C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 PM
deepcj7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
MisterMidLifeCrisis observations are exactly what we would expect. Especially under braking on track with street tires, or track use with race tires in both cornering and braking you're going to definitely want more spring rate for best performance. That being said if you're aggressively street driving you will still see a really nice improvement in overall confidence of the car with the Base springs.

You can definitely use the JO sway bars in conjunction with the coilovers. The overall rates of the JO bars are pretty similar to those of our Heavy Duty - Light Rate sway bars, which are great for track use with street tires. The difference between the JO bars and the Light Rates are that the Light rates are lighter and offer an adjustable front bar which may be pretty beneficial for dialing in the car for track use.

That being said, you can absolutely use the JO bars with coilovers!
So if Z51 springs are a good upgrade, will the ZO6 springs be even better?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I just ordered mine today. What hole did you start with on the rear bar, and where did you end up? I have an 05 basically stock coupe and I only do 2-4 track days a year.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We would start with setting the bar in the middle setting and after your first track day really evaluating the performance and making a decision from there. By starting the middle setting you will have some room to move if you feel the car is over steering or pushing depending on your tire grip levels.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Installed the Johnny O package at the same time as adding a V3-SI, cam and long tubes. The 625+ HP is intoxicating but the improvement in handling was right up there with the experience.

The car feels planted around sweeping corners that used to cause an unbalanced situation.

In addition, I actually like the ride better since it feels as though it should have come that way stock.

Great upgrade for a C5Z
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 PM
rrankins
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you that installed this kit yourselves, how hard of a job is it for the do-it-yourselfer?
About how long does it take to do?
Any special tools needed?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Did mine on a lift with my mechanic, but if you can lift the car high enough you should be ok. Just be SAFE. Not worth getting hurt to save a couple of bucks. The shocks are a much bigger pain than the bars. 6 turns on the links hit it just right.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Any feedback on the Johnny O' sways with the Grand Sport F55 suspension (keeping the F55 shocks system)?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rrankins
For those of you that installed this kit yourselves, how hard of a job is it for the do-it-yourselfer?
About how long does it take to do?
Any special tools needed?

Thanks,
Ray
Hey Ray. The entire install process isn't particularly tricky. If you have a well stocked garage with proper tools you should be able to get it done yourself. For piece of mind it's not certainly not a bad idea to get an alignment performed afterwards as well.

Here are links to the install documents. This should give you a good idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Pfadt Race Engineering - Johnny O'Connell Sway Bar Installation Instructions
Pfadt Race Engineering - Johnny O'Connell Shock Installation Instructions

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
Any feedback on the Johnny O' sways with the Grand Sport F55 suspension (keeping the F55 shocks system)?
We have folks that run our sway bar packages with really good success with the F55 suspension package. The same advantages you see over any of the factory sway bars will be apperant when upgrading with the F55, improved turn in response, overall improved balance and through those two big items the car becomes easier to drive.

From a performance perspective you are leaving something on the table by not moving to the Johnny O'Connell shocks as well, but the bars will work great on their own!

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 06-08-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hey Pfadt: Mine should be at my shop in about 7 days....

The C6Z51 is probably one of the most common OEM suspension packages that folks purchasing the Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 upgrade from. There will be an absolute difference in the handling. You can expect flatter cornering, improved turn in response and overall balance that makes the car easier to drive fast.
Hi, Pfadt:

We have PM'ed back and forth a few months ago about my future purchase of the JOC package...... Well, it's almost a reality.

The tire and performance shop I use (Tom's Performance Tires, Signal Hill, CA) just ordered my JOC package about a week ago from you and also is signing up to be one of your retailers. The package should be delivered to them in a week or so.

They are going to install the JOC Package and a new set of Michelin PS2 ZP's on my 2008 C6 Z51, that now has almost 59,000 miles on it.

I am really looking forward to your package! I have read every thread on this forum re the JOC Package, and am especially encouraged by how well it works with the Z51 option.

Thanks! Rick

Last edited by Blue Demon Owner; 06-08-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Pfadt, are you saying the J-O set up, sways & shocks, will outperform the Z07 package on a GS...in terms of flat cornering, bump compliance, & race track performance?

If so, your $1,000 JO package, with upgraded tires, would effectively transform my '12 GS.

And fyi, I didn't want the complexity of the F55 system & hoped to find equal performance from upgraded tires like Mich Super sports & a shock/sway kit.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Also keep in mind that if the car does slightly change ride height you can always restablish the ride height your looking for with the factory Ride Height Adjusters built into the leaf springs. The amount of ride height change due to replacing a shock is very easily compensated for by making slight adjustments to the Leaf Springs.
Hi, Pfadt, again:

Can you explain how to do this in detail, in case I need to have my shop do it when my JOC package is installed?

Thanks! Rick
Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Blue Demon Owner
Hi, Pfadt:

We have PM'ed back and forth a few months ago about my future purchase of the JOC package...... Well, it's almost a reality.

The tire and performance shop I use (Tom's Performance Tires, Signal Hill, CA) just ordered my JOC package about a week ago from you and also is signing up to be one of your retailers. The package should be delivered to them in a week or so.

They are going to install the JOC Package and a new set of Michelin PS2 ZP's on my 2008 C6 Z51, that now has almost 59,000 miles on it.

I am really looking forward to your package! I have read every thread on this forum re the JOC Package, and am especially encouraged by how well it works with the Z51 option.

