C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX headers, O2 sensors, CEL error question, not who makes the best headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 AM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default OBX headers, O2 sensors, CEL error question, not who makes the best headers

I'm thinking of buying a set of OBX headers.

This is not a thread about which company makes better headers, just a few questions about the OBX headers.

I know that you get CEL errors with most headers from reading on the forum.

What I have heard so far is that the CEL errors come from not having 4 O2 sensors in the exhaust, correct ?

The OBX system for the Z06, has 4 locations to put O2 sensors, the same as the normal exhaust system.

(I drive a 2005 C6, but have ZO6 bi-mode mufflers, that's why the ZO6 system)

Would that mean that with the OBX system you don't get CEL errors which would have to be tuned out ?

For the installation, how long would the O2 extension wires need to be for the front and the rear.

Any OBX owners or people that have done this install before, please advice.

Fred
Old 11-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not the number of sensors that is the issue, but their location. The sensors need to heat up and start sending a signal back to the computer in a set amount of time, with any brand of headers, the rear sensors are moved farther downstream and it takes them longer to heat up. The time stamp is exceeded and you get a CEL. This can be avoided by turning off the rear sensors in the tune.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 AM
fred_S
Pro

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
It is not the number of sensors that is the issue, but their location. The sensors need to heat up and start sending a signal back to the computer in a set amount of time, with any brand of headers, the rear sensors are moved farther downstream and it takes them longer to heat up. The time stamp is exceeded and you get a CEL. This can be avoided by turning off the rear sensors in the tune.
Thank you for your explanation, this makes sense Do you set a new time stamp in the tune, or program them out completely. If you program them out completely you don't have to install them and could do with a bolt to plug the O2 hole. What do people usually do ?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

FRED

I installed a set of XS Power headers on my 06 MN6 Coupe on four jack stands in my drive way.

I was extremely happy with fit finish and performance. They bolt in from the under side of the car without ANY grunt! I can do a complete install in less than 3 hours. It will take you an afternoon the first time you do it!

Here are a few Pict's for you:

When you install the headers,, you will need a tune. The engine will run rich and you will see a drop in fuel efficiency. I DO NOT have any CELs with my header install!!!! NONE! I installed all four O2 sensors. I also installed a C6 VARARAM and ported Throttle Body the same time.

I had Corvettes Of Westchester tune the car with OUTSTANDING results!! My performance, throttle response and fuel mileage ALL increased!!!!

Contact SUPERMAN09 if you interested in the XS Power headers.

Bill
Old 11-13-2011, 10:32 AM
fred_S
Pro

@Bill
I looked them up on the Internet and they look alright. I haven't seen or read much about XS Power headers, I will look into them as a possible alternative to OBX.
I do need a version that will bolt straight onto a pair of ZO6 bi-mode mufflers, don't want to miss the valves, I presume they sell these ?

I will contact SUPERMAN09 and see what he can do for me.

thanks,

Fred
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Interesting to see the XS Power system... looks like a copy of the American Racing headers...
Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
FRED

I installed a set of XS Power headers on my 06 MN6 Coupe on four jack stands in my drive way.

I was extremely happy with fit finish and performance. They bolt in from the under side of the car without ANY grunt! I can do a complete install in less than 3 hours. It will take you an afternoon the first time you do it!

When you install the headers,, you will need a tune. The engine will run rich and you will see a drop in fuel efficiency. I DO NOT have any CELs with my header install!!!! NONE! I installed all four O2 sensors. I also installed a C6 VARARAM and ported Throttle Body the same time.

I had Corvettes Of Westchester tune the car with OUTSTANDING results!! My performance, throttle response and fuel mileage ALL increased!!!!

Contact SUPERMAN09 if you interested in the XS Power headers.

Bill
Of course you don't have any CEL's, that was taken care of with the tune you got from COW. In fact, I really don't see where your post contibuted to this thread at all. Just bragging that you installed headers. Woop t do!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Of course you don't have any CEL's, that was taken care of with the tune you got from COW. In fact, I really don't see where your post contibuted to this thread at all. Just bragging that you installed headers. Woop t do!
Where the HELL did that come from??????????????

Ok Swift guy. I ran the car 9 MONTHS WITHOUT Chucks tune!

NO Issues,, NO CELLS!! The car ran fine, had more power but was rich as hell and I lost some of my fuel efficiency. After the tune,, The Rear 02 sensors are still in place and NOT TUNED OUT!!! I have NO issues with them.

Fred was concerned about rear 02 CELs. I reported that I DID NOT HAVE ANY CELs for the initial install.

I also provided:

You can do the job in your dive way with hand tools. I Provided info on what to expect from a header install. Recommended that he gets the car tuned! I gave him another LOW COST quality Header option! What other friggen info do YOU expect that I should have provided?????

WHAT have "YOU" contributed to this post other than NOTHING???

FRED
Was my contribution to you post worth while. If not,, I'm sorry!!

