C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Clutch comparison] Katech LS9R::McCleod RXT::Mantic Twin Disk

Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Can you go into more detail on which Mantic you guys sell? Looking at the Mantic website, they list 2 different 9000 variety clutches and the race version has yet again 4 different disc types (from what I can tell).

Also, can you PM details on your money back guarantee and the 'offer you can't refuse'? I'm very interested and will be pulling the trigger on the clutch decision in the next couple weeks.

I spoke with someone last week at ECS(Chris I think?) and got a little information but would like to do some more research.

Thank you sir
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
ls3gotcha
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I am so positive that you will be in love with the Mantic twin the second you get in it that I will offer you a money back guaranty for you as a CF regular member. This is deal is for you specifically, not an open invitation to everyone, sorry.
We have plenty of guys using this clutch for their DD/track car and everyone is very happy with it. The slip and high RPM disengagement is just incredible, and it feels like your driving a stock clutch during normal street use.
You will also get longer life from this clutch over any of the OEM clutches from the clutch materials used without compromising street use.
If your interested PM me and I'll "make you an offer you cant refuse.."

I am in the same boat as justin. I have been following his clutch threads because he thinks very similar as me. Pm me a price for the mantic twin kit for my 09 ls3.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ls3gotcha
I am in the same boat as justin. I have been following his clutch threads because he thinks very similar as me. Pm me a price for the mantic twin kit for my 09 ls3.
I'm listening very closely as well.

With 472 passes on my OE clutch, I guess I'll need one someday?

I really think the stock clutch's ability to slip and take the hit is a key to keeping the drivetrain together. I think these on off clutches are very hard on the equipment.
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (06-05-2017)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm listening very closely as well.

With 472 passes on my OE clutch, I guess I'll need one someday?

I really think the stock clutch's ability to slip and take the hit is a key to keeping the drivetrain together. I think these on off clutches are very hard on the equipment.

I'm anxious to hear back from Doug@ECS with regards to that exact aspect of it.

The money back guarantee is nice and I really appreciate the offer, but I would still have to remove the drivetrain again and send the clutch back and pick something else out if for some reason I didn't like it.

I still have about 2 weeks before pulling the trigger so there's still time for research and anecdotal evidence to surface.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
FRNTHVY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on your situation? I am in the market for a new clutch as well and am having the same debate you are having!

Sam
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

I ended up with the Mantic 9000 series twin disk. I'm still breaking it in but so far so good. It's a little noisy in neutral with the pedal out (at a stop light for example) but its a twin disk so that is to be expected. I had to up the idle from 750 to 900 as the rattle at 750 was way too much for my tastes. It was so alarming that I actually pulled everything back apart just to make sure something wasn't loose as the sound was atrocious.

So far I've put about 250 miles on it and I like it. It shifts gears very smoothly, and has very little chatter at take off but it does require a driving adjustment from the stock clutch.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Justin, I have heard from a couple guys that what you're hearing at idle with the pedal out has nothing to do with the clutch assembly, but the actual trans itself, since the lighter flywheel's rotating mass acts as less of a damper, so things bonk around a bit more back there. Solution, push in pedal...LOL

No firsthand experience, but this came from a GM tech and a builder I now here locally.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:42 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

I wouldn't doubt it at all. The clutch works perfectly and I really like the pedal feel and overall performance. It's just retarded noisy in neutral
As soon as I push in the clutch pedal about an inch and a half, the noise immediately stops.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

I did another full DOT4 flush and yanked my return spring.

Much better, but I need to place an order soon
Old 04-30-2012, 03:55 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Ya, I'm in love with this remote bleeder. It takes me literally 3 minutes to fully bleed the clutch from start to finish.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

My c5 which I bought new came with a video, and in the video, it describes that neutral trans rattle...they actually have a car do it in the video. It wasn't that loud, and frankly, I've never noticed it in either my c5 or my c6 (of course I always have a cam or aftermarket exhaust).

The loudest thing in my car, with the cutouts closed, is the doggone FAST! That thing is noisy. Heck it might be hitting my firewall, Iv'e got the cut FAST mod on mine.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

I'm thinking the lope of the cam, combined with the lightweight flywheel, and the twin disk clutch is a recipe for excessive neutral chatter.

It's tolerable now but when I first got it together, it was disturbingly loud. Loud enough that it prompted me to pull the entire drivetrain back out of the car to double check everything.

