C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling noise when idling in gear

Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM
redsoxnation555
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise when idling in gear

Hi, I have '06 stock automatic coupe with about 89K miles. Had it for about 3 years now.
The problem seemed to appear a year or so ago, but I was thinking maybe I'm just paranoid because I always seem to hear some noises/clicking/rattling in cars I drive, and nobody else can hear them or they tell me it's how it supposed to sound.
Anyway, there's a rattling noise when I idle in gear. If I shift to neutral, it completely goes away for a split second and then comes back at about 1/3 of the "In-Gear" noise, and it seems like there's even less noise in Park. If I go faster than like 5 mph, the noise seems to go away.
I don't have any codes. The car doesn't seem to use oil. I had an AT flush done about 6-9 months ago.
I was thinking of taking it to local dealer, but I doubt their competence (they 'fixed' my brother's truck after a minor collision, but left a couple of vacuum hoses disconnected, which caused all kinds of codes, and their suggestion was to replace the fuel cap). Besides, the noise/vibration was pretty faint before, so that most people wouldn't even hear it, but recently it's become pretty noticeable.
So what do you guys think? What does it sound like?
I appreciate any help.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Soju Vette
1st Gear

Default Anyone else?

Curious - I have the same issue. Just started yesterday. I have a 2005 LS2, automatic w/ 14K miles. The rattle is very obvious - occurs as soon as you put her in gear and goes away with acceleration.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 PM
redsoxnation555
6th Gear

Well, the tsb states it's the bearing at the rear end of the propeller shaft. In my case though, while the dealer was disassembling my car, they stripped the nut that kept the bearing in place. (The mechanic did say that the bearing seemed to be fine, though.) That required replacement of the whole shaft. After all was said and done, the noise is gone. Cost me $2000, would have been $1300 without prop shaft replacement.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

It's the torque tube bearings making noise. Mine was fixed under warranty a few years ago, it was a 14 hour job!

Douglas in Green Bay

Get notified of new replies

To Rattling noise when idling in gear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattling noise when idling in gear