C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Introduces New C6 Touring, S-Type, ATAK Exhaust w/Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
0Kriggans
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrash
Any NPP valve options? Thanks ...
Hi Thrash, we don't currently offer valved exhaust systems, and have no immediate plans to do so.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 AM
0Kriggans
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by seung012
Hi all, is the new ATAK system louder then the B&B bullet????
Our new ATAK exhaust kit has a VERY aggressive sound, yet is still keeps the natural-engine-warmth sound without the "ticky rasp" at WOT. That said, we haven't heard our new ATAK placed side-by-side with our competitors' products yet. We'll have to wait and see at this year's Carlisle show!!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 PM
ditchmagnet
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by David Borla
We redesigned the old ATAK systems to completely eliminate interior resonance at all RPM's. The old ATAK mufflers used a similar body to the S-Type and the new ATAK mufflers are the ones you see above.

We will be replacing the old ATAK system with the new one so there will only be one part number for ATAK for C6.

However we will have 2 S-Type systems because we are keeping the old S-Type due to its popularity and are offering the new S-Type for the reasons Chris mentions above.

Thanks
man you suck,now i have too upgrade again..

Last edited by ditchmagnet; 08-21-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:54 PM
dimitri_92
Heel & Toe

Are the cars in the video equipped with axle or catback systems? If I opt for just the rear section will I notice a big difference in sound/performance? thx
Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Any dyno sheets available on the touring and s-type on the zr1?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Nate_M
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

or a base model even (Perhaps I missed them?)
Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM
BWM C6GS
Intermediate

I too am interested in the new S-Type for the LS3.

Possibly Borla engineers could provide a clear explanation of the differences between a cat back and an axle back system. What are the advantages, if any for a cat-back? Installation considerations? Performance? How does the X-pipe affect sound characteristics from the stanadard OEM installed H-pipe? How do sound levels, pitch or burble charateristics differ between the two?

Did the Bondurant video vettes have the stock H- or your X-pipe installed?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:13 PM
DHack
Intermediate

I'm interested in the ATAK system for my 06 and have the exact same questions. Could not have asked it better myself. Hopefully we can get some answers.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 PM
BWM C6GS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DHack
I'm interested in the ATAK system for my 06 and have the exact same questions. Could not have asked it better myself. Hopefully we can get some answers.
Been a week or two DHack, so guess we aren't gonna get a response from the experts. My email for related info on the Borla website didn't get a response either. Forum members reviews are at least useful. Sure would love to hear from Borla reps, but guess were on our own?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Have you tried calling them ?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:46 PM
BWM C6GS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Have you tried calling them ?
Nope. Besides being an expensive long distance phone call, I kinda thought my questions would be of general interest and relevant to not only me, but others on this forum? I appreciate engineering explanations on products such as these new designed Borla's. Also, this thread appeared to be and excellent resource and have David Borla's and Kris personal attention?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:54 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wonder if they will respond? am interested bu tthe questions you asked are very good and would be nice to hear the answers from the borla engineers...my main concern would be drone in the cabin on long trips...although i believe he had mentioned that drone is completely eliminated?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:01 PM
BWM C6GS
Intermediate

Since no response to this thread, I (twice) submitted questions to the "Contact Us" link on the borla.com website. Still no response. So, an email off to David Borla's address, appealing for contact in engineering or wherever. Nope. No response. Maybe phone best. Borla started this very useful, informative thread. Wish they had continued the dialogue to clean up loose ends from us forum members. Somebody else have a go and post if successful please. Also, watch the other similiar thread on these Borla's.

For what it's worth, a sponsor vendor I contacted promptly replied that the axle-back was certainly the most common version requested, and suggeted that version. Think I may know partly why. I inspected my 2010 GS manual and it has an OEM supplied X-pipe on my stock (non-NPP) system. Little doubt the NPP optioned C6's would also have the X-pipe? Not sure when or what versions they provide X-pipe's as stock though. Grab an extension mirror and slide under if unsure like I was I guess.

Based on my observation, I think we can safely assume the Bondurant/Borla video GS's had X-pipes. However, who's? Not sure if Borla would have swapped out the OEM's with the Borla offering. Wish Borla rep's replied, as possibly an improved X-design geometry or superior St-Stl. make it worth swappng stock X- for the full Borla cat-back system.

Much is written on X-pipes from various manufacturers. My understanding is they do (slightly) improve scavenging, smooth the flow and may mellow out tone a bit. However, is it worth it if no existing X-pipe? Maybe someone authoritive will clarify.

As for me, guess I'm on hold. Borla S-Type II's will are real pricey here in Canada. In my area, several C5-C6 Corsa Sports and a GM Performance system which I think is (looks like) the older Borla design. No new S-Type II's or Atak's in my (local) area that I'm aware of. Maybe by next spring some more feedback from others.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

X pipe became std when the OE exhaust system was changed in '09 I believe. That is why one only need order the axle back system.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 PM
BWM C6GS
Intermediate

Clarifies that point at least...thanks Mikey!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM
sla07
Melting Slicks

good info Mikey

so ultimately the axle-back would be my option...great sounding system...but does it eliminate drone completely in the cabin?...i run with the pulled fuse on my npp system...im curious to know how it sounds, in person, differently to my car with the npp fuse pulled...and what drone, if any, in comparison as with the fuse pulled it becomes rough with long trips at times...

Get notified of new replies

To Borla Introduces New C6 Touring, S-Type, ATAK Exhaust w/Video

Old 11-17-2011, 10:14 AM
sla07
Melting Slicks

forgot one last question...im assuming there are no true power gains from an axle back and its purely sound you are going after?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sla07
good info Mikey

so ultimately the axle-back would be my option...great sounding system...but does it eliminate drone completely in the cabin?...i run with the pulled fuse on my npp system...im curious to know how it sounds, in person, differently to my car with the npp fuse pulled...and what drone, if any, in comparison as with the fuse pulled it becomes rough with long trips at times...
As you have the NPP, buy a Mild2Wild system. It rocks. I love the way I can change the exhaust sound on the fly simply by pressing a button on the fob.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 PM
BWM C6GS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sla07
forgot one last question...im assuming there are no true power gains from an axle back and its purely sound you are going after?
I personally am after "sound". Aren't we all? Fortunately, that usually provides a welcome improvement in performance too. I find my vette is a really nice car to tour, cruise and play with, but, at most speeds, it doesnt communicate what the engine is doing very well. Especially true with my non-NPP system. I want to hear that beautifully engineered LS3, especially at start-up, idle and daily drives at normal legit speeds (of course?). And, little or no drone is really important to me. Like my iPod music too! That's where Corsa and hopefully the Borla S-Type II will perform. User's seem to suggest most other aftermarkets do drone somewhat.

On my non-NPP C6, I figure a few extra HP will be realized with the cat-back. As noted, already have the GM X-pipe. An extra 6 SAE rated HP are stated by GM with the NPP option (430 to 436 with NPP). Based on this, I assume that 6 HP, and possibly a few extra, as stated by Borla, would be a fair assumption. All due to less backpressure over my stock mufflers. NPP probably wouldnt see quite as much difference as they already free-flow at >3K rpm, or lower if fuse pulled. However, not a big deal for me either way. For now at least, I find 430HP is more than adequate for my driving habits and skill level. But if I go CAI, which I might later, the new cans are a necessity to realize the CAI potential anyway.

That's the way I see it....

Quick Reply: Borla Introduces New C6 Touring, S-Type, ATAK Exhaust w/Video