C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

story of 15k invested total for 10 sec c6 need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:37 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default story of 15k invested total for 10 sec c6 need advice

Howdy all... Im strictly a DIY kinda guy mainly because of money issues (currently in the military). With that being said for a guy
making 18k a year, most of us can only dream of this car.My old man taught me a few things and he always said after a few

hours of turning wrenches you'll have a new lvl of respect for ya car. After a good while of saving and good luck I managed to come across my car at the dealership. Wrecked the car a few weeks after buying it.. Long story short I ended up owning the

car for just under 10gz...Fixed 100%, yes a road worthy lt3 06 z51 w 18kmiles for 10gz including painted cf hood and rpm lvl 5 tranny I have the story on my profile if you care to read. First thing I bought for my car was the z06 exhaust

manifolds,cats,h-pipe. I bought the car it already had K&N cai and borla stingers so I was good on that. Fastest I went with that set up is 12.32@115 mph untuned mind you with horrible 2.1 60 ft. dynoed 367hp 363 tq... after another 10 months of

saving....1800$ I felt I was ready for the next set up.. Nitrous w tune . I was really close to pulling that trigger and right b4 I did I found a deal I couldn't pass up... Ls3 heads w dual springs, hardened pushrods, 228/232 114lsa cam,ported l76, 40 lb

injectors, ported tb, and new arp head bolts all for 1210 +shipping and stock parts to swap with!! I never tore into a v8 and I can tell ya its been very interesting and I know it would been impossible for me to do without corvette forums. I bought a felpro

.040 head gasket and all the necessary stuff to swap the cam, timing chain and und pulley. This will be my first head/cam swap ever. During the transaction between me and spinmonster I've been taking every bracket I can get off and polishing them.. keeps

me busy so I don't lose my mind with my car motor being apartin my 1 car garage! I receive my heads on the 27th and gonna take them to get milled and then I'm going to polish the outside of them b4 install. My cash is running out so I'm kinda stuck to

buying Hp tuner w wideband and tuning myself. That's gonna be interesting there.... I cant even figure out how to post pictures on cf.. I'm currently selling off my left over stuff from fixing my car and both systems so I can pay for a good set of used

headers and after tax I'll be purchasing a 150 shot wet system, hardened axle shafts, and hopefully a clutch Moral of the story is.... I'm going to have a total of 15k invested max in this car and It's going to be a 10 sec ride Yea and everything I'm doing

my self as far as wrench turning. But I will need assistance with tuning so should I buy the Hp pro or can I stick with the basic for wat I'm working with... Keep in mind of my future mods... I got the next 6 months planned out dollar for dollar so taking it to a actual tuner is outta question for me and the pro version is gonna set me back on the spray a month or 2.

Last edited by marine&hisvette; 12-27-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:44 PM
COVERT GUY
Pro

Best of luck.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:05 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Get the HP tuners and forget nitrous. You can go 10s on what you already have. Although a real CAI would be better than the K&N filter.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:05 PM
SpecialSause
Racer

Send your computer off to a tuner and have them upload the tune on it.. I believe the price is around $300 and will save you from buying hp tuners and all the time associated with learning how to properly tune a car, and possibly messing up your car and turning that 15k into 20k or more.. as far as the wrench turning goes.. it's just nuts and bolts (mostly bolts) just take your time, it's not rocket science.. good luck
Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

I looked into mail order tunes... that woulda been fine but Im doing a cam swap as well... With the set up I'm going with I'm failry sure it be a waste of money for me to do that
Old 12-25-2011, 08:30 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

yea I keep hearing of deep 10's with this set up w/o nitrous.. Yea the I fab a intake shroud for the K&n.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:21 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Get HPtuners pro and I can tune you from here.

I have the tune for your H/C package. You would just need to check it with a wideband.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

How about that LM-1 # 3723 wideband there a guy selling it for 260shipped he said he used it twice.. Awhile ago rpm in reighly offer to do a base tune for the car for 350.. I emailed them to see way they'll do with the new set up and waiting response.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:52 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Innovate widebands are junk. You can get a brand new NGK AFX for $270 shipped, and it blows any Innovate product away.

I find it hard to believe that it is cheaper to buy HP Tuners and a wideband than it is to just get your car tuned. You're looking at $900 in equipment for stuff you don't know how to use when you can get a tune for a couple hundred bucks.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:59 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

Shops around my area told me I would need to purchase the hp system and then they'll tune it... These shops are known for there 1500whp supra and the other there 1008hp civic.. And yet they dont have the hp system. I will need to tow my car about 180 miles to the closets real shop witch is rpm..

Last edited by marine&hisvette; 12-26-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:06 PM
2thousand2
Instructor

Originally Posted by DSteck
Innovate widebands are junk. You can get a brand new NGK AFX for $270 shipped, and it blows any Innovate product away.

I find it hard to believe that it is cheaper to buy HP Tuners and a wideband than it is to just get your car tuned. You're looking at $900 in equipment for stuff you don't know how to use when you can get a tune for a couple hundred bucks.
Real talk. O.P. just have Dave take care of your tune!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Get HPtuners pro and I can tune you from here.

I have the tune for your H/C package. You would just need to check it with a wideband.
Spin, you're a stand up guy! There aren't many out there like you.

OP, take him up on that offer.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by marine&hisvette
Shops around my area don't told me I would need to purchase the hp system and then they'll tune it... These shops are known for there 1500whp supra and the other there 1008hp civic.. And yet they dont have the hp system. I will need to toe my car about 180 miles to the closets real shop witch is rpm..
That is ridiculous!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 AM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

Spin ty for the offer I have only 500$ that's spendable money till I get my taxes back.. Unless my items sell..So looks like I'm just gonna buy hardened ax'e shafts and do a intsall on them while I wait to get some cash built up to get it tuned. I never thought it would be such a hassle to get the car tuned but it is wat it is. Good thing I got a truck to get me from A to B at 16mpg highway
Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by marine&hisvette
Spin ty for the offer I have only 500$ that's spendable money till I get my taxes back.. Unless my items sell..So looks like I'm just gonna buy hardened ax'e shafts and do a intsall on them while I wait to get some cash built up to get it tuned. I never thought it would be such a hassle to get the car tuned but it is wat it is. Good thing I got a truck to get me from A to B at 16mpg highway

Why change the axle shafts right now? There are weaker links in the drivetrain, at least from my experience. My stock '08 axle shafts have been 100% fine with 650+ rwhp. My transmission wasn't so lucky....

I'd get it tuned first so you can enjoy it. On street tires, you won't break any parts.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

If ya read the story I already have rpm lvl 5 tranny. My drag set are 18x 10.5 c6 reproduction wrapped in nitto 555r but they sucked on track.. Couldn't even Launch at 2 grand. Or might be the severly unprepared local track
Old 12-26-2011, 11:32 PM
lockman
Burning Brakes

how far are you from Va Beach? if you get your wide band I have an HP tuner that you can use to tune your car I think I have credits left on it if not I think it's 100 for the credits for it. so if spin sends the tune you can use my tuner to tune your ride.

Get notified of new replies

To story of 15k invested total for 10 sec c6 need advice

Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

VA beach is about 4.5hrs from here... I'm located camp lejeune, Nc. That be alsome man and ty for the offer Is it the hp pro?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

yea there isn't much difference between the pro and reg but I did get the pro. I've used it to have my car tuned I don't know enough aobut tuning to do it myself though. so I just took it to the Pros and paid them to dyno tune mine.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Please add some spacing to the long threads. Tried to read it and could not get through it kept getting lost.

Quick Reply: story of 15k invested total for 10 sec c6 need advice