C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you recommend installing headers doing it yourself in home garage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 AM
omegaboss
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Would you recommend installing headers doing it yourself in home garage?

Has anyone installed headers on their C6 / LS3 with NPP?
Is this something the average guy can do in their garage?
If so what is needed to accomplish it?
Thanks.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:13 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jacks, jackstands, a friend, and some basic hand tools.

Add a few hours, and voila.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 AM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Just did it to my '08 LS3 w/ NPP a couple weekends ago. Pretty straight forward install. Air tools makes removing the old exhaust easier, but it's not necessary. I did it all by myself, but I do have a KwikLift.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 AM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well worth saving the $400-$500 in paying the install. Plus you get more intimately acquainted with your car while fiddling with its nether regions.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'm a taste older than average (70), but did the install by myself. Jackstands, handtools, and a willingness to get your hands dirty, are all that's needed.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:23 PM
omegaboss
Intermediate

I wasn't sure if there was enough room using jackstands where you could get under the car to manipulate the existing exhaust out and manuver the headers in. So I take it is all bolt in hookups with the existing npp?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
the1n_Only
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It takes longer to get the car in the air high enough and back down on the ground then it does to install the headers. This is a good do it your self mod.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do a lot of stuff myself but I paid to have this done. I hate working underneath the car. It was pretty cheap and I needed a trim in one pipe to make it fit so I was glad they did it for me.
Jeff
Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Headers are a piece of cake, even for a novice. I would save the money and DIY. One hint... Spray some sort of penetrant on the exhaust bolts a couple days ahead of time to make the disassembly easier.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 PM
mozz51
Instructor

I'm going to the well of knowledge since I've only my Vette since February. Can you jack front or back end up from one spot to get jack stands under each side and where do you place jack stands. I understand the jacking points aren't a safe place. Thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 11:17 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

If you jack up one corner, it will lift up the whole side of the car. Start by placing the stands under the front and rear cradles, then swap to the lifting pucks. Once in the air you can use the jack under the center of each cradle to swap stands to the normal lifting spots. It only takes a few minutes.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My dad and I did headers on my Mustang GT before and it was a huge pain in the butt. The room just wasn't there for that car. We had to remove a ton of crap just to get to the header bolts and getting everything in was a pain but looking at the design on the LS motors it does seem like it's a ton easier to get them in and out. I can actually see the bolts on my car lol.

Even with the PITA that it was with my Mustang I'm glad I didn't pay to do it. It was worth the busted knuckles and grease in the eyes.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 AM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Originally Posted by mozz51
I'm going to the well of knowledge since I've only my Vette since February. Can you jack front or back end up from one spot to get jack stands under each side and where do you place jack stands. I understand the jacking points aren't a safe place. Thanks

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ml?forum_id=74
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 AM
YELW 06 Z51
Racer

Originally Posted by mozz51
I built special wood cradles for both the front and back that way I can lift the car from one spot and the weight is distributed evenly across the front/rear cradle. The only thing with this is that I needed a low profile jack (at least for the front), but I had wanted one for a while anyways so it was as good as a reason as any to get one.

I was never to keen on the idea of jacking up one side at a time or even having two jacks and lifting one side a little then going to the other side of the car and lifting alittle then back around to the otherside etc...
Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 AM
YELW 06 Z51
Racer

Originally Posted by Kadorja
My dad and I did headers on my Mustang GT before and it was a huge pain in the butt. The room just wasn't there for that car. We had to remove a ton of crap just to get to the header bolts and getting everything in was a pain but looking at the design on the LS motors it does seem like it's a ton easier to get them in and out. I can actually see the bolts on my car lol.

Even with the PITA that it was with my Mustang I'm glad I didn't pay to do it. It was worth the busted knuckles and grease in the eyes.
I've put LT in both and the vette is a walk in the park compaired to the mustang.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

DIY and save! My first time it took a while, but wasn't hard at all.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 PM
mozz51
Instructor

Thanks a bunch for the link and the advice - very helpful! I had no idea how to lift a car with this type of undercarriage.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you recommend installing headers doing it yourself in home garage?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

it depends on the brand of header, they all are slightly different. some slide right in, some dont. what worries me.......questions about how to jack up the car, please be carefull.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:45 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Just a update, put on obx longtubes no cats, sounds amazing with the borla s type 2s. The sound is a lot differant and much more muscle car sounding. Put the headers on in my apartment parking lot, got the car 15 inches off the ground by using 6 2x12x16 under each tire. Fit was good no major issues with the install. Did take 8 hours with the help of a friend/coworker. We are both Toolmakers and mechanics, not used to working on cars but we build and repair machines daily so not that much of a stretch. THE ONE THING I WILL STRESS IS KEEP THE SLAVE CYLINDER HOSE FOR THE HYDRAULIC CLUTCH AWAY FROM THE HEADERS. I MELTED THE HOSE DRIVING THE NEXT DAY AND SPENT 1600 TO GET IT FIXED AT PAUL MASSE CHEVY. The mechanic told me had I moved the hose a 1/4 inch away from the header I would have been fine. Live and learn I guess. I would do it again but would make certain that everything was away from the headers. I wish that I had known before, but hopefully this will help another owner from making the same mistake
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Did my American Racing Headers in my garage by myself on jackstands and had no problems except moving around on my back while holding up cats and x-pipe. If you have a buddy to help it would make it much easier. Also, I swapped the header bolts for ARP studs which made it immensly easier to hang the headers from below by myself.

Quick Reply: Would you recommend installing headers doing it yourself in home garage?