After upping the idle to 900, its much quieter but the rattle is still present. It's not a game changer, but it is something people should be aware of.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Justinjor
Ya, I'm in love with this remote bleeder. It takes me literally 3 minutes to fully bleed the clutch from start to finish.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
My c5 which I bought new came with a video, and in the video, it describes that neutral trans rattle...they actually have a car do it in the video. It wasn't that loud, and frankly, I've never noticed it in either my c5 or my c6 (of course I always have a cam or aftermarket exhaust).

The loudest thing in my car, with the cutouts closed, is the doggone FAST! That thing is noisy. Heck it might be hitting my firewall, Iv'e got the cut FAST mod on mine.
Huh? I can't hear you. In the car. (You are dead on about the FAST)

I'm thinking the lope of the cam, combined with the lightweight flywheel, and the twin disk clutch is a recipe for excessive neutral chatter.

It's tolerable now but when I first got it together, it was disturbingly loud. Loud enough that it prompted me to pull the entire drivetrain back out of the car to double check everything.

After upping the idle to 900, its much quieter but the rattle is still present. It's not a game changer, but it is something people should be aware of.
I am anxiously awaiting some shakedown runs from you.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

You and I both. Another 700 miles or so and I'll really lay into it. Right now, I'm just doing regular driving with the occasional 70% throttle blast, just to make sure everything is functioning correctly.

The car feels MUCH faster though, that is for sure--it also revs up much more quickly now and I find myself at 3800rpms without even trying. I'm really anxious to romp on it and do a 1st-2nd-3rd gear pull and see how it feels.

You know how your car feels when it makes a lot of power and you're not expecting it? That's what this feels like. I was very used to the 500whp from before and could drive on the edge of traction often and feel comfortable. With the new clutch and 3.90s, the car surprises me a LOT now. . .
Old 04-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

You and I both. Another 700 miles or so and I'll really lay into it. Right now, I'm just doing regular driving with the occasional 70% throttle blast, just to make sure everything is functioning correctly.

The car feels MUCH faster though, that is for sure--it also revs up much more quickly now and I find myself at 3800rpms without even trying. I'm really anxious to romp on it and do a 1st-2nd-3rd gear pull and see how it feels.

You know how your car feels when it makes a lot of power and you're not expecting it? That's what this feels like. I was very used to the 500whp from before and could drive on the edge of traction often and feel comfortable. With the new clutch and 3.90s, the car surprises me a LOT now. . .
Feels like it lost 500 lbs doesn't it.

Where did you hear that before.

BTW wait until you figure out it catches traction easier after breaking traction now.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Joe, yes that does sound familiar. I expected a nice bump in performance for sure and given that its super hot right now, I'm really excited to see how it feels when the cooler weather shows up again.

And what do you mean by your last statement? You're saying it won't break the tires loose as easily now with the gears? It'll hook up better?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Joe, yes that does sound familiar. I expected a nice bump in performance for sure and given that its super hot right now, I'm really excited to see how it feels when the cooler weather shows up again.

And what do you mean by your last statement? You're saying it won't break the tires loose as easily now with the gears? It'll hook up better?
Yep.

Nobody ever believes that but wait and see. It'll break loose, just like it did before, but it'll catch and go faster.

Get notified of new replies

To [Clutch comparison] Katech LS9R::McCleod RXT::Mantic Twin Disk

Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

You know how your car feels when it makes a lot of power and you're not expecting it? That's what this feels like.
Experienced that today in 3rd passing someone driving slowly on my favorite stretch of road. Little drift and I was out of the throttle! The NT05s are no longer the great, grippy tires I believed them to be.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM
C6-13thPilotCar
Racer

I have had the LS9X from Katech last year and now have the Mantic from ECS. Problems with LS9 clutch from Kaltech with 2,000 miles on it. One of the discs lost a clip in the center and caused an out of balance condition. Kateck did not stand behind it. said it was older than GM warranty on parts and did nothing to correct it. Last Katech part I will buy. ECS were stand up people on this and replaced it with a Mantic twin disc and only charged me for the additional Mantic parts. The Mantic is stronger and as smooth as the LS9 clutch. After break in it drives perfect with perfect shifting at all RPM,s I am putting 721 rwhp abd 655 tq thru it and it does not slip. Mantic is the way to go.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Did you notice any issues with take-offs from a stop light with the Mantic? I've had mine for about 250 miles and it has some pretty significant chatter when slipping it from a stand still.

I'm happy with it so far but I'm wondering if this will improve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Clutch comparison] Katech LS9R::McCleod RXT::Mantic Twin Disk