C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmansan
A great response. I didn't expect you to sugercoat anything. I took issue that the stock canned tune was claimed to be "better than any other tuner could achieve". A tall order.

I would also add that even same model year cars with the same specifications are different. Sometimes slightly different, sometimes significantly different. Factory freak comes to mind.

San
Hello San,

The factory freaks are a thing of the past as I explained on this thread.

15 years ago it was more reasonable to have even your stock Corvette tuned on an individual basis because the HP output varied from car to car. Todays engines are built to tight tolerances and actual HP results are nearly identical but read higher or lower because of inacurate dyno numbers

If your engine needs additional tuning beyond the Edelbrock Supercharger tune then you should inspect the engine compression, plugs, injectors, valves etc.

Hope this helps,

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Read this

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190210
Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Hello San,

The factory freaks are a thing of the past as I explained on this thread.

15 years ago it was more reasonable to have even your stock Corvette tuned on an individual basis because the HP output varied from car to car. Todays engines are built to tight tolerances and actual HP results are nearly identical but read higher or lower because of inacurate dyno numbers

If your engine needs additional tuning beyond the Edelbrock Supercharger tune then you should inspect the engine compression, plugs, injectors, valves etc.

Hope this helps,

Douglas in Green Bay
You're seriously high on your opinion. You explained it so it must be true. BS.

I own a factory freak. Highest LS2 hp numbers ever recorded by my tuner. Higher than some LS3s. Bone stock on their stingy dyno I put down 370rwhp hot. I had just pulled off the highway. LS7 on the same dyno was 430. They usually pull 430-435.

Most of your post is word-for-word the same as earlier, as if you're quoting from the same propaganda. Whatever.

San
Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 AM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

I own a factory freak. Highest LS2 hp numbers ever recorded by my tuner. Higher than some LS3s. Bone stock on their stingy dyno I put down 370rwhp hot. I had just pulled off the highway. LS7 on the same dyno was 430. They usually pull 430-435.

Most of your post is word-for-word the same as earlier, as if you're quoting from the same propaganda. Whatever.

San
San,

Ok if it makes you feel good then you have the best LS2 Corvette ever made.

I could explain why some engines have more HP then others (after breakin) but I am sure you already know the answer so I won't bother.

Yawwnn

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 AM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Ok your right, Edelbrock wasted hundreds of hours on the dyno. Or maybe the Camaro engine had problems and the tuner was able to compensate for them.

Hmmmm,

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

San
If you didn't measure your LS2 on an engine dyno under a very controlled protocol, as GM does, then you don't know what it's horsepower is. Same goes for the LS3's and LS7's you speak of.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I just picked up a '12 GS and am having is shipped directly to Lingenfelter. I'm trying to decide between the Edelbrock alone, and the 670hp kit with the heads and cam, doesn't include any short block work. The 600hp Edelbrock alone is probably plenty for me. Any comments with experience on the 670hp package? Danger to motor? I'm not a particularly agressive driver.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
apacheav8tr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCIE
I just picked up a '12 GS and am having is shipped directly to Lingenfelter. I'm trying to decide between the Edelbrock alone, and the 670hp kit with the heads and cam, doesn't include any short block work. The 600hp Edelbrock alone is probably plenty for me. Any comments with experience on the 670hp package? Danger to motor? I'm not a particularly agressive driver.
What did you decide on. I just purchased a 2012 CE Grand Sport and I want to supercharge it with Lingenfelter. What are your opinions on the 600hp or the 670hp?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Blauenstein
Intermediate

I decided to buy the Edelbrock with 600HP. I can tell you the difference to the 436 HP stock is mind-boggling....it is insane. It's more than you ever need unless you want to go through a $2k tire package every 3000 miles lol. Do not know the Lingenfelter charger at all but must be a beast. You also may want to look and compare comsumption figures.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,696 Posts

The Edelbrock kit, based on an Eaton design, is a good, well-engineered, reliable bolt-on kit. You will have instant off-throttle power and torque. There are trade-offs in every choice you make and you will have to try to make an informed decision. My personal choice for a Vette would be an A&A or ECS kit, but I won't be doing any major power mods to it.

The stock LS lower end has been shown to stand up under 10 psi boost for a long time; go over this and you start pushing the reasonable reliability limits.

In 2005 my personal choice for my 6000+ lb. Avalanche was an MP112 Magnacharger. I wanted the immediate, off-throttle torque to help get the pig moving. I drove on the stock kit and tune for about a year, then started modding. I'm almost at the end of what I want to do 7 years and 55k miles later. I've stalled it to 2600, added a Vinci Trucker cam, lightly built the tranny, and am currently running on a 3" pulley versus the as-delivered 3.4" pulley. I picked up HP Tuners along the way and have been slowly tweaking the programming as I learn (teach myself, as I've not found any local volunteers to help me out). The kit has been 100% reliable since it was originally bolted on; you should expect the same for the Edelbrock kit.