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (01-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2011, 01:40 AM
fred_S
Pro

Guys please don't fight about my posting. I contacted SUPERMAN09 like Bill suggested and he had interesting news, which I'm not sure I'm allowed to post here. Bill his post did bring to my attention interesting news, so for me it was worth while.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bill Curlee,

Excellent info and pics.!

Getting close to putting headers on my '09. I have just about decided on ARH, but i am going to check a bit further on these XS headers.

Great job!

Bob
Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by fred_S
Guys please don't fight about my posting. I contacted SUPERMAN09 like Bill suggested and he had interesting news, which I'm not sure I'm allowed to post here. Bill his post did bring to my attention interesting news, so for me it was worth while.
My ONLY intension was / is to help you get the most out of your dollar and make your job easier! Glad to help!! Thats my only benifit.. Glad it helped you.

Bill
Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You only need the front 02 sensors (you will need extensions). The rear, even if installed, will set off the light until it's tuned out.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Where the HELL did that come from??????????????

Ok Swift guy. I ran the car 9 MONTHS WITHOUT Chucks tune!

NO Issues,, NO CELLS!! The car ran fine, had more power but was rich as hell and I lost some of my fuel efficiency. After the tune,, The Rear 02 sensors are still in place and NOT TUNED OUT!!! I have NO issues with them.

Fred was concerned about rear 02 CELs. I reported that I DID NOT HAVE ANY CELs for the initial install.

I also provided:

You can do the job in your dive way with hand tools. I Provided info on what to expect from a header install. Recommended that he gets the car tuned! I gave him another LOW COST quality Header option! What other friggen info do YOU expect that I should have provided?????
Well, you answered a lot of questions that weren't asked and posted a lot of pictures that cluttered up the thread and never actually posted anything related to the original post.

I'm glad you opted for a non-mainstream brand of headers, but we didn't need to see so many pictures of them in a thread about OBX headers.

It didn't bother me much, just explaining where I think "swift guy" (cute attempt at polite rudeness, btw ) was coming from.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I was under the impression that the ONLY purpose of the rear 02s is to measure catalytic efficiency, and as a result, the front 02s should have a different reading than the rear 02s IF you have cats.

If you opt for the off-road x-pipe, the CEL will illuminate because the rear 02 readings are identical to the front, which the computer interprets as the cats not functioning correctly.

I have OBX headers in my car with a catless x-pipe and drove around without a tune for about 6-8 weeks. In fact, I had the car dyno'ed with just the headers, intake, and throttle body, before installing the cam and it made 421whp and 398 tq. The A/F was all over the place though but the car ran just fine with the CEL.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
fred_S
Pro

Originally Posted by Justinjor
I was under the impression that the ONLY purpose of the rear 02s is to measure catalytic efficiency, and as a result, the front 02s should have a different reading than the rear 02s IF you have cats.

If you opt for the off-road x-pipe, the CEL will illuminate because the rear 02 readings are identical to the front, which the computer interprets as the cats not functioning correctly.

I have OBX headers in my car with a catless x-pipe and drove around without a tune for about 6-8 weeks. In fact, I had the car dyno'ed with just the headers, intake, and throttle body, before installing the cam and it made 421whp and 398 tq. The A/F was all over the place though but the car ran just fine with the CEL.
I have to run cats, if not my car won't pass inspection. Your results with the OBX headers are very nice.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to run cats, if not my car won't pass inspection. Your results with the OBX headers are very nice.
Where are you located? They actual do visual inspection for the cats or do they hook you up to the sniffer?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

That's a bummer about the visual inspection. New Mexico required inspections/smog tests every year but I knew a guy, who knew a guy, who would give you a printout of 'your car' on the sniffer for $50 and a 6 pack.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 AM
fred_S
Pro

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Where are you located? They actual do visual inspection for the cats or do they hook you up to the sniffer?
The Netherlands, during inspection you car has to pass emissions testing equipment, and they make sure you actually have cats installed. Everything to save the planet, and to make sure the government gets loads of money

Get notified of new replies

To OBX headers, O2 sensors, CEL error question, not who makes the best headers

Old 11-14-2011, 11:10 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

The Netherlands, during inspection you car has to pass emissions testing equipment, and they make sure you actually have cats installed. Everything to save the planet, and to make sure the government gets loads of money
I've also read from numerous members that they get a strong gas smell from the exhaust if the cat's are removed...some say it stinks up their garage.

I'm getting ready to install my B&B long tubes on my Z06, and will be running the cat-less OEM ZR1 x-pipe on my car.
It'll be interesting to see/smell what the exhaust does on my car, but eventually, I plan on switching to E85.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

The gas smell is noticeable, but it doesn't bother me. The only time I really notice it is after driving it hard, and pulling up to a stop light.

My wife has a picky nose and she rarely comments on it, so I don't think it's that bad. It was much worse before the car was tuned though, no doubt about it.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Liner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I contacted SUPERMAN09 like Bill suggested and he had interesting news, which I'm not sure I'm allowed to post here.

If it's about catted C6 headers... he had that "interesting news" months ago -- supposed to be ready last spring. Still waiting

Quick Reply: OBX headers, O2 sensors, CEL error question, not who makes the best headers