C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure with WCC lowering bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:16 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Failure with WCC lowering bolts

I purchased these bolts about 3 months ago, and installed them exactly as directed, lubed them an everything. Started to noticed a creeking from the rear. I lifted the car up and found the rear bushing of the lowering bolts barely hanging on. I picked up a front and rear set of the zip lowering bolts asap after I found out that I wouldn't be refunded (awesome customer service). Anyway. I removed the front and rear lowering bolts, and replace them with zip bolts and cushions - fantastic customer service btw A+. Here's a couple photos of the front and rear bolts. Rear bolts show total failure, and the fronts are starting to rub through already.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

I expect that the Zip units won't last a hell of a lot longer. The abuse that those little things take, combined with design+material that's clearly not up to the job, means failure is inevitable (and sooner rather than later.)

Been there, done that with my wife's C6. We started with WCC bolts. The rears lasted four days. Changed to Eibach. They lasted about 6 months. We finally bit the bullet and went with Pfadt coilovers. Yeah, it's a lot more money but the problem goes away completely and the car can be lowered/raised/adjusted as you like.

Just think of each corner's little rubber bit being hammered by 800+ pounds of car every time you hit a bump. Think those things are going to last under that assault? Heck, I'm impressed that they last as long as they do.

Z//
Old 10-08-2011, 05:09 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

I couldnt agree more. I'm one of the many that bought into the idea that some have had these things installed for 6 years now with no issues... I dunno.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hangtime204
I couldnt agree more. I'm one of the many that bought into the idea that some have had these things installed for 6 years now with no issues... I dunno.
Yeah, I have wondered about that, too. Of course, a lot of folks have Corvettes and tippy-toe them out of the garage once a month on Sunday if/when the weather is perfect and then say "my car has given me no trouble at all but I did come within 10 feet of a big, scary rock once so I stopped right there and waxed that side of the car once again just to be sure!"

Using the forum to gauge reality is a seriously iffy business.

Z//
Old 10-08-2011, 06:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

this isn't the first time we've seen this, and probably not the last. XO makes some good points.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
this isn't the first time we've seen this, and probably not the last. XO makes some good points.
Sorry, I don't follow your post.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:33 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sorry, I don't follow your post.
The WCC lowering bolts are notoriously poor and they don't stand behind them. One of those products you'll never purchase if you're well-read on this forum.

San
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

what he said....^

I was trying to be too roundabout and got lost in the traffic circle..
Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That's too bad.

At least it's a good heads up for those looking to purchase lowering bolts. Stay away from these
Old 10-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

The only bolts that stand a chance in that environment are the Hardbar bolts. But they have zero cushioning on them so, while they last longer, they also ride like a freight car.

If you can't go low enough with the stock bolts to make you happy you're either going to go into "bolt hell", cut the stock ones down (knowing that replacing them will cost you a full set of springs since you can't buy the bolts seperately - approx $300 each at today's prices) or go with coil overs ($$$.)

Nothing's simple any more.

Z//
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
That's too bad.

At least it's a good heads up for those looking to purchase lowering bolts. Stay away from these
Ya, that's exactly why I made this thread. And considering the other WCC thread was closed, I figured I'd make one addressing the obvious when manufacturer won't.

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
The only bolts that stand a chance in that environment are the Hardbar bolts. But they have zero cushioning on them so, while they last longer, they also ride like a freight car.

If you can't go low enough with the stock bolts to make you happy you're either going to go into "bolt hell", cut the stock ones down (knowing that replacing them will cost you a full set of springs since you can't buy the bolts seperately - approx $300 each at today's prices) or go with coil overs ($$$.)

Nothing's simple any more.

Z//
Amen brother. If these don't work out, ill just reinstall the stock bolts and lower the car as much as possible. Can't justify spending $2000 for an aesthetic.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

I figured I'd make one addressing the obvious when manufacturer won't.
Well, WCC isn't the manufacturer but you do have to wonder why a Corvette parts seller - one with a supposed good reputation - would continue selling something they *have* to know by now is junk and costs their customers a ton of aggravation and disappointment while sullying their own reputation. An odd business model, IMO. Caveat Emptor, indeed.

Z//
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

Well, WCC isn't the manufacturer but you do have to wonder why a Corvette parts seller - one with a supposed good reputation - would continue selling something they *have* to know by now is junk and costs their customers a ton of aggravation and disappointment while sullying their own reputation. An odd business model, IMO. Caveat Emptor, indeed.

Z//
Couldn't agree more. It's when there's an obvious issue with the quality in which these bolts are being made, and nothing is being done about it. Not to mention the poor customer service from the vendor which stands behind them. They're just as bad. Whatever. If I can save a few people from making the same mistake I did, job well done.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:01 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I fixed mine with coilovers.

The only good ones I have seen are the Hardbar ones.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:37 PM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't buy the hardbar, they are junk and noisy as hell.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

****. I'd at least install them if they lasted. A slightly harsher ride is almost a sad tradeoff for a lowering bolt that will last more than a few months.

Last edited by hangtime204; 10-09-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

The Hardbar parts are really meant (a) for race cars and (b) to be replaced fairly regularly. To criticize them based upon their use in street cars is unfair. They're not meant for that and it shows. False expectations and all that.

Z//

Get notified of new replies

To Failure with WCC lowering bolts

Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 PM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Hardbar parts are really meant (a) for race cars and (b) to be replaced fairly regularly. To criticize them based upon their use in street cars is unfair. They're not meant for that and it shows. False expectations and all that.

Z//
Incorrect. Gary himself said they were a great choice for the street and would outlast the competition due to the Delrin material.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KevinZ51C6
Incorrect. Gary himself said they were a great choice for the street and would outlast the competition due to the Delrin material.
"said" is not necessarily equal to "truth" no matter who is speaking.

Z//
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

Originally Posted by KevinZ51C6
Again, prime example of manufacturers saying they're product outperforms others. When I reality its no better.

Quick Reply: Failure with WCC lowering bolts