Knowing this should give you some comfort level that you aren't in much danger if you install the Edelbrock kit and leave it as-delivered. I don't beat the crap out of the Avalanche but I do use the boost on a regular basis; that's what I installed it for, after all!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Blauenstein
Intermediate

I decided to buy the Edelbrock with 600HP. I can tell you the difference to the 436 HP stock is mind-boggling....it is insane. It's more than you ever need unless you want to go through a $2k tire package every 3000 miles lol. Do not know the Lingenfelter charger at all but must be a beast. You also may want to look and compare comsumption figures.

Originally Posted by apacheav8tr
What did you decide on. I just purchased a 2012 CE Grand Sport and I want to supercharge it with Lingenfelter. What are your opinions on the 600hp or the 670hp?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Interesting thread!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:38 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Interesting read....http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_10...r/viewall.html

They say the 599 HP has 7.5# boost on the C6 LS3, and 5.5 # of boost on the 554 HP model. That should not be a problem with the Edelbrock canned tune.

I have a Z06, so I know what a high torque 505HP engine will do in the vette. If it were me, and I had a LS3, I would go with the 554 HP kit, saving money because you don't pay for the Z06 fuel pump or the installation of the Z06 pump. Then, after getting accustomed to the car, if you want to go to 599 HP, purchase and install the smaller pulley and purchase and install the Z06 fuel pump.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-12-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

What's the point of spending thousands of dollars on a SC kit plus time and/or money to install it and then limiting boost to 5.5 psi. Or going through the headache/expense of upgrading the fuel pump to only run 7psi? Not to mention spending that kind of $$ and then getting pulled by a head and cammed LS3

The canned tune and warranty is a joke. I would have serious concerns owning a forced induction car and running it without monitoring/adjusting timing, AFR etc etc on a dyno and the street.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
What's the point of spending thousands of dollars on a SC kit plus time and/or money to install it and then limiting boost to 5.5 psi. Or going through the headache/expense of upgrading the fuel pump to only run 7psi? Not to mention spending that kind of $$ and then getting pulled by a head and cammed LS3

The canned tune and warranty is a joke. I would have serious concerns owning a forced induction car and running it without monitoring/adjusting timing, AFR etc etc on a dyno and the street.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'll agree that going with the canned tune would be a huge waste of potential but for someone who finds a warranty important the options seem pretty limited.
As far as your first statement, other than wanting the warranty there is no reason to limit boost to that. There is plenty of potential in the eforce when properly set up and tuned.
Done right there is plenty of power to be had and so far I have almost 10000 trouble free miles on mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport

Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Maybe because the LS3 has cast pistons with 10.7 CR. The LS9 has forged pistons and 9.1 CR with 10.5 psi boost.

The LSa(CTS-V & ZL1) has 9.0 CR with cast pistons and 9.0 psi boost.

If you don't care about the engine's reliability, then shoot for the moon.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-12-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:23 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Maybe because the LS3 has cast pistons with 10.7 CR. The LS9 has forged pistons and 9.1 CR with 10.5 psi boost.

The LSa(CTS-V & ZL1) has 9.0 CR with cast pistons and 9.0 psi boost.

If you don't care about the engine's reliability, then shoot for the moon.
And???

It's been prooven time and time again that the LS2/LS3 engine can handle a heck of a lot more than 450whp and 7.5lbs of boost reliably for 10's of thousands of miles. Unfortunately with the eforce you have to run a crap load of boost to make power that other FI kits make.

Honestly, going off your thinking, why go FI at all? Since there's a risk associated with it. But the solution is spend $6-8k and have a safe canned tune and make 450whp. Got it..

And how is going with the less expensive eforce kit saving money? You mentioned adding a fuel pump and pully down later. Do you have any idea what that would cost someone in labor? Not to mention it would require a retune. Oh wait...They have a canned tune for that as well.

Here's an ongoing post in the FI section.
Running 16lbs of boost to get an 11.3et in the 1/4mi....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...d-sport-3.html

Last edited by DSOMC6; 06-13-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 AM
4SMOKNU
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blauenstein
Hi all, I am thinking about putting in an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger on my 2011 Grand Sport. The fact that there are 2800 possible error codes and the sensitivity around the tuning kind of scare me a little bit. Would welcome any comments on reliability, performance and other issues experienced with this supercharger or alternative options, respectively

the edelbrock sc is a great choice check out my tune and dyno from lethal racing i made over 680 at the wheels with this sc and a great tune

http://youtu.be/yxMKXSi4hU8

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport