners under here that secure the corners of the fascia to the fender. You can see the edge is up if you look closely at the circled area.

This is what the pair of fasteners look like. The fascia slips over the larger one and the smaller round fastener with the ramp is what locks into a recess in the fascia to keep it down.

Here is the recess in the fascia that the ramped fastener locks into

Here is what the new fastener looks like. The bayonet end plugs into the fender

Here is what I found with my friend's car. As you can see the larger fastener is broken which doesn't retain the fascia so that the ramp won't lock into the indent.

To replace it all that I had to do was snip the flat plastic piece on the fastener off and the bayonet side fell away into the fender. The new fastener just pops in. You'll want to remove the ?7mm? bolts that hold the entire fascia under the hood across the middle.

Hope that made sense.

Last edited by DNAST1; 04-27-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:08 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Subscribing to this for later.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Denny79
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, useful thread. Thanks everyone!

Mine does not stay down. Will attempt this fix after I pick up the plastic connectors. Hopefully I will not need to remove the bumper completely.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Denny79
Instructor

I was replacing my broken bumper clip and the question came up. You can put it in either way: narrow ramp up or wide ramp up (not sure if I explain it right). If you look at the picture of the yellow vette above, it shows wide ramp pointing up. If you look at the red vette on the first page, it has narrow ramp pointing up. Which one is correct?
Old 10-22-2017, 01:19 PM
silver_viper_tb
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fly_low
I was replacing my broken bumper clip and the question came up. You can put it in either way: narrow ramp up or wide ramp up (not sure if I explain it right). If you look at the picture of the yellow vette above, it shows wide ramp pointing up. If you look at the red vette on the first page, it has narrow ramp pointing up. Which one is correct?
I did mine like the red corvette with no problems. Did it a couple of days ago.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:37 PM
Denny79
Instructor

Thanks! I did it in a similar way to the yellow vette (before I saw your reply). I looked at some pictures online and found more pictures done like the yellow vette. I think, it not really a big difference for this particular application.

So far, it looks solid - will see if it pops again in a few days.

By the way, using the wood chisel trick worked well for me. Trying to pull the broken piece out was not going very well but one hit with a chisel and it broke into pieces.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:40 PM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Resurrecting this discussion because I'm fed up with all previous Fixes. Some in early posts criticized and ridiculed the C6 design fundamentally. Perhaps they have chosen the incorrect Brand for their needs.
Suffice to say the design in this area is not and will not be adequate.
I made a Strap of aluminum channel, drilled holes (a) in the Steel bracket on the frame, and (b) the red fiberglass Tab under the edge of the Bumper upper surface.
This is a rather more permanent correction, IMHO. It was absolutely required that the Corners STAY DOWN when they are in such close proximity to my gorgeous new Morimoto headlights.

Last photo taken before the fix.

Last edited by vezePilot; 06-03-2021 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:34 AM
wagyank
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Recent video for replacing those clips

Old 07-19-2022, 05:04 PM
jonjoy
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by C6topless
by any chance did you get the part number? my local dealership hires only people with IQs in the single digits and they cannot look it up to save their life..

careful now, you don't seem to be able to use the computer to your benefit ether.

Quick Reply: Bumper Wings Won't stay down