C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM
JMcDon1007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension

Hey All,

I just wanted to let you know that I installed the Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension Kit yesterday on my Lingenfelter Grand Sport C6.

With 700 HP and Goodyear Supercar Gen 1 tires, I was experiencing snap oversteer upon accelerating out of the mid-corner....along with several other gremlins caused by those crappy tires. I am waiting for these tires to wear out and then I'll put on a REAL set of tires, but I just wanted to comment on the suspension.

It is unreal how much of an improvement this kit is over the stock Grand Sport suspension. The car feels SO BALANCED in corners now. If the back end does cut loose in corners, it is fluid and controlled. WOW! This has to be one of the best bang-for-your-buck upgrades at $1,000. The kit comes with 4 shocks and two adjustable sway bars. From the back end, you can see the rear, yellow sway bar with Johnny's signature. It looks sweet. I can tell the car has dropped but only slightly. I'd say maybe 1/4" to a 1/2" max which was important to me. The car was already scraping on almost everything due to the carbon fiber kit.

If you're looking for more balance but do not want to negatively affect your ride (for example, if you use the car as a daily driver), this is the kit you need. Great results without a real harsh or jarring ride.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
CWHPARTS
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

i love mine as well
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fantastic! I'm so glad you're enjoying your new suspension package. We really do love the results from the Johnny O'Connell stage one.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

how did the car go down? shocks and sways are passive and have nothing to do with holding the car up
Old 03-17-2012, 02:06 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

CMY SIX,

I wondered this before, but it is from the shocks. The static pressure on the Z51 shocks is higher than most replacement shocks causing a slight drop once they are replaced.

OP,

Glad you like your set up, I am thinking of doing the same myself. Do you have any pics to show before and after on the ride hieght?

DJ
Old 03-17-2012, 04:03 PM
JMcDon1007
Instructor

Originally Posted by djbrun
CMY SIX,

I wondered this before, but it is from the shocks. The static pressure on the Z51 shocks is higher than most replacement shocks causing a slight drop once they are replaced.

OP,

Glad you like your set up, I am thinking of doing the same myself. Do you have any pics to show before and after on the ride hieght?

DJ
Hey DJ,

I don't have any, but I doubt you will be able to tell through pictures. The amount it dropped is very small. I noticed it, just because of where the edge of the wheel wells were compared to the top of the tire. It definitely dropped a little, but like I said, it was a very, very small amount. If I get some time to take a few pictures, I will and you can compare them to the pics I have in my "garage". I will post them on this thread.

Take care,

-John
Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Also keep in mind that if the car does slightly change ride height you can always restablish the ride height your looking for with the factory Ride Height Adjusters built into the leaf springs. The amount of ride height change due to replacing a shock is very easily compensated for by making slight adjustments to the Leaf Springs.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM
stevenm357
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome to hear, anyone know if it would be possible to buy just the front bar?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenm357

I don't know about the just the front bar...but I'm running just F/R JOC sway bars and the difference is night and day. I believe it's one of the best mods you can do.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:03 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

how much of an improvement over the z51 suspension would I see?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
I already had Bilstein Sports on my car before the JOC's went on. They improved the cornering limits and predictability. The ride is smother and the front end scrapes less on driveways.

You would see a huge improvement in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stevenm357
We do not well the Johnny O'Connell bars separately from each other. If you want the JO bars you will need to purchase both.

The C6Z51 is probably one of the most common OEM suspension packages that folks purchasing the Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 upgrade from. There will be an absolute difference in the handling. You can expect flatter cornering, improved turn in response and overall balance that makes the car easier to drive fast.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

If I do this mod....but go coilovers in the future,will the sway bars still work ok?( I know the coilovers would replace the shocks)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Hmmmm
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 AM
JMcDon1007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
The C6Z51 is probably one of the most common OEM suspension packages that folks purchasing the Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 upgrade from. There will be an absolute difference in the handling. You can expect flatter cornering, improved turn in response and overall balance that makes the car easier to drive fast.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM
JMcDon1007
Instructor

Given that I had the Grand Sport suspension on the car prior to going with the JO setup, I can tell you that the car will be transformed. Every day I get in it, I literally just shake my head at what a difference it makes. It's unreal how much better the car handles. For $1,000, it has to be one of, if not THE best mod for the money. You absolutely will NOT be disappointed!

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension

Old 03-22-2012, 10:54 PM
deepcj7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
We do not well the Johnny O'Connell bars separately from each other. If you want the JO bars you will need to purchase both.

With a Base C6 and JO suspension, are there more improvements to be had by adding Z51 or ZO6 springs?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:02 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deepcj7
With a Base C6 and JO suspension, are there more improvements to be had by adding Z51 or ZO6 springs?
Deepcj7, I've posted this in other threads. The only time I really notice a handling issue with the softer front base spring is under heavy braking and then at initiation of turn-in. There's too much front end dive under braking that upsets the transitional handling. I imagine it'd be worse autocrossing. I think I read you're heading out to hit some tracks in the mid-west. If so, I think adding a Z51 front spring would make this issue go away.

Man, I want a pair of JOC bars so badly. I can't imagine how sweet the combo of Z51 spring rates and JOC bars would be.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by deepcj7
MisterMidLifeCrisis observations are exactly what we would expect. Especially under braking on track with street tires, or track use with race tires in both cornering and braking you're going to definitely want more spring rate for best performance. That being said if you're aggressively street driving you will still see a really nice improvement in overall confidence of the car with the Base springs.

If I do this mod....but go coilovers in the future,will the sway bars still work ok?( I know the coilovers would replace the shocks)
You can definitely use the JO sway bars in conjunction with the coilovers. The overall rates of the JO bars are pretty similar to those of our Heavy Duty - Light Rate sway bars, which are great for track use with street tires. The difference between the JO bars and the Light Rates are that the Light rates are lighter and offer an adjustable front bar which may be pretty beneficial for dialing in the car for track use.

That being said, you can absolutely use the JO bars with coilovers!

Quick Reply: Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension