C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket cooling fans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:09 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Aftermarket cooling fans?

We're seeing record high temps here in Atlanta currently and my car is not liking it. As long as I'm moving it seems things stay "fair" but in traffic it gets HOT!

Anyone running an aftermarket cooling fan or dual fan setup on the OEM radiator?

DeWitts is an option for me but I'm interested in hearing from anyone that swapped just the fan only.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:15 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

We get pretty high temps also...
Old 06-30-2012, 04:05 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

It was 111* officially here yesterday. About 102 right now and climbing slowly! Whew......................... thud.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I am running Ragin Racing's dual fans with the stock rad. Obviously there is no difference when the fans aren't running but a big one when they do. When they come on the temps drop much more quickly than with the stock fan. I also have a Casper fan switch so I can turn them on while stuck in traffic or at the track. With the 2bar OS from hptuners you can also set the fans to come on earlier. Mine come on at 95 and drop the temps 12 degrees in a couple of minutes. That's Celsius of course.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Bill Suttie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leavinu, What ambient temps and coolant temps are you seeing at stop lights and stop & go traffic. First fan speed is at 199 degrees and full fan is at 225 degrees with the stock calibration. If your system is not shutting the A/C off to save itself, you do not have a cooling problem.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

I am running the OEM rad with a Spal dual fan.
I recently added more power with a built engine/ bigger blower and also had cooling upgrades done. In combination with a dual fan set up, you might want to try an aftermarket water pump for higher capacity flow. I believe we went with an Edelbrock water pump (or Evans). Of course, a good oil cooler will help with the cooling overall also.
We had that same weather system here in the Dallas area before it reached y'all...it hit 104-106 for like 5 days.
The following users liked this post:
veloz (07-18-2016)
Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I am running Ragin Racing's dual fans with the stock rad. Obviously there is no difference when the fans aren't running but a big one when they do. When they come on the temps drop much more quickly than with the stock fan. I also have a Casper fan switch so I can turn them on while stuck in traffic or at the track. With the 2bar OS from hptuners you can also set the fans to come on earlier. Mine come on at 95 and drop the temps 12 degrees in a couple of minutes. That's Celsius of course.
Is it safe to assume this fan setup is plug-n-play to OEM wiring? Any pics? My fans come on at 192deg and progress from there.

Originally Posted by Bill Suttie
Leavinu, What ambient temps and coolant temps are you seeing at stop lights and stop & go traffic. First fan speed is at 199 degrees and full fan is at 225 degrees with the stock calibration. If your system is not shutting the A/C off to save itself, you do not have a cooling problem.
My car is modified so no stock fan tune for me. Outside temps in low 100's and cruising its running mid 190's while stop lights its 215-232deg currently. Last year it was 215ish regularly and no higher but this year is much hotter weather overall.

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
I am running the OEM rad with a Spal dual fan.
I recently added more power with a built engine/ bigger blower and also had cooling upgrades done. In combination with a dual fan set up, you might want to try an aftermarket water pump for higher capacity flow. I believe we went with an Edelbrock water pump (or Evans). Of course, a good oil cooler will help with the cooling overall also.
We had that same weather system here in the Dallas area before it reached y'all...it hit 104-106 for like 5 days.
Which Spal kit did you get? Ploug-n-play? Any pics?

Thanks for the information folks.

Last edited by LEAVINU; 07-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:52 PM
cantrelmitl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Get in touch with Ron at Vengeance. He ordered my twin SPAL fans from Dewitt and installed on my C5 w/ my existing Ron Davis radiator. I rode yesterday from Canton, GA, through Dawsonville to Dalonegha and never went above 200 on water temp and not above 210 on oil temp. I have an LS7 and EWP . . . I was moving most of the time, but even looked at temps while riding slow in both towns, I didn't get any higher. Of course, had A/C on the whole way and was very comfortable. The fans really kick out some air and fit with stock C5 setup with the tabs just like the OEM plastic setup. Here's the link for C5. http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=378 and the link for C6 http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=427 The C6 setup makes the disclaimer that it will only fit their direct fit radiator and not OEM, but you may want to call EastCoastSupercharging, they may have conquered this issue. C6 not so much a plug & play, cables require splicing also. I would still call East Coast about their setup. Also, Dewitt does run sales that might not be up on the web, you may want to call them direct. Lastly, mine was plug and play and you will hear these bad boys with the windows down, especially when the second fan cuts on. Happy 4th!
Mike C

