C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recording our driving habits?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM
phatman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recording our driving habits?!!!

I don't know about you guys/gals, but for the most part, I cruise on the roadways and every now and then exceed the posted speed. I would like to say anyone who says you own a Corvette and obey the speed limit, need not respond!! I know of no one who obeys the posted speed all the time. 45 mph speed zone, you may go 50. 65 you may travel 70, which is still exeeding. Anyway, I was reading an article that says by 2013, all new cars are required to have EDRs. This records your driving habbits, as well as how far you had the petal, etc. this actually scares me. There are so many idiots who travel the roads these days. I've witnessed countless people cut others off, enter off ramps without stopping and here is a good one. How many times hve you witnessed someone come to a complete stop on the interstate, while traveling in the left lane, just to cross three lanes in order to exit? imagine you traveling 10 mph above the posted limit and this idiot crosses three lanes and you end up hitting them. The insurance company may find them at fult, but if your driving recorder show that, 5 minutes prior, you exceed the speed by 30-40 mph, you may become liable. I say 30-40 above, because many times I really hammer it entering the expressway and I could reach speeds of 85-90 mph, to merge into traffic. If its late at night, I may really let her fly
Her is the post. http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/...insurance.aspx
Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Big Brother, and I too do not like it.

I for the most part am very law biding, while driving. I do exhibit the accelerated on ramp runs but quickly get to traffic flow speed without any "lane change". The last part is very important.

I also like to canyon carve and will do this will little braking as possible, getting into a even speed flow. So I am not really going crazy.

My worry would be what information might be out of context.

I am not paranoid but I feel that to much is known by to many already regarding people private lives.

This loss of freedom at first seems small but as more is taken the loss becomes greater without every knowing, being passed on from generation to generation.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Called event data recorders (EDRs for short), these devices are already in many autos -- the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in 2008 that 65% to 90% of all vehicles had them. Virtually all new cars, the agency adds, are equipped with EDRs.
Been in Corvettes for the last 20-25 years. What's the problem? You just find out about them?

the NHTSA has recently decided that all vehicles built after 2013 must have standardized EDRs that record a trove of relevant, very specific details
No big deal.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM
ol144
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an old fart with a clean driving record, State Farm Insurance just gave me '' free Onstar for a year'' for my 08 coupe. Wasnt that nice of them?
MONITOR THIS!!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
99c54me
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am an old fart with a clean driving record. And I pulled the On Star fuse more than a couple years ago. No one but me needs to know.

Insurance companies can use this info to set customers rates, or decide who to drop.

Can't ticket (yet) based on this info if it doesn't tell who the driver was. A slippery slope, not good at all.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Been in Corvettes for the last 20-25 years. What's the problem? You just find out about them?
You may be referring to the 'black box' which records the speed you were going a few seconds before the airbag deploys.
Even so, they have not been in cars for that long.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Wayne88
You may be referring to the 'black box' which records the speed you were going a few seconds before the airbag deploys.
Even so, they have not been in cars for that long.
The "black box" is the EDR, which is what the linked article is about. It's not about a new recorder that's suddenly going to be put in the cars. All the C5s had them. But I thought they started in the C4s - I may be wrong about that. But for sure, they've been in Corvettes since 1997. 14 years instead of 20. They're still not something new.

Granted, the article makes it sound like additional information will be recorded that wasn't recorded before.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 11-16-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM
phatman
Instructor

Clean records have nothing to do with slipping up once and getting caught. No one is perfect and attorneys have a way of making a mistake turn into a financial mistake.

Ps. I just realized I put this in the wrong section. Sorry
Old 11-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
The "black box" is the EDR, which is what the linked article is about. It's not about a new recorder that's suddenly going to be put in the cars. All the C5s had them. But I thought they started in the C4s - I may be wrong about that. But for sure, they've been in Corvettes since 1997. 14 years instead of 20. They're still not something new.

Granted, the article makes it sound like additional information will be recorded that wasn't recorded before.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

so who here knows how to remove it?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

I guess with the stop light cameras, the up and coming speed cameras and now a moredetailed Black box big brother is looking to watch us very closely.

With regard to the EDR, the most important question will be "who can access the information contained herein and when"
Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 PM
99c54me
Racer

Just need to stay ahead of technology because you cannot stop technology.

1) Wear a mask while driving. That takes care of the cameras.

2) The EDR/blackbox is located in the air bag module. A C5 owner reported he removed his airbag module with no ill effects to normal operation. I have no idea what a C6 would do if the airbag module was removed.

3) Any judge will quickly give a court order to get access if the reason is suspicion of causing a bad crash. So don't think you can hide the module from the law, you can't.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 99c54me

2) The EDR/blackbox is located in the air bag module. A C5 owner reported he removed his airbag module with no ill effects to normal operation. I have no idea what a C6 would do if the airbag module was removed.

3) Any judge will quickly give a court order to get access if the reason is suspicion of causing a bad crash. So don't think you can hide the module from the law, you can't.
2)would require a tech2 device - we just need to know if its doable.

3)all the more reason to remove the damn thing sooner rather than later!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 99c54me

1) Wear a mask while driving. That takes care of the cameras.

We already have a black box to record accident data. My concern would be if GM or someone else being able to access it (EDR) any time they desire, just as they can look at vehicles equipped with
on star
Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Holy crap.. I could now read it all.....good lunch with it all..lol
Old 11-18-2011, 09:55 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

This has been around for years on many different cars. We had a new Honda accord we took onto NJMP (road course) and it threw a rod in three laps, the car had less then 10k on it and was only a half year old at best.

Honda said "I see you were at 6,400 RPM and 94 MPH", the answer to that was "yeah and? If you feel thats too high or too fast put a limiter on it".

They warranteed it...

Different situation then the insurance discussion here, but same idea.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Ultimate ride
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It could also be used in your favor, as proof you were NOT speeding at the time of the accident if/when accused.

Get notified of new replies

To Recording our driving habits?!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
This has been around for years on many different cars. We had a new Honda accord we took onto NJMP (road course) and it threw a rod in three laps, the car had less then 10k on it and was only a half year old at best.

Honda said "I see you were at 6,400 RPM and 94 MPH", the answer to that was "yeah and? If you feel thats too high or too fast put a limiter on it".

They warranteed it...

Now all we need is GM to do the same for any one of us who does the same with their Corvette
Old 11-18-2011, 01:16 PM
phatman
Instructor

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

They warranteed it...

It's funny, cars are coming out with more and more horsepower, but yet, they give you a problem with driving them the way they were suppose to be driven. Wow, a Honda at that. Go figure lol. (Not saying anything negative about hondas )
Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 PM
TMyers
Race Director

As other have said EDR's, black boxes have been around for many years. Gm has had them in various models since the 70's. As of the early 2000 all GM vehicles have had them.

Quick Reply: Recording our driving habits?!!!