C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surging after modding radiator shroud with stock intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 01:47 PM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old one. But I'm thinking of cutting the section out of my radiator shroud that they remove when installing a vette-air. I have the stock ls2 intake...so this mod would only be about getting cooler air into those filters during highway speeds.

Is there any value to this? Has anyone ever had surging with the stock LS2 intake system?

JT
Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 PM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm replying to my own question. But I'm looking for feedback.

So I cut the shroud between the two "ears" where the pins hold in on. It's double layered plastic and a bit a pain in the **** but it didn't take too long.

I got the idea from another post to use Torque to log my LTFT's and Intake temperature. So did.

Before I cut I made a 20 mile each way trip and saw a peak intake temp of 40'C with ambient temps around 20'C...this was during city driving.

I monitored the intake temp as I hit the highway and it took about 10 minutes for the intake temp to bottom out at +4'C above ambient.

I cut the 1 part of the shroud out and the other part bent it down. Did a quick 10 mile round trip and in the first 2 minutes saw temps as low as +3'C above ambient.

I then removed the rest of the plastic so there is a 6-7" X1" cut in the shroud now to permit airflow. Ran the same 10 mile circuit and saw temps get as low as +2'C above ambient (which is now up to 23'C)

So my questions are:

1. is +2'C above ambient good for intake temperatures?
2. My LTFT's are slightly different from side to side. Are usually around +1-3 and are within 5 points of each other always. Under driveline braking (downshifting) they go quite high say maybe +10-12. Very rarely are they negative. Are these within norms for a stock LS2?
3. Timing is around 30-33' during cruise at 75MPH and even with some hard pulls I've only seen the timinig go negative once. Does this mean anything?
4. I've had some acceleration pinging...which I attribute to the 11 year old plugs and wires and I've ordered replacements. However after this modification it seemed to eliminate all the pinging I was getting. Would the lower temps really eliminate this issue?
5. I seafoamed the car when I bought it 1000 miles ago...but noticed that the bottom of my intake is still pretty grungy and there is trace oil stuck in the ribs of the horrible stock accordion duct. Do I need to replace something in my PCV system or is this Normal?

Thanks in Advance guys.

PS...torque has a ton of functionality I didn't even know about.
Edit: PPS I had no surging or codes. The car actually runs much better even shifting smoother.

Last edited by JCamaro; 09-18-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Surging after modding radiator shroud with stock intake