C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Z06 Exhaust Install and Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 PM
1fastbob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Z06 Exhaust Install and Review

I have just finished installing an exhaust from a 2008 Z06 to my 2006 C6 3LT Manual Coupe. Exhaust was complete from manifolds to mufflers and everything in between. I started this install yesterday morning and just finished this morning. I would guess it took 6 hours or so in labor and I did it myself with no help (I am 57 and I am getting too old for this crap so I took several long breaks). I used my MaxJax 2 post short lift and common hand tools to do this install. Every thing bolted up just fine. I used LS7 manifold to cylinder gaskets and new cat to manifold gaskets. Worst part of the install was dealing with the O2 sensor wiring as it is a pain to unplug and re-plug the rear sensors due to lack of room. The dreaded oil dipstick tube removal was easy and did not cause any problems. This install added 21 pounds to the car (I weighed each part).

Currently the exhaust does NOT have any vacuum connected to the flapper valves and it sounds pretty good at idle. I did NOT do the muffler mod as I don't want it to be loud, just looking for a little sound.

So, how does it sound while driving? It drones like HELL! At 1500 rpm which is 70 mph it is deafening. I will certainly be doing the mild to wild vacuum switch thing in the near future. Also at full throttle it is not noisy at all as well as pretty quiet above 2000 rpm. My butt dyno says it might be a little quicker, but not much. Fuel mileage might be improved also according to my quick test drive this morning. When shutting of the engine with the exhaust cooling it pops pings and dings more than any exhaust I have ever heard. This may get better after a few heat cycles, but it is harmless.

Just a few suggestions if you are planning on doing this install. Get front O2 sensor extensions (12" long) and do NOT strip back the wiring harness to make the front O2 wires longer. It's just stupid to do that hack job. The rear O2 wires are long enough, but a 12" extension there would be helpful as well. You will need an O2 sensor socket to remove the front sensors (7/8" special socket required)and I was able to remove the rear sensors with a combination wrench. I did not remove the O2 sensors until after I had the manifolds and cats out of the car.

Would I do this again? Probably not. Spending $900 on the exhaust and $100 on bolts, nuts and gaskets was maybe not worth the outcome. Thanks to tankerpilot01 for making me a great deal on the exhaust parts and special thanks to Kevin at Parts Taxi for promptly sending me the correct parts (gaskets and bolts and nuts) at a great price. I tried one of the other GM vendors that is popular on this forum, but after waiting for 7 hours for them to call me back I gave up and called Kevin (they did call 7 1/2 hours after I left a message). Took all of 3 minutes to look up the parts, give me a price and take my credit card info.

If you have questions about this install send me a PM or ask here.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited by 1fastbob; 09-25-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thinking about doing this MOD to my 2011 Grand Sport. Thanks for the great write up.

I have access to some take off ZO6 manifolds.

Take some pictures of the finished project.

Thanks

Bill
Old 09-25-2011, 01:01 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I did this on my 08' with modded mufflers and didn't think the drone was bad at all. Everyone has there own tolerance of how much drone they can take.
The modded ones really aren't that loud, they do sound better than the non modded ones IMO. I think once you hook up the vacuum actuators you will see your drone go away.

I had mine ceramic coated at sandersons and it looks pretty good. I did this and a EE tunnel plate with ceramic coating and the thermal blanket to help reduce the interior heat at the same time. According to a cheap ir temp probe it did help.

Are you going to get it tuned?

DJ
Old 09-25-2011, 01:29 PM
1fastbob
Racer

Originally Posted by djbrun
I did this on my 08' with modded mufflers and didn't think the drone was bad at all. Everyone has there own tolerance of how much drone they can take.
The modded ones really aren't that loud, they do sound better than the non modded ones IMO. I think once you hook up the vacuum actuators you will see your drone go away.

I had mine ceramic coated at sandersons and it looks pretty good. I did this and a EE tunnel plate with ceramic coating and the thermal blanket to help reduce the interior heat at the same time. According to a cheap ir temp probe it did help.

Are you going to get it tuned?

DJ
The drone is really bad, it might be better on a modded muffler or it might not. Might get it tuned later after a polished throttle body later on.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What is this modded muffler that your doing?

BC
Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
1fastbob
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
What is this modded muffler that your doing?

BC
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-of-sorts.html The link is a mod for the Z06 mufflers. May or may not do it.

Bob
Old 09-25-2011, 06:27 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I'd sooner think the drone is the result of the mufflers than anything before them. I've done the same swap but with A/M muffs and didn't have a drone problem.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 PM
1fastbob
Racer

Originally Posted by glenB
I'd sooner think the drone is the result of the mufflers than anything before them. I've done the same swap but with A/M muffs and didn't have a drone problem.
I agree 100% and certainly with the "mild to wild" switch drone can be gone at the flip of a switch. The larger exhaust tips look much better also.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:34 AM
1 C6 2NV
Myth Buster
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too installed the Z muffs on my heavily modded c6. The drone at 1500 was crazy. I pinned the cutouts closed and it was gone. Nice and quiet. I have since then aquired the entire vac system from a Z and will be doing the muff mod as well. Ill have to hard wire my own switch though, everything else goes right in
Old 06-01-2014, 12:32 PM
mfoti
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive an old thread but curios if the Z06 mufflers are louder than the stock LS2 mufflers when valve is closed? I want a little louder mufflers but from what i read the Z06 mufflers drone. Just curious how they are closed? Is it worth the upgrade? I have a cam/ long tubes headers.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 Z06 Exhaust Install and Review

Quick Reply: LS2 Z06 Exhaust Install and Review