C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Traction Control then Reduced Engine Power then running rough

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
ElSpa
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Service Traction Control then Reduced Engine Power then running rough

This car is killing me ! So help please !

I took it for a drive today and got really hard on the pedal.
On 3rd gear WOT, TC came on and then Reduced engine power and then the engine ran very rough like 4 cyls where not there.
Stopped the car, took off the + wire from the baterry and everything was fine.
I didn't noticed till now, but when I rev it up to 6000+ some black smoke comes off and then after I leave it some blue smoke comes off the exhaust (after the black smoke). Till 5500 or so everything is fine, no smoke what so ever.

I don't know if there are two different problems...black smoke with blue smoke. So is it running rich on the top, but what about the blue smoke ? The car is not eating more oil then usual, the oil vapor lines are pretty clean, it doesn't smoke trough the oil cap or the dipstick hole more then usual not even on WOT.

I'm thinking a clogged cat maybe but the blue smoke is my biggest concern...could they be related ?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM
USNC6Vette
Advanced

Location: Portsmouth, nh, kittery, me, groton, ct, Torrance, ca Ct, me, nh, ca
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its linked to manifold barometric pressure trouble code u have a vac leak check ur pcv hose thats the only area I could see the blue smoke being the reason ive been dealing with the same problem, I need to fix it still. Get a catch can if u caqn too
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Traction Control is a function of the ABS and is a combination of torque reduction and selective application of the rear brakes if the torque reduction doesn't work. The EBCM sends a torque request to the ECM. If the ECM detects a problem that will prevent it from performing the torque reduction properly it sends a message to the EBCM saying it has a problem and the EBCM turns on the Service Traction Control Message. Whenever you see that message at the same time you have a CEL or other engine issue the problem is almost always fixed when the engine problem is fixed.

As for the blue smoke and other things read the codes and see what you find and then diagnose the problem. Without the codes you don't have much chance of locating the fault. Codes tell you where to look they don't tell you what is wrong.

Bill
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM
ElSpa
Racer

Ok:

1. Service Traction Control then Reduced Engine Power - I had several missfires, I checked the spark plug wires (two of them broke when I tried to take them out)... most of them were missing some inside metal shround, more or less...I checked the spark plugs as well, the colour was fine, but on two of them I found some oil (not on the tip, but more on the thread) wich led me to the step 2

2. I took a compression test and everything is fine on all cyls, so I belive that the oil smoke coming up on high revs and the traces of oil on the two spark plugs are because of some bad valve seals....I will change them all when I'll have the time and see from there.

Now, I need a set of spark plugs wires. Which one do you recommand...they must have good grounding so I don't listen to the engine on the radio .

Last edited by ElSpa; 03-23-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:27 PM
ElSpa
Racer

Ok,

I did some tests and I'm getting Service Traction Control and P0101. No engine check light. As soon as I turn off the car the error goes away.
Car is running really rich, I have black smoke comming out on almost every wot.

Any ideeas ?

PS: car has stock intake, but I bough it with some Alco ****** filters....
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same thing happening...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same thing happening...
Do you have any codes? The P0101 mentioned in the previous post is only valid for a 2005 Vette and isn't valid for 2006 through 2013.

If you are getting reduce power and a service traction control message that means something is happening to the engine control torque control circuits and the ECM can't control engine torque sufficiently to provide its share of the Traction Control function. When that happens it sends a message across the GM LAN telling the EBCM that it can't do its job and the EBCM sets an ABS code that initiates the Service Traction Control message.

First thing to do is to read the codes with a scanner that can read ABS codes.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-28-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 AM
ElSpa
Racer

Unfotunatly I had some bad pistons rings. I had change them and the valve seals and everything is allright.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Traction Control then Reduced Engine Power then running rough

Quick Reply: Service Traction Control then Reduced Engine Power then running rough