C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PB - 10.81@128 1.44 60 foot

Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ridiculous 60'
Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by carlrx7
SICK!!!!! Joe! Congrats!
Originally Posted by dennis50nj
way to go Joe
Originally Posted by CDaniel525
Wow, thats killer on a stock clutch'd ls2!! Congrats Joe!
Im gonna need some serious practice to get anywhere near that 60' time! LoL
Originally Posted by RapidRick
"Holy Smokes".......

Absolutely fantabulous Doc Sparky!
Originally Posted by HOXXOH
WOW! 1.44 and even twice.

Congrats on the PB 10.81.
Originally Posted by dsp300c
congrats!!!!
Originally Posted by matt_lowry123
Damn that's fast!!! Good job dude!!
Originally Posted by taken19
Great job Joe!!!

When Justin throws in the towel for a new clutch, maybe we can have a clutch party...
Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
Holy smokes..............1.44's? That's amazing - congrats!
Originally Posted by dicky
wow congrats joe, i didnt even know they were open yesterday. if i would have had my exhaust on i would have been up set i missed it. i should have my exhaust fixed in a week or so then ill proably go out again before i leave for cali.
Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Ridiculous 60'
Thanks Gents!

I have to say, my clutch is one reliable piece of machinery. I just drove it for an hour in stop and go traffic on i-95...creeping along...it's just like a Honda Civic clutch in traffic.

Yet it'll hold a 6700 RPM 100% throttle launch, matter of fact, two of them within 4 minutes.

Roger Preston of Horsepower Sales and I were just laughing about it this morning. I'm not sure how I got so lucky with that clutch. I tell all my friends that God loves me and it's true.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinjor
I'm optimistic that this clutch will hold on for awhile longer. I've identified the issue I was having and have adjusted to make sure it doesn't happen again. IF I do in fact have to put one in, a clutch party sounds like a good time to me.
What was the issue you were having with your clutch Justin... how did you remedy it...

Joe_G... Have you done anything to your clutch system to make it last soo long, other than say Ranger fluid flushes??
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
What was the issue you were having with your clutch Justin... how did you remedy it...

Joe_G... Have you done anything to your clutch system to make it last soo long, other than say Ranger fluid flushes??
I did a few things.

1) Removed the clutch spring. Well, Joe removed it the first time we met at PBIR, but ya-it's gone.
2) Removed the inspection plates on the bellhousing.
The problem with the corvette hydraulics is that the clutch dust has nowhere to go when it is generated and it then penetrates the vulnerable slave cylinder which is why the fluid turns black.
To assist the clutch dust from exiting, I removed the 2 plastic inspection ports on the lower sides of the bellhousing. I did this a few months ago and my clutch fluid has been remarkably clean ever since. I still do the fluid swap, but what used to take 3 or 4 cycles of clean fluid to 'repair', now only take 1 cycle.
3) My burnouts are now only 3-4 seconds. I used to do longer smokier burnouts to get my Toyo drag radials hot, but these Mickeys don't take much to get them ready.

I also swap the fluid before and after the drag strip as Joe recommended to me awhile ago. I don't expect to get 450+ passes on it, but I'm knocking on the door to the 150+ pass, 70+ of which have been with the cam installed.

Hope that helps.

Big thanks again to Joe for his invaluable information he has so graciously shared with me. Thanks buddy
The following users liked this post:
89talon (04-20-2017)
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I do the Ranger method before and after each event religiously since new. The fluid is pretty much always clean, even yesterday evening after those events.

Removed pedal spring as soon as I put in a cam. It was sticking to the floor after the cam (but not with only bolt ons).

I don't think my car has anything plugging the inspection ports on the bell housing, I've seen tracks of clutch dust on the bell housing.

Check out the clutch dust on the video! My buddy said it looks like a pro stocker belching out dust.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I've lost count of the pedal spring-ecotmies I've done at the track. Two or three in the last couple of months.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I do the Ranger method before and after each event religiously since new. The fluid is pretty much always clean, even yesterday evening after those events.

Removed pedal spring as soon as I put in a cam. It was sticking to the floor after the cam (but not with only bolt ons).

I don't think my car has anything plugging the inspection ports on the bell housing, I've seen tracks of clutch dust on the bell housing.

Check out the clutch dust on the video! My buddy said it looks like a pro stocker belching out dust.

That's interesting Joe. I think I may have misphrased that--not the inspection ports, the 2 plastic 'covers' on either side of the front of the bellhousing. The starter goes through one of them, and the other side is just attached with 2 10mm bolts.

Removing them lets a nice amount of air flow through the bellhousing and out the 2 inspection ports which should help with dust exit. At least, that made sense to me.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

I've lost count of the pedal spring-ecotmies I've done at the track. Two or three in the last couple of months.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

That's interesting Joe. I think I may have misphrased that--not the inspection ports, the 2 plastic 'covers' on either side of the front of the bellhousing. The starter goes through one of them, and the other side is just attached with 2 10mm bolts.