Thanks! Rick
Excellent Rick! I'm sure you're going to love the new setup once it's installed. Be sure to let us know what you think!

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
Pfadt, are you saying the J-O set up, sways & shocks, will outperform the Z07 package on a GS...in terms of flat cornering, bump compliance, & race track performance?

If so, your $1,000 JO package, with upgraded tires, would effectively transform my '12 GS.

And fyi, I didn't want the complexity of the F55 system & hoped to find equal performance from upgraded tires like Mich Super sports & a shock/sway kit.
From an overall handling perspective, yes there will be a definite improvement when moving from the F55 to the Johnny O'Connell package. You will decrease the amount of body roll with the upgraded Johnny O sway bars, improve the overall balance by bringing the natural behavior of the car at the limit closer to neutral, and still retain very comfortable street manners. The shocks will likely ride a little firmer than the Mag Ride shocks do in sport mode, but the overall improvement to handling is more than worth it. You're other option would be a coilover package, but if you're looking for a fantastic "Set it and Forget it" type upgrade the Johnny O'Connell package is hard to beat.

If your car is Mag Ride equipped it's a little bit of work to disable, but most dealers who have a good tech familiar with the process will be able to get it done with their Tech2 scan tool. It's worth calling around to a local dealer in the area to see exactly who can do it for you.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

So...if I am planning on going with coilovers within the next year,would it be a waste of money for me to purchase the joc shocks? Only get the swaybars (have a Z51)?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 PM
TMyers
Race Director

If your car is Mag Ride equipped it's a little bit of work to disable, but most dealers who have a good tech familiar with the process will be able to get it done with their Tech2 scan tool. It's worth calling around to a local dealer in the area to see exactly who can do it for you.
FYI it takes more than just a Tech II. You have to also jump the LAN in/outs on the ESM. This is located behind that left front fender. About 2 hours of work.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:31 PM
deecount
Racer

We have folks that run our sway bar packages with really good success with the F55 suspension package. The same advantages you see over any of the factory sway bars will be apperant when upgrading with the F55, improved turn in response, overall improved balance and through those two big items the car becomes easier to drive.

From a performance perspective you are leaving something on the table by not moving to the Johnny O'Connell shocks as well, but the bars will work great on their own!
I have an 2009 Coupe w/F55. I upgraded the base sways to Z51 and saw a big improvement in straight line stability under boosted acceleration and much less body roll in the corners. The ride is definitely more firm but not harsh (it's all subjective, of course).

Would the O'Connell sways be an upgrade to the Z51 sways in this setup, and would the ride be too firm/harsh for street duty compared to the Z51 bars?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:41 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
So...if I am planning on going with coilovers within the next year,would it be a waste of money for me to purchase the joc shocks? Only get the swaybars (have a Z51)?
anyone?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 AM
TMyers
Race Director

I would hold off. The difference between my Pfadt SA and stock is night and day. I have not been in a Z06 but my friend says these spring a much stiffer than his. I have yet to have a dry auto cross, and have not been able to really push it to its limits. But .97 on a wet track is not to bad. Once I get a dry track and some pictures I will share what it looks like. I have z51 sways at this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension

Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by deecount
I have an 2009 Coupe w/F55. I upgraded the base sways to Z51 and saw a big improvement in straight line stability under boosted acceleration and much less body roll in the corners. The ride is definitely more firm but not harsh (it's all subjective, of course).

Would the O'Connell sways be an upgrade to the Z51 sways in this setup, and would the ride be too firm/harsh for street duty compared to the Z51 bars?
There will be a small change in ride quality due to a change in bar stiffness, but by far the biggest drivers in ride quality are going to be how the shocks are valved, and to a smaller extent the spring rates being used. The car may feel just a little bit stiffer when hitting a road irregularity with one side of the vehicle and not the other on a stiffer sway bar, but overall their impact to ride quality isn't nearly as big as other components in the suspension. Everyone's perception of ride quality is going to be different, but in our experience a sway bar change isn't a significant impact to ride quality.

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
anyone?
The JO package is great! If you ran it for a year the worst case scenario is that you sell the shocks on the forum for less than what you paid, but you still got a years worth of use out of them. Since there is no fabrication involved in installing either package you can easily move from the JO package to Coilovers. In fact the JO sway bars would be a pretty good fit for a street car that does move to coilovers.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Also keep in mind that if the car does slightly change ride height you can always restablish the ride height your looking for with the factory Ride Height Adjusters built into the leaf springs. The amount of ride height change due to replacing a shock is very easily compensated for by making slight adjustments to the Leaf Springs.
Hi, Pfadt, again:

Can you explain how to do this in detail, in case I need to have my shop do it when my JOC package is installed?

Thanks! Rick
Installation is a week away, the above information would really help!

Thanks! Rick
Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Installation is a week away, the above information would really help!

Thanks! Rick
There are a lot of different guides on how to set ride height with your factory leaf springs available here on Corvette Forum. Keep in mind that it will take a little bit of driving before the car finally settles at your final ride height. Unless your car is significantly higher after your JO shock install you might not want to fiddle with the ride height too much until you get some miles on the car.

http://frankhunt.com/FRANK/hobbies/c...5_Lowering.htm

Be careful not to lower the car too much. As you lower the car the more suspension travel you're effectively dialing out. Really a 1/2 inch or so is perfect for a little more aggressive stance without significantly hurting the amount of suspension travel.

Quick Reply: Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension