C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 octane w/10% ethanol or 91 octane ethanol free?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:20 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I try and to never run ethanol in any of my cars. I run 91 octane 100% gas in the Vette.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:43 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the Dallas Tx area and the closest real gas I can get is 80 miles away. Given the choice I would not put ethanol of any amount in any of my engines. I have seen what it does to small engine fuel systems, the best thing to do turn the fuel off and run them completely dry after each use.
I travel a lot and when possible I always buy pure gas. My fuel mileage goes up 15% and I believe it is better for the car. Here is an website I use for locating real gas they also have an ap for your phone.

http://www.pure-gas.org/
Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1_E85_Corvette
well yeah! I run E85 on my stock car and MPG when down about 28% however, my 45whp gain thanks me every time I hit the throttle. I still get over 22+mpg on the highway. I didn't get my CORVETTE for gas mileage anyway

The only reason they put 15% gas in E85 so the red-necks wouldn't try to drink it (Moonshine anyone?)

The fastest race cars in the world use E85-100. Technology can handle a higher duty cycle in regards to injectors. It makes more power PERIOD.

Let me know if anyone wants to see my Dyno graph on a stock LS3 MN6
What's involved in the conversion? Do you have a sensor so that you can run anywhere from e85 to E0 and the fueling maps automatically adjust? Do you run stock injectors?

Yes, I'd like to see the dyno charts.

I don't think the power improvement is really 45hp over an engine that was already tuned. I think it's more like 20hp over a tuned engine when you set them up for Flexfuel usage. It's more gain in a forced induction car obviously.

They sell E85 across the street from my office for like a $1.50 right now. I'd love to be able to get a fill up that gains me a nice kick in the butt.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

And I don't believe that running E10 hurts anyone's mpg by 10-20% as people often claim. I mean, that would be less economy than if they didn't add the ethanol at all!

If Ethanol has 70% the BTUs of gasoline, and the ethanol is 10% of the total mix. That's a 3% drop in BTUs total. I don't think that is going to reduce mpg 20%!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:28 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
And I don't believe that running E10 hurts anyone's mpg by 10-20% as people often claim. I mean, that would be less economy than if they didn't add the ethanol at all!

If Ethanol has 70% the BTUs of gasoline, and the ethanol is 10% of the total mix. That's a 3% drop in BTUs total. I don't think that is going to reduce mpg 20%!
Exactly!
Sit alcohol out in a container and see what happens..... it evaporates. If you don't believe it cuts fuel mileage by 15 % try it before you you go doubting it. That along with the evaporation I certainly see a 15% increase when I have a chance to run real gas in my daily driver.
That coupled with the sediment and corrosion you will get from ethanol setting I would not run it in any of my cars if I had a choice.

Who thinks the fed gov makes logical in decisions? Ethanol was invented to subsidize farmers and politically to "reduce dependency" on foreign oil.
Same crap with solar panels, they are or were subsidized by a 30% tax credit, but ROI is more than 20 years including the tax credit and that is calculating at best efficiency which is not likely. Their output deteriorates over time at roughly 1% of the original output per year, so in 20 year you would get at best 80% of the output. Truly it is all about being green........ that means someone's pockets are being lined with green backs :-)
Old 09-16-2015, 09:59 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would love to hear where you think it evaporates to? Oh wait.. the charcoal canister? The fuel system is sealed assuming you haven't removed the evap system or left the fuel cap off

Oh yeah.. those fumes end up being BURNED as FUEL. They don't evaporate into never land

I have no idea whether there's truly a fuel mileage difference when using it or not, but evaporation sure as hell isn't the reason why if there is
Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I would love to hear where you think it evaporates to? Oh wait.. the charcoal canister? The fuel system is sealed assuming you haven't removed the evap system or left the fuel cap off

Oh yeah.. those fumes end up being BURNED as FUEL. They don't evaporate into never land

I have no idea whether there's truly a fuel mileage difference when using it or not, but evaporation sure as hell isn't the reason why if there is
If it don't actually evaporate into the air the vapor must be useless. I rather them leave the 10% out and sell me 9/10 gallon of real gas....... I can go farther. Can't explain the science of it, really don't care but I experience the effect every time I buy real gas.

Quick Reply: 93 octane w/10% ethanol or 91 octane ethanol free?