Removing them lets a nice amount of air flow through the bellhousing and out the 2 inspection ports which should help with dust exit. At least, that made sense to me.
I've not done the mod to remove the front inspection plates. I hate crawling under the car on stands. Easy to do or a pain?

Jeremy Formato did a nice post on it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ur-clutch.html
Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

I've not done the mod to remove the front inspection plates. I hate crawling under the car on stands. Easy to do or a pain?

Jeremy Formato did a nice post on it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ur-clutch.html
Exactly! Ya, he's the one who suggested it in the first place. He also suggested boring out the inspection holes but I didn't feel like doing that at the time.

Removing the starter-side one is a huge pain. I actually had to loosen the passenger side header so I could wiggle the starter far enough to clear the inspection plate. It's a little piece of plastic but it certainly gave me hell.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Congrats Joe! 1.44 is insane on a stock clutch, I can't wait to see pics of it if you ever take it out! Must have magic ferry dust sprinkled on it lol For sure would have been a 10.7 without the head wind, but don't suppose you can complain too much as that's a nice DA with the sun out

Hm--that sounds like a challenge Marc
I believe it'd be possible for you with a gear swap as your coupe is lighter
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Congrats Joe! 1.44 is insane on a stock clutch, I can't wait to see pics of it if you ever take it out! Must have magic ferry dust sprinkled on it lol For sure would have been a 10.7 without the head wind, but don't suppose you can complain too much as that's a nice DA with the sun out

I believe it'd be possible for you with a gear swap as your coupe is lighter
Yes notice I haven't made any excuses thus far, but here we go... I was running 1/2 tank gas yesterday along with a 25 mph headwind and DA only -589.

I was hoping to get close to Andrew and Dennis but alas, seems it's not going to happen as I'm done beating on my car that gets me to and from work.

I hadn't planned for a track event, so I had almost 3/4 of a tank. I went to siphon out some gas (which I've done before) but couldn't find my 1/8 plastic line. 1/4 plastic line doesn't work BTW, but 1/8 does, just takes a while to do it. I did drive up in 5th to burn off some gas. Al Gore would not be proud.

I did siphon out my washer fluid, and used the opportunity to show my 6 year old a little bit of science in the form of pressure differential via the siphon technique. He was non-plussed and preferred to do battle against aliens on his Wii. I didn't push the issue as I realized I really didn't want him getting a mouthful of gas like I did the first time I did it, but perhaps he noted the technique of how to NOT get a mouthful of gas which is what I was trying to show him.

My wife's plan is better, don't try to siphon gas. But hey, if the world goes to Mad Max I'm your man. I can do lots of things like siphon gas.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Joe, you crack me up.

Done beating on your car though? Say it ain't so! I can't believe you're done with the dragstrip. . .
Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Joe, you crack me up.

Done beating on your car though? Say it ain't so! I can't believe you're done with the dragstrip. . .
Oh I didn't say that!

I'm looking forward to our new challenge series starting 3/17. But there's a huge difference bracket racing your car, dialing soft and launching easy, going for a good light and working the stripe, vs. launching at 100% throttle and 6700 RPM!

You can bracket race a car, dialing high 11's and launching for a 1.8 60 foot, for a long time.

You only get so many 1.5 60 foots, and I think the 1.44's count double against rear end life!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Oh I didn't say that!

I'm looking forward to our new challenge series starting 3/17. But there's a huge difference bracket racing your car, dialing soft and launching easy, going for a good light and working the stripe, vs. launching at 100% throttle and 6700 RPM!

You can bracket race a car, dialing high 11's and launching for a 1.8 60 foot, for a long time.

You only get so many 1.5 60 foots, and I think the 1.44's count double against rear end life!
Very true--I was just making sure. I was worried for a split second.

I'm trying to get the #1 spot for LS3 internal mods as the car sits right now and I'll get there with your help
Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What tires and sizes are you using in the rear?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
What tires and sizes are you using in the rear?
315/35/17 Mickey Thompsons on C5Z06 fronts.

They rub on standard c6 fenders, not so on z06/grand sport fenders.

Get notified of new replies

To New PB - 10.81@128 1.44 60 foot

Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats Joe!

What's she weighing in at these days?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 PM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What's wrong with your exhaust? Or did you get something new?
i was getting a bunch of knock retard on the shifts because of my cutouts hitting a heat shield. im going to a solid 3'' with Z06 mufflers and im waiting on the peaces that go from the X pipe to the axel back. i hope this will help get my mph up since i wont have any knock.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 PM
ITS STOCK
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice time Joe and killer 60'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New PB - 10.81@128 1.44 60 foot