C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
And???

16lbs of boost to get an 11.3et in the 1/4mi....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...d-sport-3.html

As usual when someone doesn't like a product or has never owned it, the bashing involves all kinds of bad information.

As I said, the eforce is a nice looking clean install that gives no more problems than any other major modification when done right.
I don't go to the track often, but on my measly LS2, on a crappy track with no prep, my best was 11.4 while hitting the rev limiter in 2 gears. On a decent track, and with my shift issues sorted out I'm hoping to get to the 10's. This is on 10-11 lbs of boost with the car as I daily drive it for the last 10k miles without issue. I think everyone has a preference and not everyone is concerned with the 1/4 mile so much.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Have it tuned by a tuner on a dyno ,no canned tune will ever compare.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

And???

It's been prooven time and time again that the LS2/LS3 engine can handle a heck of a lot more than 450whp and 7.5lbs of boost reliably for 10's of thousands of miles. Unfortunately with the eforce you have to run a crap load of boost to make power that other FI kits make.

Honestly, going off your thinking, why go FI at all? Since there's a risk associated with it. But the solution is spend $6-8k and have a safe canned tune and make 450whp. Got it..

And how is going with the less expensive eforce kit saving money? You mentioned adding a fuel pump and pully down later. Do you have any idea what that would cost someone in labor? Not to mention it would require a retune. Oh wait...They have a canned tune for that as well.

Here's an ongoing post in the FI section.
Running 16lbs of boost to get an 11.3et in the 1/4mi....
Does a pulley change involve a boat load of labor? Maybe for you, but not for the average tech. How does installing a Z06 fuel pump during the installation of the S/C involve less labor then installing a Z06 fuel pump without the installation of a supercharger? It doesn't. The amount of labor is the same, whether you choose to do the install at the time of the S/C installation, or later(except for the few minutes to pull the car into the service bay on a second trip to the shop). A 554 HP E-Force with 5.5 psi boost will give you ~490 rwhp with a manual, and the 599 HP with 7.5 psi boost will give you ~525 rwhp.

With the E-Force canned tune, you can expect decent power without running on the edge. Of course, you can always tune an E-Force to run on the edge.

The E-Force isn't about making megga millions of horsepower and having the fastest car in the universe(or in your head), but having a reliable engine that is boats loads of fun to drive on the street.

I believe I saw a recent post where a forum vendor is doing the 554 HP E-Force for around $6300, installed.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-13-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The E-Force isn't about making megga millions of horsepower and having the fastest car in the universe(or in your head), but having a reliable engine that is boats loads of fun to drive on the street.
My reason for going with the E-Force.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

You asked about pro/cons of the eforce. The cons are the big heavy cast aluminum coil covers, other than that no issues.
I am curious about the one that blew up if it had Edelbrock tuning or someone tuned it. If you purchase the Edelbrock warranty you have to run their tune. Well you make the most power out of the package, probably not. Regardless of what some have said on here, every car is different and they all run the same tune from the factory because the factory PCM has trims that take into account for that and different fuels.
They also run the cars rich in open loop so difference between different engines is not that big a deal when they are N/A. When you apply boost it is a different story, the Edelbrock tune is has safety in mind because they are sending it out to cars that have not been on there dyno. So with that, you will not see all the timing that your motor may like nor will you see the perfect A/F ratio that your car likes. What you will get is a car that will probably do what they say it will and make 599 flywheel hp which is not real hard for a LS3 to do with a Supercharger. There will be allot left on the table but that is ok if you just want a nice street car to drive that is supercharged.
However like was said earlier, you push to make power you have to be ready for something to fail when you push it past its design limits. Right now I have an LS2 making 607 to the wheels on a stock bottom end. It is a very conservative cal in it, but that does not mean that at some point it might let go. If it does that is the game we play by pushing these cars this hard. If you want a reliable supercharged LS3 that will make way over 600hp then a ZR1 may be what you need to look for.
I personally think the E-Force is a nice system and you should not have any issues as long as it is being installed correctly.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
As usual when someone doesn't like a product or has never owned it, the bashing involves all kinds of bad information.

As I said, the eforce is a nice looking clean install that gives no more problems than any other major modification when done right.
I don't go to the track often, but on my measly LS2, on a crappy track with no prep, my best was 11.4 while hitting the rev limiter in 2 gears. On a decent track, and with my shift issues sorted out I'm hoping to get to the 10's. This is on 10-11 lbs of boost with the car as I daily drive it for the last 10k miles without issue. I think everyone has a preference and not everyone is concerned with the 1/4 mile so much.
Nothing personal... this IS a pro vs con thread. That's all.
But you do prove my point; You increased boost to gain an acceptable power increase thus voiding your warranty.

