C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac compressor warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 06:22 PM
repomaniac
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac compressor warning

Driving last night and the A/C stopped working! I checked under the hood and noticed a large gap in the clutch. The retaining bolt walked out (its a 8mm grade 5 bolt) I stopped by GM and they dont sell the bolt but they will put on a new compressor which comes with the bolt
retail : 749$ under warranty . Bottom line if you hear a lite scraping under the hood check it out Had I been my wife driving the clutch would have come off and wiped out my P/S cooler and possibly my radiator. Thank god nobody touches this car but me ,Im so **** I keep the keys with me at work.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:46 PM
9T4Z
Racer

Thanks for the heads up

Gary
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM
SickRick
Drifting

Originally Posted by repomaniac
Thank god nobody touches this car but me ,Im so **** I keep the keys with me at work.
Think the wife will sneak a ride? Nothing like a relationship built on TRUST...

Rick
Old 07-20-2005, 02:30 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Driving last night and the A/C stopped working! I checked under the hood and noticed a large gap in the clutch. The retaining bolt walked out (its a 8mm grade 5 bolt) I stopped by GM and they dont sell the bolt but they will put on a new compressor which comes with the bolt
retail : 749$ under warranty . Bottom line if you hear a lite scraping under the hood check it out Had I been my wife driving the clutch would have come off and wiped out my P/S cooler and possibly my radiator. Thank god nobody touches this car but me ,Im so **** I keep the keys with me at work.
Don't buy bolts from the dealer. Buy from a good industrial bolt supplier. Maryland Metrics carries a huge selection of bolts, and will sell to individuals. Many other industrial bolt suppliers will too, I just happen to have done business with MM for some very exotic bolts that no one else had on the shelf.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:43 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Don't buy bolts from the dealer. Buy from a good industrial bolt supplier. Maryland Metrics carries a huge selection of bolts, and will sell to individuals. Many other industrial bolt suppliers will too, I just happen to have done business with MM for some very exotic bolts that no one else had on the shelf.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:39 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I wonder if you didn't use the air compressor that much would it still happen.

More usuage = shorter life....
Old 07-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Hey ****, I'd keep one key at work, but maybe recommend keeping the other at home.
As for the fobs......
Old 07-22-2005, 12:46 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default When you use the automatic climate control in your Corvette just turn off the air

ditioner switch so you aren't using it all the time.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:11 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
ditioner switch so you aren't using it all the time.
Would you please stop typing the first line of your text in the title box. It is annoying.

Back on topic, shutting off the A/C doesn't stop the A/C clutch from turning, nor does it stop the bearing load caused by the belt. You also run a risk of having the compressor lock up if it is left off for prolonged periods, and the seals may start to leak too. GM tells you in the owner's manual to run the A/C occasionally, even in winter, to prevent these problems.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it needs a diamond impregnated washer. Could be the same design engineer as the balancer?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:52 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Old 07-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by Michrider
Maybe it needs a diamond impregnated washer. Could be the same design engineer as the balancer?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Ah yes, but due to the recent financial difficulties, GM has another fix; they are sending us a checklist of parts to check before driving!

Crank bolt tight...... check
A/C clutch bolts tight..... check
Relay 46 disabled...... check
Spark plug wires tight... check
and so on..........
Old 07-24-2005, 10:16 AM
WS6JJP
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, couldn't resist.
well with all their "financial" problems they are now using a cubic zirconia impregnated washer....much cheaper
Old 07-24-2005, 10:39 AM
archtop
Drifting

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Thats funny! I always check all the bolts on my car to make sure they are nice and tight,I thought everybody did?I do that on my Chinese made go cart too.

Last edited by archtop; 07-24-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:21 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by archtop
Thats funny! I always check all the bolts on my car to make sure they are nice and tight,I thought everybody did?I do that on my Chinese made go cart too.
Not me. I safety wired my crank bolt to my a/c bolt!!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:07 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default will I what?

Would you please stop typing the first line of your text in the title box. It is annoying.

Back on topic, shutting off the A/C doesn't stop the A/C clutch from turning, nor does it stop the bearing load caused by the belt. You also run a risk of having the compressor lock up if it is left off for prolonged periods, and the seals may start to leak too. GM tells you in the owner's manual to run the A/C occasionally, even in winter, to prevent these problems.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:08 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default We know We know

Get notified of new replies

To ac compressor warning

Old 07-26-2005, 01:41 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

I guess the that means you are still typing in the title box
Old 07-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy D
I guess the that means you are still typing in the title box
The Ignore List in your user CP might just come in handy here!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:57 PM
itsatoy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default anyone changed an A/C clutch while compressor still mounted??

I have recently replaced the crank bolt on my first 05' after 50k + miles , big job dropping the front rack for parts that cost me less than a couple hundred dollars. My other 05' not driven nearly as much and currently has 11k miles has developed a 'pinging n scraping' sound. Could hear it was clearly from passenger side front. Tried a $10 tensioner pulley, not it.
Spent $10 on mechanics stethoscope put the car up on the lift and it was obvious it was the front of the compressor. Since I have the 2 05's it was easy to determine from the one that works that the clutch wasn't engaging when air was turned on so must be the pulley bearing or so I feel at this point.
Through a little more digging I see that the friggin cradle needs to come down to change the entire compressor and since I just did this on the other car for the crank bolt I'm in disbelief I get to do it again or pay the dealer for $1500 repair, most of which is cradle drop labor.

Clutch/bearing pulley kits are less than $150 and might be what I try if someone wants to share with me that with the proper pulley/pusher tools it can be done while the compressor is still mounted(albeit having to disconnect or temporarily move some hoses and wires to get a clear shot at the front of the clutch)

****and I was fearful it was a torque tube bearing having to drop the whole rear end or take it to the dealer for a $1200 repair, now it's looking better than what it actually turned out to be!****

Quick Reply: ac compressor warning