Last edited by cantrelmitl; 07-01-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added plug and play, not a direct fit on OEM
Old 07-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Mine is the DeWitt's Spal dual fan. I did not do the install, so you might check with DeWitt's on whether it's plug n play. After driving for a bit, my coolant temps were 196-198 on the street back to my house...but I'm sure the water pump helped too.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Bill Suttie
Racer

215 to 232 at idle is not bad as long as it returns to the mid 190's cruising. Repeated WOT hole shots may be a different story. Look into what the other comments are about dual fan assemblies. Good luck. Bill S.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:30 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Is it safe to assume this fan setup is plug-n-play to OEM wiring? Any pics? My fans come on at 192deg and progress from there.

Its totally plug and play with the stock wires. Even the casper switch is also. The kits works great although we modified the brackets a little, although nothing difficult.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:56 PM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im interested in RaginRacin dual fan setup also...

Anyone with more input on it?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 PM
TLTONEY
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Not much to say. the Ragin Racing fans are basically dual spal fans attached together and some aluminum brackets are supplied to make it an easy instal. i suppose if your the do it yourself type you could put a similar arrangement together without too much trouble.
They work great and do exactly what they are supposed to do. i dont have a pic of them in the car and you cant really see much anyways with all the stuff in the way. Just picture that where your one fan is now, there is too smaller ones. The wiring simply splices to the connector that you take off your factory fan and you plug it back into the controller.

Name:  IMG-20111210-00330-1.jpg
Views: 2709
Size:  120.6 KB
Old 07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

215 to 232 at idle is not bad as long as it returns to the mid 190's cruising. Repeated WOT hole shots may be a different story. Look into what the other comments are about dual fan assemblies. Good luck. Bill S.
Yes it's bad when those temps cause the a/c to disengage until temps drop down a bit. Very bad! From what I understand it has more to do with the underhood temps than the actual coolant temps so there is more to this than just that in my case.

Originally Posted by ZBADESTZ
Im interested in RaginRacin dual fan setup also...

Anyone with more input on it?
Found this:
http://www.raginracin.com/Specials.html

while DeWitts has it a good bit cheaper:
http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=427

Last edited by LEAVINU; 07-01-2012 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jason. (03-22-2020)
Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing
Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 AM
magls2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has any one used Royal Purple "Purple Ice® – Radiator Coolant Additive" as an aid ?

See link below for some published testing :

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/produ...lant-additive/

Speaking with Tech support, it is compitable with GM Anti-freeze "the red stuff".

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket cooling fans?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Bill Suttie
Racer

[QUOTE=LEAVINU;1581211021]Yes it's bad when those temps cause the a/c to disengage until temps drop down a bit. Very bad! From what I understand it has more to do with the underhood temps than the actual coolant temps so there is more to this than just that in my case.

Leavinu, One must provide the whole story when seeking advise. The 232 degree coolant temps alone will not cause A/C shutoff.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Leavinu, One must provide the whole story when seeking advise. The 232 degree coolant temps alone will not cause A/C shutoff.
You seem to have no value to add here, why are you still posting?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by magls2
Has any one used Royal Purple "Purple Ice® – Radiator Coolant Additive" as an aid ?

See link below for some published testing :

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/produ...lant-additive/

Speaking with Tech support, it is compitable with GM Anti-freeze "the red stuff".
Never used the RP product but have always used Redline Water Wetter with good results.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket cooling fans?