Does a pulley change involve a boat load of labor? Maybe for you, but not for the average tech. How does installing a Z06 fuel pump during the installation of the S/C involve less labor then installing a Z06 fuel pump without the installation of a supercharger? It doesn't. The amount of labor is the same, whether you choose to do the install at the time of the S/C installation, or later(except for the few minutes to pull the car into the service bay on a second trip to the shop). A 554 HP E-Force with 5.5 psi boost will give you ~490 rwhp with a manual, and the 599 HP with 7.5 psi boost will give you ~525 rwhp.

With the E-Force canned tune, you can expect decent power without running on the edge. Of course, you can always tune an E-Force to run on the edge.

I believe I saw a recent post where a forum vendor is doing the 554 HP E-Force for around $6300, installed.
Well I'm glad in your neck of the woods a fp and pulley swap is only a few simple hours labor.

As far as HP goes, that's exactly my point. Why spend $6300 to gain less than 100whp? Do you really believe a blower car with canned tune is going to be MORE reliable with less long term issues (even only running 5.5psi) than say a head and cam car? Spend 30min on a road course in each and get back to me.

How many SC car owners are going to go through the effort to stay with less than 500whp on a C6 just to have a piece of paper that says "Warranty"? Not many I assure you.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

To the OP: I was dead set on getting an E-Force but have changed my mind mainly cause of price vs performance. To do it right you also need meth not to mention my dry sump LS3 needs extra pieces as well to make it fit. I just can't justify paying over 10k for only 500RWHP boosting a stock motor.

Just going off of Katechs website for example for a dry sump LS3:

$12,400 for a 599HP E-force installed.
$12,900 for a 600HP+ 427 installed.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:49 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's an ongoing post in the FI section.
Running 16lbs of boost to get an 11.3et in the 1/4mi....
I very much dislike the E-Force, but to be fair, that was 16 PSI in the tires, not from the blower
Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I very much dislike the E-Force, but to be fair, that was 16 PSI in the tires, not from the blower
It is a damn good thing the guy had aired down those tires! I can only imagine the b.s. being spread about the car taking 26psi to run 11.3...typical garbage from a typical ignorant hater on this forum.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Threat
To the OP: I was dead set on getting an E-Force but have changed my mind mainly cause of price vs performance. To do it right you also need meth not to mention my dry sump LS3 needs extra pieces as well to make it fit. I just can't justify paying over 10k for only 500RWHP boosting a stock motor.

Just going off of Katechs website for example for a dry sump LS3:

$12,400 for a 599HP E-force installed.
$12,900 for a 600HP+ 427 installed.
Lingenfelter will do a 600 HP E-Force for $9,000

http://lingenfelter.com/engine-packa...300-supercharg

Or a 670 HP E-Force for $13,500.

http://lingenfelter.com/engine-packa...ce-tvs2300-sup
Old 06-13-2012, 03:27 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
It is a damn good thing the guy had aired down those tires! I can only imagine the b.s. being spread about the car taking 26psi to run 11.3...typical garbage from a typical ignorant hater on this forum.
Yeh my bad. Still doesn't change the fact of cost vs results vs the other blower kits.

Hater? How so? Because I don't agree with spending thousands more for the same performance. I'd say ignorance is installing a blower and then being required to keep boost at levels that produce less than desireable output for the majority of FI owners. Unless your agenda is to make a profit off the eforce. Then it's the unimformed customer who is unfortunately ignorant.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Or a 670 HP E-Force for $13,500.

http://lingenfelter.com/engine-packa...ce-tvs2300-sup
$6300 OTD= http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...-tuned-de.html
Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

More like $10,500 if the OPs GS is a dry sump and again, that does not include a meth kit either.

I'll take a Katech installed built and tuned 427 over that any day and still only pay a couple grand more tops for a faster more reliable and more consistent package.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...-tuned-de.html A&A kit installed and tuned for $6300.

$13,845 (over $15000 on a dry sump) to boost a stock motor, wait 3-4 weeks to get it back with a more aggressive cam?

-Please tell me why it's worth doing that for double the money of an A&A or ECS kit which will use your STOCK cam and make MORE power?

-$15,000 plus 3-4 weeks down time will get you a forged short block AND a centri installed with enough power to do 9s so once again, please tell me why boosting your stock motor with an e-force is better than that too?

-$15,000 since you don't mind the more aggressive cam in the 670HP kit, can also get you a big inch LSx motor installed with a mild cam and the car will be lighter, faster, more reliable and more consistent in the heat than an E-Force boosted stock motor.

Last edited by Vette Threat; 06-13-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

More like $10,500 if the OPs GS is a dry sump and again, that does not include a meth kit either.

