C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZO6 mufflers to 2.5" X-pipe

Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mracer
I think why Trbrokev got such high HP #"s was because of the addition of the tune. Full z06 exhaust I've read here is good for 20 HP, add another 20 for tune and your looking at 40HP total
ymmv
Mike
My car has been tuned several times, it all depends on your factory tune. I got "0" horsepower out of a tune alone, but my car dyno'd much higher stock than his. The final #s are similar though.

DJ
Old 09-02-2011, 02:42 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by DarthStimpy
I'm not sure who told you this, but the LS2 port will not fit entirely within the LS7 port, they will be about 20% blocked.

And just for clarification, i have PERSONALLY done this. I have put a LS7 manifold onto my LS2 and seen first hand that the port is blocked.
See post #21 and look at the 5th pic from the top.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...006-ls2-2.html
Old 09-02-2011, 05:37 AM
COVERT GUY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darthsimpy, you got super schooled - illustrations and all.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:49 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

RedDog382,

To get an honest answer on your questions there are a few things that have to be asked about your car.

1. Is it a coupe or convertible
2. Is it a stick or auto

It makes a difference as to the over Axel configuration of your car.

3 inch pipes will not fit without major mod's on a auto (epically with paddle shift). You can get them in (with a fight) but when you try to put the car in gear the car it will hang up.

The easiest way to do this if you have a stick is to do the whole Z06 from front to back. If not or if you have an auto is to take the Z06 mufflers and cut the pipes off where they neck down to 2.5 and have them welded on to your existing pipes. This works well, I have this on my 07 vert with A6 paddle-shift. Then install the Mild To Wild in a box kit and use the vacuum tap that is built into the manifold (in the back by the brake booster). This is the factory location for the vacuum tap. It is a great mod to your car.

If you do a search there a lot of post about this. I have done this mod to my car and one other.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 PM
RedDog382
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 04VaVette
RedDog382,

To get an honest answer on your questions there are a few things that have to be asked about your car.

1. Is it a coupe or convertible
2. Is it a stick or auto

It makes a difference as to the over Axel configuration of your car.

3 inch pipes will not fit without major mod's on a auto (epically with paddle shift). You can get them in (with a fight) but when you try to put the car in gear the car it will hang up.
Thanks for the input. It is a manual coupe. Haven't had time to crawl underneath and look at clearances yet. Would like to keep the ZO6 3" over axle intact if at all possible (knowing it would not neccessarily make a significant performance difference).
Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 AM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by COVERT GUY
Darthsimpy, you got super schooled - illustrations and all.
the physical opening of the FLANGE is smaller than the gasket, thats how gaskets work.

run it for 1000 miles and take them back off. you will see that there is a nice carbon deposit on the flange in the shape of the opening, with the bottom 20% being blocked.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:54 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by DarthStimpy
the physical opening of the FLANGE is smaller than the gasket, thats how gaskets work.

run it for 1000 miles and take them back off. you will see that there is a nice carbon deposit on the flange in the shape of the opening, with the bottom 20% being blocked.
Take a look at pic #2 on that same post. See the carbon deposit on the head that remained from the original manifold.

Yes, that's exactly how gaskets work. They are slightly larger than the mating surfaces and in the case of exhaust gaskets, they allow carbon buildup in the gap they create.

If you still have doubts that there is blockage, then compare the size of the carbon ring on the Z06 manifolds in post #3 (pic 2), to the space available in pic 5 on post #21.

The Z06 gasket is larger than the LS2 gasket, which is why you see a larger carbon deposit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZO6 mufflers to 2.5" X-pipe