C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX headers, O2 sensors, CEL error question, not who makes the best headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Some strict states that have visual inspection will ding you for "placement". The fact that you move the Cats away from the heat source decreases the efficiency of the Cats and thus is a "failure" on some inspections. Even though you put the Cats in the system, they will fail the inspection. Just saying...

Elmer
Old 11-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
I've also read from numerous members that they get a strong gas smell from the exhaust if the cat's are removed...some say it stinks up their garage.

I'm getting ready to install my B&B long tubes on my Z06, and will be running the cat-less OEM ZR1 x-pipe on my car.
It'll be interesting to see/smell what the exhaust does on my car, but eventually, I plan on switching to E85.

Even with cats, you'll smell the exhaust. OP, I'd be dubious that any headers are going to pass a sniffer test...if you have those. The high flow cats don't do much to stop the smell in my experience.

95% of the time, headers set a CEL for p0435 and p0436 test, cat inefficiency code. When you tune you turn that code off. That code, unless you turn it off, will fail a plug-in emissions test.

The cats do look like cats so with luck you can pass visual. I don't know Netherland laws but my friend in Sweden has to cap his cutouts and take his supercharger off each year for inspection.

OP if your rules are very strict, you can get very close to header results with c6Z06 exhaust, and usually cheaper than headers. Those would pass emissions everywhere I would imagine - takes a very trained eye to see the difference, and I don't think you'd need a tune.

I have to say - for those speaking bad about Bill Curlee...please take a look at that man's posts and threads he's started in the last 10 years. He is one of the most valued members of this forum for all the help and thankless time he's given to all of us. My hat is off to you bill!

Last edited by Joe_G; 11-15-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 AM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Even with cats, you'll smell the exhaust. OP, I'd be dubious that any headers are going to pass a sniffer test...if you have those. The high flow cats don't do much to stop the smell in my experience.

95% of the time, headers set a CEL for p0435 and p0436 test, cat inefficiency code. When you tune you turn that code off. That code, unless you turn it off, will fail a plug-in emissions test.

The cats do look like cats so with luck you can pass visual. I don't know Netherland laws but my friend in Sweden has to cap his cutouts and take his supercharger off each year for inspection.

OP if your rules are very strict, you can get very close to header results with c6Z06 exhaust, and usually cheaper than headers. Those would pass emissions everywhere I would imagine - takes a very trained eye to see the difference, and I don't think you'd need a tune.

I have to say - for those speaking bad about Bill Curlee...please take a look at that man's posts and threads he's started in the last 10 years. He is one of the most valued members of this forum for all the help and thankless time he's given to all of us. My hat is off to you bill!
At the moment I have a full ZO6 exhaust installed, headers to bi-mode mufflers. They make more power compared to the standard LS2 system, however real headers make even more power. And not to mention the sound is awesome. When I drive my friends C6 with headers it always strikes me how freely the engine revs. It's addictive to drive that car, the sound and how the engine responds to the throttle. So I decided I would buy a set of headers that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, OBX springs to mind.

A few questions remain:

From what I have read they only have one setup for the C6 and the C6 ZO6, correct ?

Can I assume that the only difference is the X-pipe ?

The O2 extension wires for the front and the rear, how should I buy them ?

Because of my bi-mode ZO6 mufflers the connecting X-pipe would be that for a ZO6.

I have a bit more research to do and then I'm going to buy me a set, can't wait.

Thank you all for taking the time to explain a few things to me.

Fred
Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I bought my 02 extensions from Casper electronics but they are a little more expensive than something you will find on ebay. They do use OEM connectors and wiring though and I didn't want any possibility of wiring issues with something as important as the 02s. You don't need the rear 02 extensions as you can just leave those sensors off the car since they will be turned off when it gets tuned. Just make sure you have 2 02 plugs though as the x-pipe you get will have provisions for the rear 02s.

I have my rear 02s plugged in for now, but will be adding a wideband here in the next month or so when I get my HPTuners. One of the rear sensors will come out and be replaced with the WB02.

I believe the only difference in the 2 kits is the x-pipe as the headers themselves are the same. The x-pipes are 2.5" versus 3" but everything else should be the same.

I did a ton of research before making my purchase and I'm very happy with the OBX. You will need to replace the hardware though as that seems to be their only downfall. I spent an additional $75 on new bolts and clamps as the ones in the kit were rusted and downright terrible.

OBX headers/x pipe: $620 shipped
02 extensions: $52 ($26 each, 36" in length)
Hardware/clamps: $75
New OEM gaskets: $25

Total cost: $775
Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

I run catless headers that have the four o2 sensor connections. I used anti-plug foulers (directions on net or purchase from e-bay) and have over 1000+ miles so far without a light and the rear sensors have never been turned off or the battery disconnected. The people who sell the foulers say it fixes the problem and so far I have to agree. I however made my own from net directions.