I'll take a Katech installed built and tuned 427 over that any day and still only pay a couple grand more tops for a faster more reliable and more consistent package.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...-tuned-de.html A&A kit installed and tuned for $6300.

$13,845 (over $15000 on a dry sump) to boost a stock motor, wait 3-4 weeks to get it back with a more aggressive cam?

-Please tell me why it's worth doing that for double the money of an A&A or ECS kit which will use your STOCK cam and make MORE power?

-$15,000 plus 3-4 weeks down time will get you a forged short block AND a centri installed with enough power to do 9s so once again, please tell me why boosting your stock motor with an e-force is better than that too?

-$15,000 since you don't mind the more aggressive cam in the 670HP kit, can also get you a big inch LSx motor installed with a mild cam and the car will be lighter, faster, more reliable and more consistent in the heat than an E-Force boosted stock motor.
I can tell you that you are comparing apples to oranges here. First off, the E-Force is coming with good injectors, it is coming with the proper fuel pump and all the other items needed to make a reliable running setup.
I personally like the A&A kit, but it cannot be properly installed for $6300 unless the supercharger kit is free or the labor is free. To properly do one of these cars there is a host of other items that is really needed. To make the car behave stock requires way more tuning then that canned tune it comes with. For one you need good injectors and a drilled one are only good for one circular file in my office. Second you are using a boost-a-pump to overdrive the stock pump, really bad idea. The ZO6 pump is a much better setup and if you need to you could overdrive that one a little, but bad idea on the stock one. The installation is a whole different matter, is the crank pinned, is the camshaft bolts torqued and lock tightened? You just can't do it for that little of money. I have plenty of customers ask us not do do that stuff to keep the labor down, we don't I would rather not do it at all then to do it half way and have the car come apart later. Some shops get caught up in that and what this other shop will do it for so you have to do it for that also if you want the job, I feel for them if they need the business, but it is still not right. So ranting on here, the e-force is a good deal it comes with allot of stuff, I do happen to like the A&A kit, but we are customizing what they give us into what we like. If you are going to supercharge a Corvette then you are going to spend 10k to do it right period.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Cmon guys. Seriously... 15000.00!!

Thats a bargain. I paid just a little more than that to do my eforce, only it included a built diff with gears, headers and full npp exhaust, an Alky Control kit, installation and tuning, and other things i cant think of right now.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

For the record it takes maybe 30 minutes to swap a pulley (most of that time involves R&R'ing the throttle body) and I can do a fuel pump on jack stands in about 4 hours (manual trans car) working solo. Regardless of what supercharger you choose you have to address the stock C6 fuel pump issue. This isn't something unique to the Edelbrock. Stepping from the 554kit up to the 599kit (pulley and fuel pump) does not require a retune.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Both kits are excellent and aside from costs the Edelbrock does offer several benefits over the A&A kit. We sell alot of both kits and both produce excellent results and are very well made.

#1-Drivetrain Warranty-We've installed alot of E-forces on cars with less than 2000 miles and almost every customer purchased the warranty for peace of mind.

#2-CARB Legal-We're in CA so this does matter BUT if your in a state that doesn't care about emissions it doesn't matter.

#3-Power band-If you never take your car to the track the E-Force is an awesome unit because you get over 400RWTQ at less than 2400RWHP. It's a great blower for a street car.

#4-Turn Key Kit-If you order the the 554HP kit you can do it in your driveway in 2 days with a friend. The kit is very well made, instructions are clear and the tune is pretty good. Obviously it's not as good as a custom tune but it was done by Chris Johnson who is one of the pioneers of tuning whom now works for Edelbrock.

The only down side IMO to the E-Force is the costs which is considerably more than the A&A kit. Andy has done an amazing job over at A&A in developing his kits. We've installed more blowers than just about any one in Northern California and we have had ZERO issues with Andy's kit.... ZERO. With that being said the Edelbrock has been trouble free also with the exception of a few missing parts in kits.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport

Old 06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

That is a used kit.... but we do them for $6599 installed for parts and labor for a brand new kit
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TPSMak

#3-Power band-If you never take your car to the track the E-Force is an awesome unit because you get over 400RWTQ at less than 2400RWHP.
So does the ECS base kit on a stock GS according to the ECS website plus it makes 570RWHP which the e-force cannot do with its base kit on a stock LS3.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

So does the ECS base kit on a stock GS according to the ECS website plus it makes 570RWHP which the e-force cannot do with its base kit on a stock LS3.
Centris will ALWAYS make more power on top than PD blowers... the Eforce will generate more low end TQ and power than centri superchargers

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons Edelbrock Supercharger / 2011 Grand Sport