C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loosened mid pipe clamps, re-tightened, sounds like crap

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 10:20 AM
06BlackCherry
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Loosened mid pipe clamps, re-tightened, sounds like crap

In true DIY fashion, I solved one problem by creating another. Long story short, I loosened the clamps front and rear to the mid-pipes in order to reach the shifter cable to install a new bushing. I never dropped the mid-pipe and didn't even take the bolts out of the front. When I was done, I put the nuts back on the front connections and tightened everything down (or so I thought). I did a quick test drive to make sure the shifter worked correctly (it did) and the first thing I noticed was "hmmm...she sounds 'different'". I thought maybe it was just me, but my wife got in it drive it and the first thing she said was "that doesn't sound right!"

Anyone know if there's a crush gasket or similar between the mid-pipes and the cats that's one time use only and possibly needs to be replaced or is it more likely I just didn't get everything reseated correctly?
Old 05-16-2023, 10:45 AM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Try to redo the front bolts. Tighten, shake/wiggle the pipe, tighten further. They can be really hard to tighten. If that doesn't work, you can replace the donuts. Not expensive.
The following users liked this post:
06BlackCherry (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 01:33 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

If it’s factory exhaust, there is a donut gasket after the cats and before the midpipe.
The following users liked this post:
06BlackCherry (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 11:35 AM
06BlackCherry
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chatman
Try to redo the front bolts. Tighten, shake/wiggle the pipe, tighten further. They can be really hard to tighten. If that doesn't work, you can replace the donuts. Not expensive.
Yeah, those sumbitches were hard to tighten, but I ultimately got em. Here's to doing the right thing the wrong way

Get notified of new replies

To Loosened mid pipe clamps, re-tightened, sounds like crap

Quick Reply: Loosened mid pipe clamps, re-tightened, sounds like crap