Total cost= approx. $10

I also unwrapped (than re-wrapped) the o2 wire loom to break out the front sensor plugs and as a result did not have to buy front extensions and I think it made for a cleaner set-up.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 11-17-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Man
I run catless headers that have the four o2 sensor connections. I used anti-plug foulers (directions on net or purchase from e-bay) and have over 1000+ miles so far without a light and the rear sensors have never been turned off or the battery disconnected. The people who sell the foulers say it fixes the problem and so far I have to agree. I however made my own from net directions.

Total cost= approx. $10

I also unwrapped (than re-wrapped) the o2 wire loom to break out the front sensor plugs and as a result did not have to buy front extensions and I think it made for a cleaner set-up.
This is interesting - what are anti-plug foulers? How do you install them?

I recall some old school items you would place on your spark plugs when your engine was worn out to keep them from fouling from oil..you're not talking about these though I'm thinking!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:31 PM
fred_S
Pro

Total cost= approx. $10

This sure sounds interesting, a quick search came up with this result.

http://www.b15u.com/sentra-specific-...or-spacer.html

And this explanation
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...ouler-how.html

Last edited by fred_S; 11-17-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: found new information
Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM
fred_S
Pro

What do you guys think, is there enough room to install two of these anti-plug foulers on each pipe ?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

This is interesting - what are anti-plug foulers? How do you install them?

I recall some old school items you would place on your spark plugs when your engine was worn out to keep them from fouling from oil..you're not talking about these though I'm thinking!
Yes thats what I'm talking about, I thought it was funny too but its working fine so far. There is also an electronic way too but I chose the mechanical way. Check the net for directions or e-bay for already made up ones, straight or angled as required. I bought the anti-plug foulers at Advanced Auto I believe but you can get them elsewhere. You will need to buy four to make up what you will need for the two sensors if you decide to make your own. The ones sold on e-bay, Amazon are guaranteed to work.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:49 PM
fred_S
Pro

Yes thats what I'm talking about, I thought it was funny too but its working fine so far. There is also an electronic way too but I chose the mechanical way. Check the net for directions or e-bay for already made up ones, straight or angled as required. I bought the anti-plug foulers at Advanced Auto I believe but you can get them elsewhere. You will need to buy four to make up what you will need for the two sensors if you decide to make your own. The ones sold on e-bay, Amazon are guaranteed to work.
I read a lot on this forum, and have never read this before, if there's enough room to put two on each pipe, it's a brilliant solution
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Now that's the ticket and they sell angled ones on e-bay if needed.
Originally Posted by fred_S
This sure sounds interesting, a quick search came up with this result.

http://www.b15u.com/sentra-specific-...or-spacer.html

And this explanation
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...ouler-how.html

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 11-17-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle....I would have never thought that would work!

Learn something new every day. Keep us posted on how it works!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 AM
fred_S
Pro

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle....I would have never thought that would work!

Learn something new every day. Keep us posted on how it works!
Because of the available space, when memory serves right it wasn't that much, I'm going to order two angled ones. The angled ones can be rotated in any direction that has the most space available. This is why this forum is so great, you learn something new every time

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/angled-cel-fix.html

Fred
Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
WUTITIS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumbs Up for OBX Headers

I have been reading all of the threads about the C 5 OBX headers. I just want to give my two cents worth on the subject. This past week we installed a new set of OBX long tube headers on my 2001 C5. They fit perfect. So it may be that in the past there were some fitment issues. Not now. These headers are as good as any I've seen. So save some money for other things like a Supercharger. Which is next on my list. So wrap your *** in fiberglass and have a blast!
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 PM
ricksright69
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JUIC3D
That's a bummer about the visual inspection. New Mexico required inspections/smog tests every year but I knew a guy, who knew a guy, who would give you a printout of 'your car' on the sniffer for $50 and a 6 pack.

WHAT??? I live in New Mexico and have 3 vehicles a 2005 Mercedes SL500, 2002 Corvette and an 2008 2500HD GMC and I can tell you for a FACT ZERO inspections/smog tests are required......Period!
Old 01-14-2019, 07:01 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

maybe a lot has changed in the 8 years since this thread was active?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:28 PM
ricksright69
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've lived here in southern New Mexico since 1992 and New Mexico has never in all this time had smog checks. The City of Albuquerque, in Bernalillo County, New Mexico on the other hand to my knowledge is the ONLY place in New Mexico that does. It is NOT a state wide requirement.

Quick Reply: OBX headers, O2 sensors, CEL error question, not who makes the best headers